• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    Don’t buy a BP revolver. How will anyone know you are qualified to own it since the dealer isn’t going to do a NICS check? Your purchase could create a dangerous situation without government guidance.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Load carefully --Our range rules --only loading one cylinder at a time do to a multitude cylinder ignition that happened many years ago.
    Do you mean cylinder, or chamber? I can't imagine most BP revolver shooters are commonly loading multiple cylinders, unless in some sort of competition scenario.

If you mean chamber, then yeah, forget that noise.

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    Good Lord. I would be finding a new range.
    I personally use a single shot T.C. Patriot -- Been shooting black powder for 55 years --I was at the club when the chain fire happened --New shooter using the wrong Caps. We believe when he raised the pistol for a second shot one of the caps fell off igniting a second cylinder -- Fellow shooter got some lead spray -- Small volunteer club-- Not real good insurance.

Ortgies

Plinker
    Oct 14, 2022
    7597 W. C.R, 800 N.
    Please talk me out of it. I have close to 1000 lb of clean lead and it seems like a good route to go. Thoughts?
    O.K., don't buy a muzzle loading revolver,.......buy two...EMF, Cabella's, et al, have them at good prices, and with two , you won't have to reload as frequently. (and then there's the whole, "little paperwork" thingy). Have a blast ........(sorry).....
    Ralph

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    As to buying a black powder revolver... don't do it because they will start multiplying like AR15's do in the safe the very night you get the first one... Just saying...

Attachments

• bprevolvers.jpg
      bprevolvers.jpg
      130.4 KB · Views: 4

PSOD

Probably on the toilet
    Site Supporter
    Apr 24, 2023
    Owen/Clay county
    As to buying a black powder revolver... don't do it because they will start multiplying like AR15's do in the safe the very night you get the first one... Just saying...
    the good ole slippery slope argument. while i do agree with your logic i cant discount the magnitude of fun a black powder revolver brings to the table. worth considering for sure

Morgan12

Plinker
    Apr 23, 2023
    Illinois
    I honestly love my cap and balls the boom and smoke make me laugh every time. They just have their own sound. With that much lead if you got a 32 or a 36 you could shoot for a lifetime. I like the look of the 1860 colts but find the 1858 Remingtons to be a better gun. Clean up is very very easy just hot water and soap. I’d love to get another 1860 and another 1858 but I really need to get a .36 call first to match my full stock 36.

Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    ....BP revolvers can be fun but if you desire to go do cowboy shooting....make sure you're comfortable with loading them between rounds fairly quickly and have the tools and such to do maintenance on the fly....NCOWS and SASS old timers tend to grumble about the BP shooters and the cap and ball shooters in particular.... It should go without saying, stay away from the brass framed guns if you're serious about shooting them. My .02¢ others mileage may vary.....

Top Bottom