• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Something else to consider, I suppose. The need to talk to someone is strong. To "get it off your chest ".

Detectives and civil attorneys will definitely note media statements.
    I have a question if when he is cleared of any wrong is he protected from being sued?
    I'm thinking good Samaritan law, but that may not apply in these cases?

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I was thinking OJ, but good samaritan threw me off. That's like if you give cpr and break a rib.

No, good samaritan law is for providing emergency care.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have a question if when he is cleared of any wrong is he protected from being sued?
    I'm thinking good Samaritan law, but that may not apply in these cases?

IC Code 34-30-31-1 protects you from civil liability against the bad guy who forced your hand but does not protect you from others. It's entirely possible to save someone and be sued by them for emotional distress, physical injury, etc. but the bad guy can't sue you.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I used to have an EMT card, and knew I was covered. But you made me look it up. Just for medical.
    I ask because a woman helped a conservation officer out around Rising Sun IIRC. The CO was in a fight with the bad guy.
    The bad guy gained the upper hand out on a country road a woman saw what was happening and came out and shot the bad guy, and he died.
    I wonder if the bad guys family went after her in court?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I ask because a woman helped a conservation officer out around Rising Sun IIRC. The CO was in a fight with the bad guy.
    The bad guy gained the upper hand out on a country road a woman saw what was happening and came out and shot the bad guy, and he died.
    If you are talking about the case I think you are, yes she was sued. No idea on the outcome of her case but it is what led to the law protecting people from being sued by the person or their family that was committing the crime. One of the attorneys on this site is/was representing her.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    If you are talking about the case I think you are, yes she was sued. No idea on the outcome of her case but it is what led to the law protecting people from being sued by the person or their family that was committing the crime. One of the attorneys on this site is/was representing her.
    Didn't Guy represent her? And didn't she win? And wasn't a law in her name subsequently passed?

Wasn't that Kystie's Law, providing self-defense civil immunity?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Kystie Phillips. Saved a LEO's life, got sued by the family of the drugged out wacko who got shot. Guy Relford was her attorney. Indiana's civil immunity bill passed in 2019, the ambulance chasers dropped the lawsuit while the bill was still in committee IIRC.

Top Bottom