• ...and so much more!
  • bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I never really worried about my end as a younger me and did as many here did and burnt the candle at both ends and tried to find as much fun and adrenaline I could.
    After 2 open hearts for valve replacements, internal jump pack installation, and 3 surgeries to repair 7 vertebrae I have had to set the cruise at a much slower pace. Everyday is a fight against pain for me but the old man upstairs, yes i said it "old man", and I talk frequently so i know he has a since of humor, he did create the platypus for goodness sake, granted me the knowledge that getting older is not for the faint of heart and every sunrise should be appreciated and taken advantage of. I know my days are numbered and I will do just about anything now to stay here, my grandkids helped me realize that. Am I worried about dying, no, but I will go kickn and screamn :cool:

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Sounds like you should discuss these feelings with your physician. Depression can be treated.
    Huh? I hope you are kidding in some way, but I'm guessing your not.

Acceptance of the inevitable should be treated with medication? Please excuse my somber tone. I am enjoying life now in middle age more than I ever have before. I know what is coming and I am alright with it..

I have witnessed and dealt with the passing of my grandparents and both my parents. I have seen it first hand. I strive everyday to be at peace with my maker and most days I am fairly successful at it.

To spin it another way, how many times have you wished you could know the future? Was I really saying anything less or more?

If I knew my own personal timeline, I think I would be more daring and probably do far more than what I would do not knowing. Retirement savings intended to last 25 years? Oh yeah! Spending it all in 12 months or less? Woo-Hoo!

Thanks for feeling sad for me but it really isn't necessary.

I am going to die someday. So are you. So is everyone we have ever known. That is the way it works.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I am 57.
    I recently went through vein replacement surgery in my right leg.
    4 hour surgery, 70 staples.

Before I went in, I documented my bank account info, and life insurance details.
    This made my wife feel a little better.

Now, I am spending savings getting things done to our home.
    My hope is that if anything happens to me it will make things easier on the wife.
    I am taking the time to explain to her how to do some of things I normally take cake of.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I see the sage advice in this thread about not not wasting time. It does hit home with me. Not having the responsibilities I previously described leaves me free in a way that most people will never experience. I consider it a blessing. We have all had blessings in different ways. This is just the way mine turned out.

There is so much more that I would like to do than report for work and save for retirement. You guys are inspiring me here...

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have always thought the song by Garth Brooks, "The Dance" was very well said and I try to live by it. I don't want to know, I want to live in the present. The past is past, the future is in the future, but the present is a PRESENT, to be lived and cherished.
    I can't make it through that song. Choked up just seeing you write it.

I was running in 2015 a few weeks after we lost our daughter and that song came on.

I love this quote about living..

24 hour bp garage near me

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    “It is appointed unto man once to die, and after that the judgement.”

Every one of us has an appointment scheduled, written in stone. Yet none of us knows when that appointment will be. One thing or another has been trying to kill me since I was born. It just wasn’t my turn to be called in for my appointment.

I’m not afraid to die. I know what death means for me. My real fear is what will be left for my family. But then I remember, as a believer, I must trust that God will also take care of them until their appointment is called.

The older I get, the more I am aware of the time I have wasted. I wish I could go back and play more catch with my boys, or play dolls with my girls. It makes me more aware of what I’m doing today to make an impact on their lives. Put the phone down, and walk away from the tv. I helped my son build a new reloading bench last weekend, and my other son replace a radiator on his car. Those are the moments they will remember.

Cherish every moment, because those moments are gone as soon as you blink your eyes.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    I don't fear death, when my time comes it will happen. Hopefully it will happen before they put me in the incinerator (dark humor).
    My only fear is did I do thing right for my family and friends. Just like the ending of "Saving Private Ryan", the lasting question is was I a good man?

AdventureTeamJoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 10, 2018
    Indy Northside
    I have a small, laminated card I carry which sums up my feelings pretty well. Wish I knew who to credit this to.

The clock of life is wound just once
    And no man has the power
    To tell when the hands will stop
    At late or early hour

To lose one's wealth is sad indeed
    To lose one's health is more
    To lose one's soul is such a loss
    That no man can restore

The present only is our own
    So live, love, toil with a will
    Place no faith in tomorrow
    For the clock may then be still

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Hell, I'm expecting the drone strike any day now. :whistle:

No wife, no kids, no high powered or influential career, and I "believe" in less and less with each passing year. I guess my greatest aspiration for life, death, and everything is to be tired enough when it happens to not really care that much anymore. :dunno:

Be pretty disappointed if it happens before I get a SCAR, tho

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Huh? I hope you are kidding in some way, but I'm guessing your not.

Acceptance of the inevitable should be treated with medication? Please excuse my somber tone. I am enjoying life now in middle age more than I ever have before. I know what is coming and I am alright with it..

I have witnessed and dealt with the passing of my grandparents and both my parents. I have seen it first hand. I strive everyday to be at peace with my maker and most days I am fairly successful at it.

To spin it another way, how many times have you wished you could know the future? Was I really saying anything less or more?

If I knew my own personal timeline, I think I would be more daring and probably do far more than what I would do not knowing. Retirement savings intended to last 25 years? Oh yeah! Spending it all in 12 months or less? Woo-Hoo!

Thanks for feeling sad for me but it really isn't necessary.

I am going to die someday. So are you. So is everyone we have ever known. That is the way it works.
    No, I was not kidding. This second post seems a lot different from the first.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    No, I was not kidding. This second post seems a lot different from the first.
    Thank you for your concern for the welfare of your fellow INGOers. Glad to see it.

