So.. what are you reloading at the moment??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    The last two days I have been loading 44 Magnum using Berry's and Xtreme copper plated bullets. Based on my rough calculations, my preferred loads for many magnum powders will exceed the maximum velocity recommended for these bullets. I'm curious to see if at traditional pistol shooting distances, in double action, that these bullets truly show a deterioration in accuracy by being pushed past their advertised velocity.

I'm also experimenting with the Wolff reduced power springs. The 12# spring failed to ignite about 20% of the time, so we're on the 13# spring.

In case anyone is curious, all these bullets with 24 gr. of powder out of a 5.5" bbl Ruger Redhawk at 7 yards are basically the same with regard to accuracy.

23.5 gr. of IMR 4227 had a fair amount of unburned powder, time to go with max loads there and see if that helps.

13 and 14 pound Wolff springs still caused light primer strikes about once every six shots. Oh well, guess I gotta do a "trigger job" the hard way- lots and lots of shooting!

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    In case anyone is curious, all these bullets with 24 gr. of powder out of a 5.5" bbl Ruger Redhawk at 7 yards are basically the same with regard to accuracy.

23.5 gr. of IMR 4227 had a fair amount of unburned powder, time to go with max loads there and see if that helps.

13 and 14 pound Wolff springs still caused light primer strikes about once every six shots. Oh well, guess I gotta do a "trigger job" the hard way- lots and lots of shooting!
    13-14 pounds is way light. Federal primers should set off but most others will give sporadic misfires. Shim that hammer spring. Another pound or two at least.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm still working on 10mm loads. My son just got a Glock 20 and he's been going through then faster than I have time to restock them.

7.2gr AutoComp 180gr FN Hoosier bullets. 1.258 col. It isn't the fastest for that load but my Rock Ultra FS and his Glock likes them for accuracy. Getting 1131 FPS avg which is around 511 ft lbs of energy at 5 yards from muzzle.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    13-14 pounds is way light. Federal primers should set off but most others will give sporadic misfires. Shim that hammer spring. Another pound or two at least.

Well, admittedly I didn't do tons of research on springs for a Redhawk, but it seemed the Wolff reduced power springs were the most often cited on forums discussing them. The package came with 12, 13, and 14 pound springs. I would have tried heavier ones if they were offered, but like most other parts/accessories there aren't nearly as many options for the Redhawk as there are for GP100 or Super Redhawk.

Anyway, I believe I'll be loading 9mm soon - I'm picking up 115 gr. bullets from Xtreme this weekend. Sure do love loading 9mm on my Dillon Square Deal - man, you can crank out rounds in no time! The .44 Magnum I do on my Lee single stage. I could do it on the Dillon, but for big rounds that I won't shoot hundreds of in one range session I quite enjoy the slow and steady work of a single-stage. It just feels so much more....personal.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I shoot my Super Blackhawks in .44 mag for cowboy action. A couple hundred a month. I try to keep 1000 on hand most times. I'm running 15 lb. springs and 30 ounce trigger springs. Sets off every primer I've tried.

Southbendfamily

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    SBN
    12 g in brass, 50 with #9 shot and 50 with 00. no primers for small pistol or rifle, so those old brass shells are the only thing saving me from being in the house.

TxPhred

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Indianapolis
    While I was following the returns last night I occupied my time fruitfully by prepping some 308 brass for my cousin who is working on a few loads for his Model 70.

And I prepped the brass from my last shoot with the Henry 44mag. After 7 loads with 4 different powders I think I have a good enough load using 19.3 grains of Lil'Gun with a 225 FTX Hornady bullet. I am kind of hoping to do my first deer hunt using it.

The last few months have really gotten me in to reloading. I have reloaded more ammo in the last few months then I have for the last 6 years! I am really enjoying doing it more for some reason.

So what are you reloading at the moment? Please share.
    6.5 Rem Mag and 7mm Mauser

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Loading 50 rounds for my 7BR XP. 20 grains of SR4759 and a 150 blem bullet will get the job done. Heading to Ohio on Saturday, hope to shoot a match there in-between showers.

G19G26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Loading 38 and 357 for new S&W 60 3" Pro. Having hard time finding 357 brass though.
    BTW this J frame is awesome. Super smooth trigger.

Top Bottom