• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Ok, how many of y'all know that ticks HATE Peppermint oil? Makes the tick detach and flee within 5 minutes of application.

A friend of the OGs was browsing the YouTubes and came across a video about the uses of Peppermint oil. She shared it and to say the least, we were skeptical. Until now, we've used Antibacterial dish soap, soaking the critter for about 20 minutes and then taking a Q-Tip to spin it off.

Well, much to our surprise, a couple of drops of the essential oil and four minutes later it is trying to crawl away.

Unbelievable.
    20220625_212324.jpg

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Good to know.

I know it also is a snake repellent. When we moved into our current church building, they found it had a snake problem. Once they were removed, there way in sealed up, the exterminator put peppermint around the building to keep them away. No issues in two years.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    My wife has this stuff, I'll use it if I ever get one dug into me again.
    I started pretreating my clothes with Permethrin back in April and haven't had one on me since.
    Today I was working from the cabin front door to the truck and trailer, thinking I could get by without spraying myself. I really wasn't under cover (much) and so I thought I would be ok. That was not true. I came home with three. The stuff is the real deal.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Good to know.

I know it also is a snake repellent. When we moved into our current church building, they found it had a snake problem. Once they were removed, there way in sealed up, the exterminator put peppermint around the building to keep them away. No issues in two years.
    I have a bunch of peppermint plants near our pool, and come to think of it, that’s the only section of my property where I’ve never seen a snake.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    I've often wondered about peppermint as a tick repellent.

But I brought a "Tick Key" to an outdoor class last month and it made a dug-in one let go instantly. Little suckers.... my skin's been crawling every since. I made it a point to cut them in half with my knife every time I pulled one off.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I've often wondered about peppermint as a tick repellent.

But I brought a "Tick Key" to an outdoor class last month and it made a dug-in one let go instantly. Little suckers.... my skin's been crawling every since. I made it a point to cut them in half with my knife every time I pulled one off.
    Spent many a summer day playing on the marshes of the coast of CT. We NEVER got to play with matches, except for ticks ... Gram had us burn each and every one. She hated those little buggers with a passion and she passed it on to us.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    A couple of years ago I was hiking in Minnesota. When I returned to the cabin, I headed for the bathroom, dropped by pants, sat down and saw about 15 - 20 ticks on my legs and inside the trousers. None had dug in. I immediately tossed my clothes in the bathtub and finished my business. I do not recall ever having a tick on me before in 75 years. I usually have on repellant. This time it was safely stored in the back of my car. That did me a lot of good! :):

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    The evening after a day at an outdoor class, I stopped in a Wendy's in Hicksville, OH. Single person restroom. I stripped nekkid and used the mirror to search for more. I hoped to find yet another one. I felt ridiculous but I really wanted to kill another damned tick.

A month later, I'm still feeling my skin crawl.

Pepi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Hartford City 47348
    I remember back in grade school, we would soak toothpicks in cinnamon oil and the longer you let them soak, the hotter they would get. We would literally get "burns" on the edges of our mouths from letting them hang out the sides. :):
    We did this also. I put some of the soaked toothpicks in a plastic case and they melted into the plastic LOL

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    On the way home from hiking near salamonie lake, we stopped for pizza in Converse. Sitting at the table, saw a tick moving across it near my arm. Grabbed it and took it outside and killed it. My wife found another one on me, and one in my helmet. None on her. Couldn't take the pizza home since we were on the Suzuki, so went back inside and ate some of it. Folded it over and took the rest home. Didn't find any more ticks.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Ok, how many of y'all know that ticks HATE Peppermint oil? Makes the tick detach and flee within 5 minutes of application.

A friend of the OGs was browsing the YouTubes and came across a video about the uses of Peppermint oil. She shared it and to say the least, we were skeptical. Until now, we've used Antibacterial dish soap, soaking the critter for about 20 minutes and then taking a Q-Tip to spin it off.

Well, much to our surprise, a couple of drops of the essential oil and four minutes later it is trying to crawl away.

Unbelievable.
    View attachment 208091
    I grow spearmint around the sunny sides along the foundation of my home it keeps bugs away. I think rodents don't like it as well.
    Plus side I can go out get a few leafs boil water let the leafs steep for around 5 minutes and add your favorite sweetener if you like it that way, and you have a nice cup of spearmint tea.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I sprayed the engine bays of my vehicles with Grandpa Gus's potent rodent repellent. Its a mixture of peppermint and cinnamon oils. Squirrels and mice hate the smells and taste.

Top Bottom