• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Like Jim I like leather, something about 1911s and leather just seem to go together. But good quality leather is going to cost a bit more. I have actually switched to Kydex. I have not had any issues with my gun flopping around and I do all sorts of activities while wearing a gun. My favorite is a 5” 1911 in a Raven Phantom, which I believe is now discontinued. Before that I used the leather Wilson Lo Profile. The holsters are actually very similar other then material from which they are constructed. I switched to a 4.25” Commander sized 1911 and carry that IWB in a Comp-Tac MTac or OWB in a Bravo Concealment brand holster. Really any kydex 4.25” 1911 holster from a reputable manufacturer would work. The secret is the belt.

Yes Belt is very important. Here is a IWB Galco Horsehide I have carried for over 35 years. Comfortable and comforting to wear. Note smooth side to gun, 1 3/4 re enforced double 9 oz leather belt. Growing up carrying a Model 29 for 20 some years, I never warmed up to the gunwriters that said.....I wish they would make aluminum frames and lighter guns. Perhaps for carry and never shooting I can see. I have watched the industry lighten guns, cheapen holsters, go to web belts and add sweat guards along with no lining at all along with improper care and feeding which results in weakening the leather. I guess they have never been around professional tack care. I know, I know....dying breed.

fff.jpg

xx.jpg

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I think this is what I’ll try next. Any specific recommendations? The options out there are mind numbing...

EDIT: The pistol is a Dan Wesson CCO with 4.25” barrel and I’d like the barrel to be completely enclosed by the leather or Kydex.

If you're not sure this will be what you end up with and don't want to spend a bunch of $$, Bravo Concealment is a great value.

https://www.bravoconcealment.com

They have some good sales and their product is good quality, as is their customer service.

Your specific DW 4.25" link.
    https://www.bravoconcealment.com/collections/dan-wesson-1911-4-25-rail-holsters

25% off AND buy one get one free. Two holsters for under $50 shipped. And I'd still pay $50 for just one.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    If you're not sure this will be what you end up with and don't want to spend a bunch of $$, Bravo Concealment is a great value.

https://www.bravoconcealment.com

They have some good sales and their product is good quality, as is their customer service.

Your specific DW 4.25" link.
    https://www.bravoconcealment.com/collections/dan-wesson-1911-4-25-rail-holsters

25% off AND buy one get one free. Two holsters for under $50 shipped. And I'd still pay $50 for just one.

That’s a smokin’ deal for 2 holsters. I think I’m going to start here. With a 30 day return policy I can’t really loose. Appreciate the referral and link! :ingo:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    That’s a smokin’ deal for 2 holsters. I think I’m going to start here. With a 30 day return policy I can’t really loose. Appreciate the referral and link! :ingo:

Bravo Concealment is decent gear. Not high end mind you but functional and a good value. The shop I help out in brought a bunch of their holsters in to sell. So of course I had to test the product. No complaints. Now to make TJs head explode. I am carrying a Nighthawk 9mm around in a kydex holster and have no complaints. 1911 in 9mm and in a plastic holster. I’ll wait with the mop to sop up the brain goo.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Is bravo concealment still being jerk faces and discriminating against those of us who are left handed?

Years ago I started shopping for a holster and saw there’s thinking they might be a good fit for me. A year later I went back to order and discovered left hand was no longer an option on any holster.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Is bravo concealment still being jerk faces and discriminating against those of us who are left handed?

Years ago I started shopping for a holster and saw there’s thinking they might be a good fit for me. A year later I went back to order and discovered left hand was no longer an option on any holster.

Everything I clicked on said Right hand draw.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I am vaguely remembering that it happened when they got a govt contract and the excuse was they were trimming their retail offerings because they were too busy making them for Uncle Sam to continue selling everything they were able to make at the time. (Some holster models also went away)

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

Yes. They are stingy about what models they make too. I had to go to another company for my XDm.

