• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I`ve sent a scope back to Leupold for the second time, and they seem to really be dragging their feet on getting back to me on what issues they`re finding with it. I have been a fan of Leupold for years, they`re the only scopes I have on any of my longarms. But I`m rethinking that due to the way this entire issue has been handles. I may move on from Leupold.

What scopes do you all use? What are good performing and reliable scopes that are somewhat economical?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    old and stuck in my ways here. I like gloss finish scopes so many of my choices are old like me and I am sure glass and tech has changed but my choice in scopes has not. Most of mine are Gun show table buys or take off,s on rifles I have sold or came with rifles I have purchased.

I have leupold, (a newer one and some old ones. ) have had zero issues. i have one of there cheapest made ones that is not mounted on anything I think it is a rifleman. (It was in the discount bin years ago at dunhams Anderson Indiana for a price I could not refuse) I have three M8’s and two compact,s. Beware of China knockoffs. Been seening lots of knockoffs that look like the real thing. I have a silver scout scope that rocks out.

A weaver or three manly fixed target scopes. Been consistent but one has an eye relief issue. I have one of the African dangerous game scopes on a 45-70 and it works great. would Be my favorite if it had the German instead of the wide duplex. I did buy this new from the scope shop in Texas.

old Denver made redfields and their gold five stars (made in Japan I think.) love these classics on classic rifles of the time the scopes were made. In there day these were the cats meow of scopes. Few gold five stars get passed up if on the dealer tables If I see them.

pentex’s a guy I bought a small collection from all had Pentax scopes mounted on them and still do. They work fine.

I have an old Tasco AO TARGET made in Japan I got years ago that seems to work well beyond the 50 I paid for it,

I have a couple Simmons take offs from rifles I have either upgraded the scope on or sold the rifle off, nothing to write home about but ok for free stuff. I tend to give these out to people who want to scope a rifle when they get started. Here mount this on it. I have a 22 mag scope on a 10/22 beater that has held up to the hell I put that gun into.

pistols scopes I have the burris variable on a few contenders and a few SWIFT PREMIER SERIES FIXED POWERS. I will admit if I am going to put it on something with a wicked recoil on goes a swift.

allen here has sold me on vortex scopes but I don’t buy many because they are all matte finish. They do track well. The glass is good and the price is good. I have a viper a diamond back and a crossfire. Vortex make a gloss finish for us stuck in the 1980,s guys.

I HAVE A SUPER SNIPER I enjoy on a 308.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The old Pentax was actually Burris.

On many scopes, esp cheaper imports....eye relief may be on the short side. The Simmons Pro Hunters IIRC were 2.5".

Even if decent eye relief, how is the FOV?
    Or how forgiving the eyebox?

While you suspect the Leupold to be defective and it might be, have you tried a different scope to check the rifle?

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Most scope brands come from the same overseas factories so it becomes an issue of warranty service or spending enough to get a higher quality scope.

importyeti.com has records of where vortex, Leupold, sig, and all the rest get their scopes.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have been happy with Burris and Sightron, both roll out of the Philippines. Don’t have a Riton scope but I do own a set of binoculars. The x5 & x7 series are Japanese, but their x1 & x3 series are Chinese.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I`ve sent a scope back to Leupold for the second time, and they seem to really be dragging their feet on getting back to me on what issues they`re finding with it. I have been a fan of Leupold for years, they`re the only scopes I have on any of my longarms. But I`m rethinking that due to the way this entire issue has been handles. I may move on from Leupold.

What scopes do you all use? What are good performing and reliable scopes that are somewhat economical?
    Vortex. Great scopes for all budgets, great warranty, great customer service.

Picked up a Bushnell AR scope shot it in. It is pretty darn good too for the money so far. Only have 40rds on it so long way to go yet.

Swampfox optics also has great customer service and some nice optics. They give a very nice veterans discount also.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    On my rifles, all used for hunting, I am using Nikon Pro Staff. Nice glass for the dollar and I have had no issues with the 5 I have. Keep in mind majority of my hunting is under 200 yards. Not to mention Nikon got out of the rifle scope business.

Only one I have strayed on is my longer range rig for elk hunting. I am using Zeiss there. Can't call it economical since it cost more than 4x-5x any of my Nikons.

I had a lower end Bushnell and Weaver several years back (came with rifles I picked up used) and quickly replaced them. Wasn't pleased with glass & reticle quality. But these were pretty old models and definitely low priced models.

Leupold was on my list for my next rifle scope as was Vortex & Sig. But no experience with any of these.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have had good luck with Burris. I do have a Nikon on one rifle that is very good optics, but I have not shot it that much so I don't know if it will hold up.

The fixed power T (target) series Weavers have usable glass, nothing special, but the tracking of the adjustments are very accurate and repeatable through the whole range of travel. Sometimes you need a great, bright picture, sometimes you need a lot of tracking.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have all Leupold.
    And am looking to upgrade.

Can tolerate a Japanese scope.
    But would prefer Euro manufacture.

Aint made of money.
    But time on this rock is getting shorter and I refuse to tolerate nonsense.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    So as usual with glass threads what would the OP consider economical? That would make giving suggestions a lot easier. But then again when dealing with long guns I like the European concept , spend as much on the glass as you did the rifle.

Since $750 and up is out my usual recommendation of the Vortex PST Gen 2's are out.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So as usual with glass threads what would the OP consider economical? That would make giving suggestions a lot easier. But then again when dealing with long guns I like the European concept , spend as much on the glass as you did the rifle.

Since $750 and up is out my usual recommendation of the Vortex PST Gen 2's are out.
    Use case is another important detail.

Try AAOptics Vortex refurbs. Full warranty for less money. You might get lucky and find something that fits your needs.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central

Likely $350-ish. If I were able to go $500, it`d be like playing lottery winner.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Likely $350-ish. If I were able to go $500, it`d be like playing lottery winner.
    I've got a rimfire version of this on backorder from CameraLandNY: https://meopta.store/collections/me...ro-optika5-2-10x42-sfp?variant=33251806969942
    CameraLandNY and BHphotovideo both have them on backorder and just a hair cheaper (you could call them and ask about stock, estimated dates, etc). My Optika6 is mounted, but not yet used for hunting, so I can't comment explicitly on it. Optika6 says Czech Republic on it. There's no way to avoid Chinesium for $350 that I know of. All are assembled in CZ or USA:
    All of our optics are made at our facilities in the Czech Republic and the U.S.A.
    https://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/us/faq/

Looks like Jap version of Zeiss is where im going.
    I've killed a few whitetail with a Zeiss Conquest I got when Gander got bought out. It says assembled in USA on it, but I'm sure the glass is sourced (I think from Japan for the conquest at that time).

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I have a mixture of Leupold, Weaver, Vortex, Zeiss, and Burris. I'll pick up a Burris if I find a good deal but they never seem to end up on my primary rifles. Vortex makes some nice stuff but I prefer them for tactical firearms over hunting rifles. For new hunting scopes $350 or less, it is hard to beat the quality/value of a Weaver from Natchez Shooters Supply, IMO. However, a used older model Zeiss Conquest should be in that price range and the glass is better than anything else I've looked through in that price range.

Top Bottom