• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I got the impression that he was waiting until the case was more settled to weigh in. Note the (not direct quote) "some of the people in this thread pointed out potential issues."
    I'm jess guessin the "potential issue" may stem from whose bullets actually struck the damsel in distress. :whistle:

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    "It could have been defused much differently."

STFU... get an attorney...
    Where's that sentiment originating from? Is it a cop monday-morning QB'ing? Is it in reference to the lady, or the shooter? I'm wondering what should have been done differently, admittedly without the benefit of seeing any tape. Were they supposed to pistol-whip the guy? Taser him? Go hands-on with an assailant with a gun? Do nothing? If you're not going to give useable info on what "to" do, instead of what "not" to do, it seems like it might have just been better for everyone involved (including the police) to just say nothing, to avoid prejudicing the potential case against a good samaritan. Unless the intent is just to discourage people in general from getting involved in situations.

It is of course a perfectly valid (and perhaps even preferable) choice in some belief systems for sheepdog-guy to simply stand back, accept that the lady (and her kids') number simply came up that day, and let the lady (and her kids) have what's coming to her / (them), and leave it to the "it's just our job to arrest people" folks to look at the tape from the gas station cameras and get the guy some other day (four car-jackings later).

But given the way criminal justice sometimes works out these days, I can also respect the choice of a citizen who doesn't see the point in the perp being turned loose after the "I just arrest people" people get done "processing" him.

At the end of the day, that guy solved _two_ crimes that day, in a more timely and effective manner than _any_body responding to that call was ever going to.

Last edited:

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Where's that sentiment originating from? Is it a cop monday-morning QB'ing? Is it in reference to the lady, or the shooter? I'm wondering what should have been done differently, admittedly without the benefit of seeing any tape. Were they supposed to pistol-whip the guy? Taser him? Go hands-on with an assailant with a gun? Do nothing? If you're not going to give useable info on what "to" do, instead of what "not" to do, it seems like it might have just been better for everyone involved (including the police) to just say nothing, to avoid prejudicing the potential case against a good samaritan. Unless the intent is just to discourage people in general from getting involved in situations.

It is of course a perfectly valid (and perhaps even preferable) choice in some belief systems for sheepdog-guy to simply stand back, accept that the lady (and her kids') number simply came up that day, and let the lady (and her kids) have what's coming to her / (them), and leave it to the "it's just our job to arrest people" folks to look at the tape from the gas station cameras and get the guy some other day (four car-jackings later).

But given the way criminal justice sometimes works out these days, I can also respect the choice of a citizen who doesn't see the point in the perp being turned loose after the "I just arrest people" people get done "processing" him.

At the end of the day, that guy solved _two_ crimes that day, in a more timely and effective manner than _any_body responding to that call was ever going to.
    That quote was from his interview with the media, the good samaritan said "...it could have been defused differently" which some could interpret as he thought he didn't need to shoot the perp. He also said some other things in the interview that could be construed other than he feared for the lady victim's life her children's safety and that he had no other choice but to shoot the perp.

No doubt the interview was editted by the media, but he seemed to have "diarrhea" of the mouth, just talking and talking.

Not good!

He should STFU and get a mouthpiece... err... attorney. :)

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    That quote was from his interview with the media, the good samaritan said "...it could have been defused differently" which some could interpret as he thought he didn't need to shoot the perp. He also said some other things in the interview that could be construed other than he feared for the lady victim's life her children's safety and that he had no other choice but to shoot the perp.

No doubt the interview was editted by the media, but he seemed to have "diarrhea" of the mouth, just talking and talking.

Not good!

He should STFU and get a mouthpiece... err... attorney. :)
    Wow. Dumb.

But...that's impulsive people for ya'. If they're basically a good person, they will often help out even at expense of not stopping to think of their own self-interest. If he'd had the impulse control not to verbally crap-splat in front of a camera, he probably also wouldn't have intervened in the first place, and the lady might be dead and her kids orphaned right now.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    His statement to the police should have been "I came out and I see the lady stopping the guy from stealing her car with her kids inside... then he attacked her... then he pulled out a gun and feared for everyone's life and safety, so I shot him. I'm happy to testify against him at his trial and will cooperate fully as soon as I consult my attorney."

His statement to the press should be, please talk to my attorney.

Period.

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    "It could have been defused much differently."

