• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    Kydex arrived today. I opted for the quick paddles on the OWB. Pretty nice setup for the money. However I think I’m chasing a unicorn wanting a 1911 to conceal like the smaller pistols I’m used to. Even at 3 o’clock the butt of the pistol prints in a sport coat / suit jacket.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    OWB will never compare to IWB for concealment. OWB just cannot pull the grip in comparably, on top of blending the frame and holster under a layer of material and belt.

If it's a Phantom like holster, IWB loops wouldn't cost much to be able to poke that whole thing IWB.

Might have to adjust your cant a bit forward to keep your grip high on your side?

Last edited:

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    OWB will never compare to IWB for concealment. OWB just cannot pull the grip in comparably, on top of blending the frame and holster under a layer of material and belt.

If it's a Phantom like holster, IWB loops wouldn't cost much to be able to poke that whole thing IWB.

Might have to adjust your cant a bit forward to keep your grip high on your side?

I’m coming to this conclusion as well. Bravo is good stuff for the price but I’m going to try the Crossbreed Reckoning + Ulticlip Crux. Kydex alone doesn’t seem as stable or tight as the hybrid.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I’m coming to this conclusion as well. Bravo is good stuff for the price but I’m going to try the Crossbreed Reckoning + Ulticlip Crux. Kydex alone doesn’t seem as stable or tight as the hybrid.

I think just the opposite. I wouldn't trust leather laying up against me to not pick up moisture and eventually get sloppy.

I've carried in RCS and now Bravo for years and years. I used to game it a bit when shooting USPSA or steel matches with an OWB Phantom, but got away from that in recent years. I just use my regular carry gear. Same gear I carry with every day. Shooting, gardening, paddling, fishing, everything. Lottsa physical sweaty stuff in the summer, less in the cold months, but the gun is still there.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    The shop Vert mentioned also carries 1791 gunleather. I have been carrying a 1911 commander for some years, paired with a bigfoot gunbelt, and have not had a single complaint. The retention is good, it doesn't "flop" on my body, and conceals very well for an OWB.

I'm also one of the 1911+leather=beauty crowd. Best of luck in your search. FWIW, I have a pile of holsters trying to find that "right one".

I sent the Crossbreed order back. The Reckoning holster is a less comfortable version of the Supertuck IMO. Might be perfect for a smaller/lighter pistol and would work for appendix carry but not for the DW. Just ordered a 1791 holster and a belt from August+Peel to see how they ride. This belt is reinforced with some type of plastic. If it’s not rigid enough I’ll try the Bigfoot. Appreciate the recommendation on this.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just got another Bravo order in yesterday. Two light bearing / RDS cut Gen 5 G19 OWB holsters for $53 to my door. Dunno how you can beat that?

https://www.bravoconcealment.com/collections/buy-1-gun-holster-get-1-free

I received the holsters in a week. A testament to carrying the most popular sidearm and the most popular weapon light.

I got duplicates, rather than a variety. One of them is on my hip right now. It will live on my lounge pants, that I occasionally wear throughout the day, but more often wear when it's dark out.

I'm thinking the other holster will reside in my car bag in case I decide to carry the G45 or G19 with the light. I don't carry with the x300 most of the time for the bulk of it, but there is no denying the advantage of it in the dark, if one would actually have to use the gun.

An interesting thing about light bearing holsters is that they make for great storage for weapon lights not in use. I'll leave two x300's in these holsters. You always know where the lights are and just have to holster the gun to bring it out with light attached.

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville
    For what it's worth. I have a friend in Col. He carried a 1911 SOB. He slipped on some black ice in his driveway, landed on the firearm and fractured a couple of vertebrae. Yes its a one in a million chance, but ...sh@#t happens.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I just have to put in my :twocents:

Just carry.

OBC Off Body Carry is the worst form of not really carrying.

SOB Small Of Back carry is the worst form of carry, because there is NO defense for being disarmed.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    1791 Gunleather holster and magazine pouch arrived a few days ago. These are keepers. Thanks to all for your experience and advice.

You will like the 1791. Good, thick leather for affordable price. I have one for a 1911. It works well once it’s broke in.

Looking back through this thread it would appear I have a few 1911 holsters.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is bravo concealment still being jerk faces and discriminating against those of us who are left handed?

Years ago I started shopping for a holster and saw there’s thinking they might be a good fit for me. A year later I went back to order and discovered left hand was no longer an option on any holster.
    Bravo Concealment now advertising left handed G19 holsters. Still advertising BOGO.

1627093076515.png

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Decided to try carrying my Dan Wesson 1911 in a Falco SOB holster. I’m 5’ 9” and 190#. Even with a quality gun belt tightened to near discomfort the pistol feels floppy and rotates along the bore axis. I’m thinking that this is unavoidable when wearing a pistol of this size and weight but thought I’d solicit some advice from the fine folks here on INGO. Any advice is appreciated.

v
    Not to come across the wrong way, but why sob?
    Have you weighed the cost to benefit? Honestly I can really not think of a benefit of sob carry.

If you are sold on sob carry, practice your draw, getting on target, reholstering etc then decide if this is the best option for you?

I carry a Full size steel 1911, and a P365 daily. Off hours I carry iwb in a Milt Sparks holster, there is no flop, the holster is both secure, comfortable and well made.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'll second WCD. SOB is a bad bad idea. One I also thought was good at one time until the potential for SERIOUS bodily injury during a fall was brought up. Serious as in wheelchair bad. A bad fall directly on the gun could in a worst case scenario cause lower Lumbar vertebrae to stay put on top of the gun while upper vertebrae (say around L3 or L4) to continue to travel, shearing the spine, damaging it.

Shift to either side of the spine (5 or 7 oclock) and there is much less to damage. And its just as easy to conceal.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks. Though they have COMPLETELY changed their holster design. Reminds me of an Uncle Mike's tactical.
    I was skeptical myself, but I went ahead and got one as the BOGO. 2 holsters for 50 bucks...

I carry with that holster IWB now every day, all day. That fugly looking holster lives on whatever are my (Duluth) daily pants or shorts. I have it on right now. Been running the dumb end of a shovel a lot of the day, when not planting and watering the garden, when not feeding the neighbors chickens.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Am I the only one that finds it suspect that they have completely redesigned how the holsters are made 110%, but the video on the website about their durability is the original design from several years ago?

How was the durability of their old style relevant to the new style? (Rhetorical question)

ann mg a I liked the look of the original.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I could be mistaken, but I just assumed that the holster industry overall has headed towards the injection molding route?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I could be mistaken, but I just assumed that the holster industry overall has headed towards the injection molding route?

Which is a shame, because a while back there was a video about Serpas (not for what you think) where an instructor disarms the guy by ripping the injection molded POS holster off the guy's belt from behind.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have pretty much always carried at 4 o clock. Appendix seems to close to the twigs and berries. Ankle holsters I finally found a good one for a model 60 smith but wear it rarely. I have two Miami classics shoulder holster I love when I will be getting in and out of the truck over and over.

Get what seems to work for you. All systems have strengths and weaknesses. Ankle Cary alone is hard to get to. Some say the shoulder holster is dangerous while drawing. At 4 o’clock you will most likely print the firearm. Appendix carry well.
    I have a 1911 holster that has a leg strap. Prefect drawing height extra mag holder. I mainly use it with my mark 2 ruger pistol.
    that is the best 1911 holster I have but carry like that in public would even make ingo’ers go ???

Top Bottom