The first post was a summation of my situation...a very cold, stark summation.

To ease some of your concern, I do not believe in suicide. I do not drink or abuse drugs. By The Lords will, not mine.

I am very tempted to expound about the realities that I face, that we all face, but out of fear that it would be too much sharing and way too depressing for many I will forgo it.

Not that I would ever believe I could measure up or dream of directly comparing myself to such great men, but do you think Daniel, Jeremiah, Elijah, Isaiah, Habakkuk or John the Revelator were any fun at parties?

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Thank you for your concern for the welfare of your fellow INGOers. Glad to see it.

The first post was a summation of my situation...a very cold, stark summation.

To ease some of your concern, I do not believe in suicide. I do not drink or abuse drugs. By The Lords will, not mine.

I am very tempted to expound about the realities that I face, that we all face, but out of fear that it would be too much sharing and way too depressing for many I will forgo it.

Not that I would ever believe I could measure up or dream of directly comparing myself to such great men, but do you think Daniel, Jeremiah, Elijah, Isaiah, Habakkuk or John the Revelator were any fun at parties?
    To be fair, I took your first post the same way as Mike did.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    To be fair, I took your first post the same way as Mike did.
    It is all good! +1 and The Lords blessings to all of you for your concern.

Due to a traumatic childhood and ensuing struggles, I have a very dark side. I've...seen things.

Sometimes I forget that my experiences do not play well to large groups (particularly forum boards) where I cannot fully convey the intent of my message. Sometimes, I use my darkness to nudge people toward their own self-realization.

This thread just happened to fall at the right time, in the right place to serve as an opportunity, I guess.

With that, I will encourage all INGOers to be bold enough to reach out to help someone they see struggling and wise enough to not allow the current state of our society to lull you into passive acceptance.

Back closer to the OP:

When was the last time you (not just you Frosty, the general "you" meaning everybody) heard the remark about time passing us by faster and faster when at the same time we are wishing the day or week or year (or presidential administration) was over with?

Yeah, we just accept that now, don't we?

Then, we require/demand health insurance to prolong our existence until our finances have been bled dry and we are sitting in our own crapulence waiting for someone to come by (which might happen only once every four hours) and change our adult diapers.

Silly, isn't it/aren't we?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It is all good! +1 and The Lords blessings to all of you for your concern.

Due to a traumatic childhood and ensuing struggles, I have a very dark side. I've...seen things.

Sometimes I forget that my experiences do not play well to large groups (particularly forum boards) where I cannot fully convey the intent of my message. Sometimes, I use my darkness to nudge people toward their own self-realization.

This thread just happened to fall at the right time, in the right place to serve as an opportunity, I guess.

With that, I will encourage all INGOers to be bold enough to reach out to help someone they see struggling and wise enough to not allow the current state of our society to lull you into passive acceptance.

Back closer to the OP:

When was the last time you (not just you Frosty, the general "you" meaning everybody) heard the remark about time passing us by faster and faster when at the same time we are wishing the day or week or year (or presidential administration) was over with?

Yeah, we just accept that now, don't we?

Then, we require/demand health insurance to prolong our existence until our finances have been bled dry and we are sitting in our own crapulence waiting for someone to come by (which might happen only once every four hours) and change our adult diapers.

Silly, isn't it/aren't we?
    I'm glad to hear that you are dealing well (even if your way seems extremely dark and destructive to me) with what life has dealt you. We are not guaranteed a trouble free life. On the contrary, given man's free will and a sinful world, none of us will come out unscathed. Someone once told me that everyone has a story. Those stories have their share of pain and suffering. I have always tried to dwell on what tomorrow brings (I can control some of that) rather than wallow in past circumstances that I cannot now change or what other bad situations might be ahead. I was lucky to have a few people in my life who supported me, especially during the bad times.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I'm glad to hear that you are dealing well (even if your way seems extremely dark and destructive to me) with what life has dealt you. We are not guaranteed a trouble free life. On the contrary, given man's free will and a sinful world, none of us will come out unscathed. Someone once told me that everyone has a story. Those stories have their share of pain and suffering. I have always tried to dwell on what tomorrow brings (I can control some of that) rather than wallow in past circumstances that I cannot now change or what other bad situations might be ahead. I was lucky to have a few people in my life who supported me, especially during the bad times.
    I am intrigued...just what seems "destructive" to you?

I'll leave it at two questions, this could be a very interesting conversation.

Same as previous post. When was the last time you said you wished time would go faster to hurry to something more pleasurable?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I've never had a vision of myself older than 70. To this day I'm certain my end will occur by 70. My wife says I'm going to be a disappointed old man. I guess time will tell. I have lived long enough to have lost family and friends. With my grandparents I noticed that by the time they died, they had already given up living. Or at least given up enjoyment in life. "I hurt." "I can't move and do the things I want to do." Etc. They really did seem to prefer death over living. That used to bother me. But I've lived long enough to at least have an understanding of what might have been going through their minds. Side note, met a lady who, at the time was 103, circa late 1980's. I was 12-ish. I quickly started with "what was it like in the olden days?" "Oh honey, it was so long ago I can't remember." she stated. "Surely you can remember something, anything. Please tell me what it's like to have lived this long." She paused, then stated (to the effect of) "It's been sad. I've outlived all of my family. I've outlived 3 husbands and all of our children. Every friend I've ever made has died. I'm glad to have lived but I feel very alone." The lady was 103yo and able to voice that insight. Her insight changed me in a way I almost cannot describe. It was a really profound thought exercise for me. Unforgettable.

Top Bottom