STFU... get an attorney...
    That's only half the sentence, right?
    “I didn’t even know he died," Abrams said. "I just thought he fell down. But when they told me that I was like 'damn I wish that this could have been diffused differently'. (I did not want) someone to lose their life."

As far as I know the prosecutors aren't supposed to take sentence fragments. I would hope that if he goes to trial that his lawyer would prep him for that question.

Note: I have not watched the interview myself. So I'm not sure if he said that as a complete thought at another time during the interview.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Wow. Dumb.

But...that's impulsive people for ya'. If they're basically a good person, they will often help out even at expense of not stopping to think of their own self-interest. If he'd had the impulse control not to verbally crap-splat in front of a camera, he probably also wouldn't have intervened in the first place, and the lady might be dead and her kids orphaned right now.
    Until I learn otherwise, I think he did the right thing at the gas station. The lady is sure he saved her and her kids... and at least IMO, completely confirms it was a carjacking in progress, that became an armed carjacking, that ended with an appropriate final status for the perp. That he likely got to the gas station in a car he carjacked at gunpoint less than an hour earlier... well, that's just icing.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    That's only half the sentence, right?

As far as I know the prosecutors aren't supposed to take sentence fragments. I would hope that if he goes to trial that his lawyer would prep him for that question.

Note: I have not watched the interview myself. So I'm not sure if he said that as a complete thought at another time during the interview.
    Watch the interview... the quote isn't accurate... something like "then I found out he died... I wish things... it could have been defused differently." That's the one that struck me as the worst. He also said things that could be construed as the first time he saw the gun was when it was on the ground and a LEO pointed it out, so "the gun came out at some point".

ETA: And wasn't clear when/why he started shooting... again could have just been editting by the press, but don't give them the chance. Let your attorney issue a COHERENT statement.

Just a lot of fail...

JEBland

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Watch the interview... the quote isn't accurate... something like "then I found out he died... I wish things... it could have been defused differently." That's the one that struck me as the worst. He also said things that could be construed as the first time he saw the gun was when it was on the ground and a LEO pointed it out, so "the gun came out at some point".

ETA: And wasn't clear when/why he started shooting... again could have just been editting by the press, but don't give them the chance. Let your attorney issue a COHERENT statement.

Just a lot of fail...
    Of course the interview was in the article that I shared. :ugh:

I can see how when he's trying to make sense of the situation that he might blurt all of that out. I think the video is less damning than the actual words, but I don't envy being the person who actually said all that aloud. [Edited to add: that's of course in addition to whatever he said to law enforcement]

Last edited:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

Just a lot of fail...
    Eh...not the best, but I think he could be coached and the "defused" comment can easily be explained. I read the context of the sentence as, "I wish the dummy hadn't pushed this to such an unpleasant conclusion." I don't think there's much damage in this.

Really, it's going to be hard for the Prosecutor to do much, anyway, with the posture and narrative the female victim is presenting. This is not a George Zimmerman case. This one has a sympathetic, grateful woman with kids involved, who benefited from the actions of the shooter. If the Prosecutor tries anything, this woman is a disaster witness for him. How do you formulate a charge which generates no possibility of that woman going on the stand, given the fact she was a key witness who saw it all go down from arms' reach distance?

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Eh...not the best, but I think he could be coached and the "defused" comment can easily be explained. I read the context of the sentence as, "I wish the dummy hadn't pushed this to such an unpleasant conclusion." I don't think there's much damage in this.

Really, it's going to be hard for the Prosecutor to do much, anyway, with the posture and narrative the female victim is presenting. This is not a George Zimmerman case. This one has a sympathetic, grateful woman with kids involved, who benefited from the actions of the shooter. If the Prosecutor tries anything, this woman is a disaster witness for him. How do you formulate a charge which generates no possibility of that woman going on the stand, given the fact she was a key witness who saw it all go down from arms' reach distance?
    From everything we know... or think we know... it seems pretty clear cut, he shot an armed car jacker attacking a woman to steal her SUV with her kids locked inside.

But we don't know everything and it might not be so clear-cut.

And I didn't hear him say one thing that actually helps him out in a criminal or civil court if it were to ever come to that... and if it did help him, it wouldn't be entered into evidence. He (and anyone in a similar circumstance) can only lose, not win playing the media game... so just don't play it.

Top Bottom