• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I PLAN to not fly again, unless absolutely necessary.

Yesterday, my SIL was supposed to arrive in IND from Atlanta, they delayed the flight, then cancelled it along with others stating due to weather they had to cancel the flight. Seems like a total crock. No hotel rooms, she is still in the airport waiting for a flight this morning, which has already been delayed.

They stranded a lot of flyers, one was told the next flight he could get would be the 29th.

This is not helping their industry, knowing that this is not just possible but likely to happen I will avoid it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I hate traveling this time of year. When my folks were alive we’d make the trek usually by driving. Some years got really iffy. It seems to be a holiday tradition to see on the news travelers stranded at some airport or another for the holidays. I miss my folks but I don’t miss the drive.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    A major winter storm impacting fully 1/3 of the nation two days before Christmas will disrupt travel. Southwest got double-whammy'd because DEN got smacked on Wednesday which biggly disrupted Southwest's network, then the next day it moved to Chicago which made a bad situation worse.

Timing sucks with the holidays, but when aircraft and crews get out of position (which is more acute since Southwest schedules point-to-point vs. hub-and-spoke) it can take DAYS to recover.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

Yesterday, my SIL was supposed to arrive in IND from Atlanta, they delayed the flight, then cancelled it along with others stating due to weather they had to cancel the flight. Seems like a total crock. No hotel rooms, she is still in the airport waiting for a flight this morning, which has already been delayed.

They stranded a lot of flyers, one was told the next flight he could get would be the 29th.

This is not helping their industry, knowing that this is not just possible but likely to happen I will avoid it.

The flights tend to be uneventful even during blizzards it's the take offs and landings that tend to get dicey. Canceled flights are annoying but don't hold a candle to sliding off runways, collisions, fire, dead bodies, etc. I guess it's all what you're into.

1671980365754.png

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette

Go take a discovery flight sometime. Specifically ask for it on a day when winds are blowing at near max crosswind component for the plane you’ll be in and weather is on the low end of Marginal VFR. See if their most experienced pilot is interested in taking the flight in those winds.

Then come back here and let us know how frustrating it is for an experienced network of pilots to waive off flights. :)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    But cars don't break up in motion if they get sideways (Lauda Air) or the driver handles them a bit rough (AA Airbus Rockaway), and if things do fall off, you can just pull over on the shoulder instead of taking the long fall

So they got that going for them

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I understand "true" weather related issues, I have flown to CO many times for ski trips to DEN then bug smashers to the West slope.

I do not believe this was not weather related, it was the story they were giving. I believe it was actually a staffing issue after things she witnessed & heard at the terminal. Pilots & co-pilots pulled because of too many flight hours, etc. Some passengers were able to go to other airlines & get out.

Part of the frustration is they cancelled her connecting flight right after she took off on the first flight.

Other airlines were flying. I was looking at the cancelled flights, very heavy on Southwest flights.

No blizzard conditions between Atlanta & Miami (these were cancelled too)

I have been a fan of Southwest, till now.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    A major winter storm impacting fully 1/3 of the nation two days before Christmas will disrupt travel.
    And cause Avis to rent your van out from under you.

Inlaws leave on a cruise tomorrow. They reserved a sprinter van for the 8 of them to drive to FL, departing Indy last night.

They called their Avis rep when the weather hit to confirm their rental. "Not sure I can get you guys a van now, sorry."

So apparently Avis will go after the cash being waved in front of their face today over a guaranteed reservation next week.

In the end they had to carpool using POVs.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    I used to travel (Fly) quite a bit for my Job.
    Fortunately now, I Might fly once or twice a year.
    I NEVER fly to or thru ATL-Period!
    Way Too Many Horror stories from Friends & Associates on Hartsfield.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    There is a saying, "When you've time to spare, go by air!" Actually, I haven't flown commercial in over 25 years, so I really can't comment on the quality of service from airlines these days. One thing that nobody has any control over is the weather. I'm sure that we all would agree that it is better to have loved ones safe than in a smoking hole in the ground. As an example:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Coming home from hawaii on the metal death tube was fine until we hit chicago. That flight was delayed and finally cancelled y 1pm but we rented a car and made the trip home that way. That flight finally made it in yesterday at 3:30pm.

We fully plan to fly again because we want to see the world and not be hermits.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    When all the rental cars are gone get yourself a UHaul Truck. Nobody ever thinks of that option.

While not an 8 passenger van you can fit a lot of people and luggage in the box. Just be sure to call “shotgun” first.
    I had already thought of that as well. We were getting home.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    When all the rental cars are gone get yourself a UHaul Truck. Nobody ever thinks of that option.

While not an 8 passenger van you can fit a lot of people and luggage in the box. Just be sure to call “shotgun” first.

Yep, don’t wanna get stuck in the back w/ ol’ Gus Polinski and the Kenosha Kickers (Polka Kings of the Midwest)! :lmfao:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That would be a cold ass trip in the weather we've been having
    Just put one of these in the back and y'all be fine and warm.

iu

Top Bottom