• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I canned venison for first time last fall, freezer was full. Did it the same way and we have had a few cans now in noodles and mash potatoes. I think its even better in that when canned. I've had people tell me they hate the taste of venison. I feed them some and they swear its beef and I just laugh. Getting the deer gutted and cooled down and butchered fast if its warm out is key....also I get all the fat and blue skin off and soak a short time to get blood out also.

Well handled canned venison is hard to tell from beef. Handling the meat is everything on having gamey tasting vs not on venison. Going from body temp to cold meat and keeping it there is critical.

My experience has been that silverskin is not the big deal that a lot of folks make it when stewing or canning venison. While you don't want silverskin in your steaks or other quickly cooked cuts, the longer cooking processes tend to break it down. Last year, I made bone broth from a lot of scraps that normally would be tossed, along with the bones. After separating the end result, there was 4# of good pulled-pork like meat that I made a point to eat a few different ways. Not like eating a good medium rare backstrap steak, but plenty usable for other dishes. Next deer taken, I might just play with canning this normally thrown away meat?

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Just in case you feel home sick I am pretty sure the IRS is still accepting donations. Hard to believe the tax burden difference here versus other places.
    Wouldn’t that be the Tennessee taxing authority?

One thing I have learned is you are not getting out of anything, every state collects taxes somewhere just to keep going, just in different places. It does see the Tennessee is pretty good, even a smidge better than Indiana in the CATO report…

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I canned venison for first time last fall, freezer was full. Did it the same way and we have had a few cans now in noodles and mash potatoes. I think its even better in that when canned. I've had people tell me they hate the taste of venison. I feed them some and they swear its beef and I just laugh. Getting the deer gutted and cooled down and butchered fast if its warm out is key....also I get all the fat and blue skin off and soak a short time to get blood out also.
    Same here freezer is full and not frozen pizzas lol. The beef is a gift which ordinarily I would not accept, but there comes a time and a place to do Things a bit differently. It was given as a sincere gesture of thanks and to no I think would be hurtful and insulting. I goal would be to build upon our emergency food supply.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Wouldn’t that be the Tennessee taxing authority?

One thing I have learned is you are not getting out of anything, every state collects taxes somewhere just to keep going, just in different places. It does see the Tennessee is pretty good, even a smidge better than Indiana in the CATO report…

Yes there is sales tax on food here, wheel tax while not nearly as steep as Indian. But the thing is with the sales tax Most everyone pays it across the board regardless of income.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    good videos on canning meat...

with pressure canner

without

I ran across and watched another video today on canning meat without a pressure canner. I thought about posting it, but I'm not sure about water bath canning meat?

I guess I'm fortunate enough to have an All American Canner, so I don't have to experiment with whether rolling that dice works, (until it doesn't?) I wonder how folks can their non-acidic garden crop like green beans without a pressure canner? I know you can get away with it, but it's not recommended. Every now and then we hear about family get togethers poisoned by canned green beans.

I'm off to watch the bottom video. I've watched some of that gent's videos. Good content, but I have always had the impression the guy is posting experiments. Rather than being a time proven authority on the subject?

Top Bottom