• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Not entirely convinced that we have not seen the worst of shortages, but that may well be a different discussion. Long story short we are unexpectedly getting a half of a side of beef. So in the past we have canned chicken with favorable results. So I am wondering which options might be best for preserving it? We were entertaining the idea of grinding some of it and making chil and canning it for later consumption. Any other ideas?

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I have canned it raw pack with some salt and beef bullion for any recipes that require ground beef.
    My surplus was from getting a little over zealous when finding ground beef on sale, not from buying a half steer. The one thing I've noticed since moving to this region of Tennessee, beef is plentiful and affordable................ and I hope to join you in this dilemma very soon.
    Tagged.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I have canned a LOT of things……. Beef / venison does not taste good to me after canning. In an emergency I will do it but in our current state I would rather buy another freezer. I am not a good example though I just got a 40 cubic foot freezer

edit to add I am not talking about chili or things like that I am talking just canning straight beef. Takes on a funky texture / taste to me.

tscherry70

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 7, 2021
    Bedford
    You can always make Pemmican. Lasts a long time unrefrigerated, tastes great. I make my own and I always take some with me when camping/hunting/fishing etc. I usually don't reach for it first if I have a Larabar or something else, but Pemmican will last 25 years if all the moisture is removed. Hank Shaw has a great recipe in his Buck Buck Moose book.

This guy knows how to make it right.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I have canned it raw pack with some salt and beef bullion for any recipes that require ground beef.
    My surplus was from getting a little over zealous when finding ground beef on sale, not from buying a half steer. The one thing I've noticed since moving to this region of Tennessee, beef is plentiful and affordable................ and I hope to join you in this dilemma very soon.
    Tagged.
    To be honest I think the best steaks we ever had were from South Dakota worse two years of my life, but the steaks were good.

when you get this way if you are so inclined, I will send you my text number, in case you ever need a hand with anything upon arrival.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    To be honest I think the best steaks we ever had were from South Dakota worse two years of my life, but the steaks were good.

when you get this way if you are so inclined, I will send you my text number, in case you ever need a hand with anything upon arrival.
    Much appreciated Sir, very kind of ya.
    Currently renting in Allardt, whilst I drain my savings account building yet another home, (Swore the last one was the last one, lol).
    Every pasture along SR52 has beef cattle and I've been buying the best ribeyes from the local grocery stores for around $8/lb, and some killer chuck roast in the $3/lb range.............so there's definitely a half cow purchase in the near future.
    Love the food, climate and simplicity of living here and met some darn good folks too.
    Stack those canning jars to the roof with that beef, I'm currently eating stuff I canned over two years ago and it's still good. Use as many resources as possible to have a variety on hand.
    Good luck and thanks again.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Much appreciated Sir, very kind of ya.
    Currently renting in Allardt, whilst I drain my savings account building yet another home, (Swore the last one was the last one, lol).
    Every pasture along SR52 has beef cattle and I've been buying the best ribeyes from the local grocery stores for around $8/lb, and some killer chuck roast in the $3/lb range.............so there's definitely a half cow purchase in the near future.
    Love the food, climate and simplicity of living here and met some darn good folks too.
    Stack those canning jars to the roof with that beef, I'm currently eating stuff I canned over two years ago and it's still good. Use as many resources as possible to have a variety on hand.
    Good luck and thanks again.
    Well welcome is in order. No worries about draining you savings account, best to have what you need now, I fear we are in for a bumpy ride, and we may need to keep our hands and feet in the ride at all times.

We will be sending our feeder calf’s soon as well.

Just in case you feel home sick I am pretty sure the IRS is still accepting donations. Hard to believe the tax burden difference here versus other places. Have you been by Alvin York‘s place yet?

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    62   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    We can beef, pork and chicken, have hand issues with bad texture or taste, lot of ours goes into stews,beff and or chicken and noodles, beef and pork barbecue and even chicken barbecue.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    We can beef, pork and chicken, have hand issues with bad texture or taste, lot of ours goes into stews,beff and or chicken and noodles, beef and pork barbecue and even chicken barbecue.
    In the past we have canned chicken it was really good for chicken and dumpling’s. One of my favorite not so good for you meal’s.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    We did some beef stew Monday night. Had a jar of it Tuesday night. Thought it was pretty good for a first try. Will probably make it with more seasoning and actual broth next time. The recipe we used only called for water.

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    You can always make Pemmican. Lasts a long time unrefrigerated, tastes great. I make my own and I always take some with me when camping/hunting/fishing etc. I usually don't reach for it first if I have a Larabar or something else, but Pemmican will last 25 years if all the moisture is removed. Hank Shaw has a great recipe in his Buck Buck Moose book.

This guy knows how to make it right.

That video was awesome!
    (Small dig — “low tech” recipe uses a meat slicer, smoker, dehydrator, blender... just saying).
    I tried to make pemmican once, failed miserably, and just wasted some cheap steak and berries.
    That, plus vacuum-packed with some moisture absorbers, should be awesome prepper food.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Well welcome is in order. No worries about draining you savings account, best to have what you need now, I fear we are in for a bumpy ride, and we may need to keep our hands and feet in the ride at all times.

We will be sending our feeder calf’s soon as well.

Just in case you feel home sick I am pretty sure the IRS is still accepting donations. Hard to believe the tax burden difference here versus other places. Have you been by Alvin York‘s place yet?
    The tax break is exactly what got Tennessee on our radar, all the other positives are icing on the cake.
    We've driven 127 through the Pall Mall area and Sgt.York's place is high on our list of things to this summer as well as an autumn houseboat rental vacation on Dale Hollow.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    The tax break is exactly what got Tennessee on our radar, all the other positives are icing on the cake.
    We've driven 127 through the Pall Mall area and Sgt.York's place is high on our list of things to this summer as well as an autumn houseboat rental vacation on Dale Hollow.
    Just wait for the 127 yard sale stand back and watch it like a train wreck. Celina is a whole different animal!

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    For venison, I always canned with good beef bullion and salt. Packed tight and let it make it's own broth IIRC.
    I canned venison for first time last fall, freezer was full. Did it the same way and we have had a few cans now in noodles and mash potatoes. I think its even better in that when canned. I've had people tell me they hate the taste of venison. I feed them some and they swear its beef and I just laugh. Getting the deer gutted and cooled down and butchered fast if its warm out is key....also I get all the fat and blue skin off and soak a short time to get blood out also.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    For me when canned as an ingredient in something (stew chili soup etc) canned venison beef is great. But for us canned as ground meat is not a substitute for fresh to use in something like tacos or spaghetti it is definitely edible but not our first choice.

I only say this to keep you from doing what I did….. canning 50# of ground meat before trying a small batch lol luckily it is shelf stable for so long… taking us awhile to get through it.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    62   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    We can a lot of hamburger, majority is ground chuck or better, we use it for pasta sauce, tacos,sloopy joe, homemade hamburger helper with positive results, never had a taste, texture problem with it. I haven't hunted deer in over 20 years, have never canned venison so i don't know how that does myself, and to tell the truth i never cared for deer burger anyways. We even can pork with great results too along with chicken and turkey also.

Top Bottom