But what they do have is good.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    The shop Vert mentioned also carries 1791 gunleather. I have been carrying a 1911 commander for some years, paired with a bigfoot gunbelt, and have not had a single complaint. The retention is good, it doesn't "flop" on my body, and conceals very well for an OWB.

I'm also one of the 1911+leather=beauty crowd. Best of luck in your search. FWIW, I have a pile of holsters trying to find that "right one".

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    Bravo Concealment is decent gear. Not high end mind you but functional and a good value. The shop I help out in brought a bunch of their holsters in to sell. So of course I had to test the product. No complaints. Now to make TJs head explode. I am carrying a Nighthawk 9mm around in a kydex holster and have no complaints. 1911 in 9mm and in a plastic holster. I’ll wait with the mop to sop up the brain goo.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    I was leaning towards a Crossbreed. I’ve had 2 Supertucks (previous 1911 and a Walther PPS). They make quality gear and the Reconing looked looks like a bit of a Goldilocks. However it’s a bit of fuss to convert from IWB to OWB and for the money I’m willing to try all Kydex.

I noticed with the SOB holster how much of a PITA it is put on and take off the belt. Both the Crossbreed and the Bravo have OWB options that fit tight to the body but drop into your belt.

If this doesn’t work out Crossbreed has a 14 day trial too.

My local shop Triple M will make an OWB in leather to spec if desired. I agree a 1911 seems like it belongs in leather but I’ve been using Kydex and prefer that click when the pistol goes home.

I appreciate all the responses and will post back with impressions on both the OWB and IWB options that are en route. There were several different opinions on materials but everyone seemed to agree that a strong side carry with a proper belt is it way to go with this pistol.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

LOL.
    holster and gun disarm disarm. (usacarry.com)

Best wishes to you plastic types.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    LOL.

Ha. Well Fobus Paddle holsters and open carry aren’t exactly what we are talking about here. Quality Kydex is cheaper, thinner/conceals better, keeps its shape, no break in, gun snaps into place and is sweat resistant. Leather is more comfortable, requires a break in period, easier on the guns finish, looks better and doesn’t pick up dust and grit as bad.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I don't see it mentioned and I'm not sure if the OP is still trying for SOB carry so... OWB SOB is never going to get tensioned no matter how tight you run the belt because physics. In every other position (except appendix for anorexics) the gun is placed on a convex surface of the body so the belt tightens against that convex surface. SOB carry puts the gun on a FLAT part (or, for big guys, concave) so tightening the belt tensions parallel to the surface rather than tightening against the surface. You can create a convex-ish surface by going IWB SOB but OWB will never tighten up. A steel-lined belt may help but you're still fighting physics.

and another vote against for all the previously mentioned reasons: spinal injury on a fall, chair issues, theft issues, reholstering issues...

LOL.

Not a plastic holder problem, that's a ****ty holster problem.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm with Harry, 3:00 IWB kydex. 1911 lays right on you and goes nowhere. Falls, summersaults, backed into obstructions, wrasslin' with bad guys, the gun stays yours.

Accessible with both hands, minimal chair, seat belt and door frame banging. Much less clothing and car seat wear than most other holster carry options.

Kydex is thin and, if done right, doesn't require an uptick in pants size for a skinny 1911.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I'm with Harry, 3:00 IWB kydex. 1911 lays right on you and goes nowhere. Falls, summersaults, backed into obstructions, wrasslin' with bad guys, the gun stays yours.

Accessible with both hands, minimal chair, seat belt and door frame banging. Much less clothing and car seat wear than most other holster carry options.

Kydex is thin and, if done right, doesn't require an uptick in pants size for a skinny 1911.

Would that be a belt loop design or metal clip?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Did it take long to break in the snaps. I assume they are Omni directional?

They are one directional, from the top, and stiff. After years and years, I'm still not sure they are broken in. I practically never use the snaps, threading the belt through the holster loops when threaded through the pants loops.

Top Bottom