• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    What is the quickest, most reliable tool to sort .380 cases from 9mm brass?

I am looking for a reliable means of sorting without having to visually inspect every case.

Does anyone use these? Anyone have a better option?

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I-dont-always-k2p5oi.jpg

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Last night we loaded 3800 rounds. 39 .380 cases, 2 9x18 cases, and 2 7.62x25 cases made it on to the press.

Obviously we didn't look through this brass well enough. I think Ill try the tray unless anyone comes up with a better suggestion.

Now, if only I could get primers.

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    I NEVER shoot 380 and 9mm in the same outing. Now that said, I can't control what the group shoots when we get together so it is a pain. I may have to try the tray for those times.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    I have used the tray and it does work pretty well. That being said, I still occasionally still find a .380 case in the mix. It also doesn't catch 9mm Makarov reliably.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    What is the quickest, most reliable tool to sort .380 cases from 9mm brass?

I am looking for a reliable means of sorting without having to visually inspect every case.

Does anyone use these? Anyone have a better option?

I use a 3d printed sorter like you show to separate into general categories, but then to cull out the 380 cases I use a 45ACP plastic ammo carrier and pour the sorted cases into the top. The cases will quickly fill the box and then it is easy to see the few cases that are too short (or too long for 38 super) where you can just pick those out. I wouldn't suggest this if you have a high concentration of 380 cases mixed in, but works well for range pickup brass.
    --Rick

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I use a single stage so this may not apply, but I find .380 cases when I go to size them. I don't get many, but when picking up brass, I get all kinds of stuff: 9 mm, .380, 10 mm, 45 acp, some .38 Special cases cut down to 9mm OAL?...

I pitch 380 but put the rest in bags and give them to my friends that load those other rounds.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I bought this brass as a 16k lot. It was supposed to be mechanically sorted and was sold as a lot of 9mm brass. Apparently its only 99% 9mm. I would like to avoid as much tedious hand sorting as possible. Even if it cuts it by 80% that would make a big difference to me I think.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I also use the shell sorter trays. For me they work great. I also have the 380 insert. I sort through all the brass and then go back through the 9mm bucket with the insert. I put the insert in the yellow tray. This way there is more opening below the insert for the 380s to fall through. I'm not saying it's 100%, but it sure beats sorting hundreds of pounds by hand!

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I use a 3d printed sorter like you show to separate into general categories, but then to cull out the 380 cases I use a 45ACP plastic ammo carrier and pour the sorted cases into the top. The cases will quickly fill the box and then it is easy to see the few cases that are too short (or too long for 38 super) where you can just pick those out. I wouldn't suggest this if you have a high concentration of 380 cases mixed in, but works well for range pickup brass.
    --Rick
    Same method I use. I generally flip them over into another .45 tray to check for berdan primed cases.......And rocks. And spiders. And mud......

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I usually stand a handful of cases up on my desk, pick out the short ones. I shoot a lot more 9 than .380 so maybe one case per handful. This tray would make it a lot faster.

Volt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Southport
    This is just my opinion but inspection of brass is a very important step in my quality control process so that being said, I use my eyes because I am inspecting every case, every time anyway. If one happens to slip through my initial inspection and sorting I will catch it once I put them in the trays and looking at the from them side and picking out the shorty brass.

Top Bottom