So Just asking for a Friend, what age is old Now a days?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MidwesternStructures

Plinker
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2023
    Indiana
    As a young man, I’d say it depends on what you mean by old. I suppose if you’re someone I have known for a while and I heard you had dementia/Alzheimer’s I would say you’re “getting older”. With that being said, I may refer to you as old if you have two kids and own a house. Anything over 70 would probably get the ”old” label from me too. We’ll see when I’m 65 lol

- Brody

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    old to me is a state of mind. ive befriended lots of old men because I’m an old soul myself. some just seem to give up once they retire from whatever job - they never really had a purpose and felt their purpose was whatever they did for pay. others have only given up when physically given out. lots of examples in-between and it’s hard to explain fully what I mean. what I’ve learned from all these old-timers is that you create your own purpose. without getting all spiritual I believe there’s not a destiny or determined path for you, and it takes being open minded, exploring interests, developing passions, etc that keeps you alive - keeps you young.

but I’ve also met many who died too young, those who succumb to vices, etc etc.

old to me is a state of mind, generally. I’d say if you can draw social security or get a discount on breakfast, you’re ‘old’ but what makes you old is being old.

im 28, so take that rambling for what it’s worth. :twocents:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    When you start feeling old, it's different for each individual.

I've been in several serious accidents (not cars). Well over a dozen surgeries, Divaticulites, cancer, radiation treatments, chemotherapy, neuropathy (still have it), blind in one eye. I tire out easily. I don't enjoy any hobbies. I do look forward to going home one day. So I just truge on from day to day.

Last edited:

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I'm already 23 years older than I ever wanted to be as a teenager.

My 88yo uncle had a checkup last year.
    "Do you use a walker?" "no"
    "Do you use a cane?" "no"
    Afterwards he said, "there is one question you didn't ask me that you might want to know the answer."
    "Oh? What's that?"
    "I do use a ladder to get on my bulldozer."

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Remember being in school, maybe 3rd grade, and the Civics lesson was that you had to be 35 to be the President of the USA? At that time I thought it sounded plenty old to be really smart and mature.

When I turned 35 I was working two jobs, paying the mortgage, car payment and family bills and still trying to figure everything out.

Now I am pushing twice that and just starting to figure things out but cannot remember why. And I look around and see 35 year old college graduates that are still living with their parents, watching TV in their pajamas while their mother serves them a bowl of frosted flakes.

Society is doomed.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Now that my friends and I approach middle age we wonder if this is what our parents felt like! Our bodies hurt but our minds are just slightly smarter 18 year olds. I grew up baling hay and milking cows and now I enjoy not having to work so hard, but when I do I'm surprised when I wear out before bedtime! I just hope my son is receptive to the example I'm trying to set of working hard, having fun, and also the importance of taking time to relax.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Been at it all day Thursday, all Night and part of Friday in the field trying to get everything in before the rain hit. We usually have a couple of High School Kids help with the small square bales. Thinking $20.00 an hour is not bad compensation. One of my wife’s FFA kids was helping out and told me damn I am tired and worn out and how is it your old and still going a 100 miles an hour?

I don’t know whether to be happy or offended.
    I normally can and do outwork most or all farm hires. I must look old cause I was loading feed in the RK parking lot, stooped over for the last bag and I see these well polished black shoes and a Voice that said, let me get that for you, before I could reply, bag was in the truck. I Thanked the Officer who was On Duty, in full uniform. I asked the wife, Damn, do I really look that OLD. I see photos of HS classmates and they ALL look ancient. :-)
    Do I want to Live Forever - NO, when I can no longer drive or tend to myself, its time to go. I'll never knowingly be a burden for anyone. NO Nursing Home or Assisted Living for Me. The older I get, the Docs keep piling things on but I'll never give up and keep on working as much as I can do.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom