• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Just want to give an update; I heard from the Leupold tech this evening, he emailed me and called me. They`re sending me a replacement scope. The tech was extremely apologetic for all the delays, and their having to upgrade the scope because they don`t make that scope anymore. Unfortunately, they don`t even have the new scope in stock and cannot estimate when they might be able to ship, but of course he said ASAP. The old scope was a VariX 2or 3, 3x9, I don`t remember which and I didn`t ask. It was the silver finish and they don`t make that finish anymore either. So as it stands now, they`re going to replace that scope with a VX3 HD 3 1/2x10, and, due to all the time and hassle, they`re throwing in a new base and rings as well.

I have no idea when I`ll finally have the new scope and base and rings, but hopefully, it will be in time to get the rifle zeroed FINALLY and have ready for firearms season. It will be sporting a brand new Leupold upgraded scope, and I`m absolutely convinced that the new scope will finally have this rifle shooting as well as it possibly can.

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    I have been happy with Burris and Sightron, both roll out of the Philippines. Don’t have a Riton scope but I do own a set of binoculars. The x5 & x7 series are Japanese, but their x1 & x3 series are Chinese.
    The majority of Sightron scopes are made in Japan. Maybe 1/5 come out of the Phillipines.

Kneedeep87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2021
    Fort wayne
    I think vortex is the way to go. Alot of options on mag and price ranges. Lifetime no questions asked warranty. One I have is the medium priced and the other is the cheaper version for my .22lr. Neither have had any problems.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Back in the day, I had some Leupold gold ring scopes. Now, I don't have a single one of them and I don't miss them.

I'm all in on Vortex. For one thing, Alan at AAOptics is an outstanding resource for information and advice. The refurbs are an absolute steal of a deal. Lastly, I absolutely love how Vortex supports Guardian events and gives back to its own community. If you ever get a chance to see the prize table at a PRS event or even more impressively look at a Guardian Rifle Match prize table. Vortex goes wild supporting Guardian and that tells me right where their heart is. Vortex has my respect for quality products, with outstanding warranty's and their heart is in the right place.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    OP, if your scope was a 3-9X then it was a 2 series (Vari X ii, Vari X II or VX2).
    The 3 series (Vari X iii, Vari X III and VX3) has a model on each side of the 3-9X type........a 2.5-8X and a 3.5-10X. No 3-9X 3 series were made.

Silver and Gloss scopes are no longer produced by Leupold, although the latter could be had in the custom shop (which is no more). Silver have been gone for some time.

Leupold did do a 3-9X in the VX1 as well as the Rifleman series.

I think Leupold subscribes to the Ruger principle, ships everything and lets the warranty system fix any bad ones. No containment, just return.

Hopefully your new scope solves the problem. Being a Leupold, I wont take that bet.
    I have a VX3i on my .30-06 and it dialed in without issue, while one turret dialed crisp, the other was a bit mushy. Worked, but felt cheap. It has held zero.

So far.

Think it's gonna be replaced w a Swaro Z3 whenever Cameraland gets more.

Hoosierdaddy1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2015
    Camby
    Always kills me when guys go cheap on glass. Got a buddy that has a $7500 McWhorter and won’t spend over $350 for glass on it. I generally spend more on glass than my my rifle cost.
    I still like Leupold for being economical and a great warranty (especially the VX-5HD or VX-6HD) but prefer a Zeiss or Swarovski

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I've been happy with the quality and performance of my Vortex 1-4x Viper. It was less than $500 when I bought it years ago.

If you need higher magnification, decent glass will cost ya.

Top Bottom