So.. what are you reloading at the moment??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    OK, finally finished working up 22 Remington JET for a S&W Model 53. Interestingly enough, it was close to impossible to find reliable data on this round and even harder to find components. I did get 200 new pieces of brass from PPU (Graf and Sons) and found 200 once-fired Remington cases on Gunbroker about 6 months ago so I should be good to go for a while. I originally bought some 40 grain .224 projectiles that I sized to .2225 and also bought a mold to make 38 grain gas check projectiles. Took me quite a few trials to come up with a combination that worked which turned out to be 3 grains of Unique for the jacketed rounds and 3.5 grains of Unique for the cast bullets. Had a great time developing this round!
    I shoot a 53 and a Contender in jet, have you shot any .223 diameter bullets yet?
    I have over the years played with them and its definitely a love affair to get some of them to shoot well. I tend to load with 4227, 2400 and 296.
    Have you tried to form any brass yet?
    I see your in Anderson, what club do you shoot at? Fall Creek?

Screenshot_20220405-000440.png

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Shot my .243 loads yesterday. They cut through my steel plates at 150 yards. 58 grain VMAX, 3900fps. I thought they would shatter but it looked like a .30 caliber drill hole!
    Ar500 steel?

Back when I was doing 2 gun competition I used my M1A Super Match and 168gr Sierra MatchKing bullets. I was at a competition in Kentucky and my MatchKings were punching through their targets from 75yds to 300yds. They had 5 set up varying distances. They got upset at me because they thought I was using AP rds. I had to show them, and I even pulled one with pliers to show what it was. All I have to say is they had junk targets.

Oh and I won that one as well. Only one I every won. Came close many times, but only won once.

Last edited:

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Just sized some bullets I cast last week to load up and shoot I;my 35 Remington Model 8 Carbine. NEI mold marked 169 but cases closer to 180 for me. Powder coated and gas checked. Loading them over 2400 for a fun plinking load.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Anderson
    I shoot a 53 and a Contender in jet, have you shot any .223 diameter bullets yet?
    I have over the years played with them and its definitely a love affair to get some of them to shoot well. I tend to load with 4227, 2400 and 296.
    Have you tried to form any brass yet?
    I see your in Anderson, what club do you shoot at? Fall Creek?

View attachment 192808
    Hello, I did resize some projectiles to .223 (38 grain JHP) and they shot pretty good but I was getting over pressure signs. I think I will have to experiment more with my charges to find something that works. I found some 40 grain .222 JSPs at Grafs recently and bought 300 so I'll be shooting them for a while. I was really thinking about forming brass from .357 because it looked like a fun project however, I will most likely put that off for a while because I don't have the forming dies yet and have 400 pieces of brass....maybe next winter. Anyway, I usually just go to Gunslingers on Saturdays or Sundays but I think I'll check out Fall Creek this summer. Have you ever noticed the range at Rangeline and Mounds? Not sure what to make of it as it has both outdoor and indoor shooting ranges but looks abandoned. Maybe it's for sale....that would be fun to own. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Brian

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Hello, I did resize some projectiles to .223 (38 grain JHP) and they shot pretty good but I was getting over pressure signs. I think I will have to experiment more with my charges to find something that works. I found some 40 grain .222 JSPs at Grafs recently and bought 300 so I'll be shooting them for a while. I was really thinking about forming brass from .357 because it looked like a fun project however, I will most likely put that off for a while because I don't have the forming dies yet and have 400 pieces of brass....maybe next winter. Anyway, I usually just go to Gunslingers on Saturdays or Sundays but I think I'll check out Fall Creek this summer. Have you ever noticed the range at Rangeline and Mounds? Not sure what to make of it as it has both outdoor and indoor shooting ranges but looks abandoned. Maybe it's for sale....that would be fun to own. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Brian
    I believe thats Anderson Pistol, if im right its a in-outdoor rimfire club.
    Small membership club.
    Fall creek has a few disciplines that shoot regularly like reduced high power, Muzzlelooaders and hatchet tossing maybe some pistol shooting still.
    I shoot at Alexandria CC its out 200 from Anderson just past the ball of paint.
    If you want to see it let me know and I will gladly meet you there.
    $65.00 a year and another 25.00 to bring one guest.
    Trap ranges and 25 to 100 yd covered range.
    If you want to meet we can also talk about forming jet and I also form .256 win mag. I also know someone that still might have a bunch of jet brass for sale.

When forming look into using Dan Wesson 360 brass, it has more beef at the web where regular jet brass yends to fail.

WhiskE TangO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Bargersville
    Wow that is impressive!
    30-06, but not just any 06. 30-06 using my grandpa's dies, press, and powder thrower, just the way he left it 40 years ago. He's been gone nearly 20 years now and I get a little sentimental every time I fire up that old Herters press.
    I wonder what the degradation of the powder would be? Most likely nothing noticeable, but just curious.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Wow that is impressive!

I wonder what the degradation of the powder would be? Most likely nothing noticeable, but just curious.
    We shoot powder all the time thats 20-60 years old.
    Only ever seen one can go bad, a one pounder of 3031 if I remember right.
    It ate through the bottom of the metal can, looked like a pile of rusty metal filings.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Getting ready to do some 300 blackout subs soon for the first time. Berry's 220 gn bullets and was planning on using CFEBLK but its looking Luke h110 is the preferred powder so I'll be hunting some of that down first.

HCRMPD1

Marksman
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Shelbyville
    Just finished taking 220 Swift brass cartridges and working them down to 7.62 x 45 Czech. Loaded 30 rounds and looking forward to test firing them to be sure my necking down the parent brass and the milling of the cartridge bass worked out. By the way I used H335 powder at 27.0 grains and a Nosler .30 caliber projectiles.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Getting ready to do some 300 blackout subs soon for the first time. Berry's 220 gn bullets and was planning on using CFEBLK but its looking Luke h110 is the preferred powder so I'll be hunting some of that down first.
    You're in luck!
    Both are showing available in 1 & 8lbs on the Hodgdon site right now.
    1651448150348.png

1651448200814.png

Top Bottom