So, I just landed my first professional job!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Let's see....back in 2008...what was I doing.......? Hmmmm.

Oh...I was a partner at a law firm doing what I'm doing in 2023....different law firm, hopefully I do it better... but other than that. All my kids were elementary age and younger....that's different.

What were YOU doing in 2008 when slacker started his first professional job?
    I would have been cleaning up and putting tools away in my high school auto class my senior year when this thread was started.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    So story time....

I've bounced around, a lot, within Amazon over the last 14 years. IT Support Engineer --> Tech Lead --> IT Manager --> IT Program Manager --> Technical Program manager with the physical stores (Amazon Go / Amazon Books / Amazon Grocery) --> Technical Program Manger with AWS EC2 --> Technical Program Manager with the Operations Technology team. Each role had it's own set of challenges and it feels like way longer than 14 years thinking back on all the different things I've done.

I did buy a Glock 19 with part of the sign-on bonus, and have since bought and sold several others. I still have the Glock 19, and added a 43 and 43x to the stable. I relocated from Indy to Delaware for work in 2012, and have been here ever since. Hence the not so active account here on INGO. Getting a LTCH was much more of a pain in Delaware, and it does not even last your full life time! Maryland was just about impossible until a few months ago; I still need to sit through their full 2-day course, but at least I have a chance of having my application approved now (previously you needed active threats against your life with documented police reports to even apply). Delaware's gun community is much more non-existent than I expected, and there are very few public ranges. Closes one to me is about 35 minutes, and they only have 100 yard rifle, and 25 yard pistol setups. No Friday Night Steel matches, or any other fun events. So that's a bummer.

Amazon has been a great place to work, and I've learned a ton along the way. It has it's stressful periods, but stepping back and seeing the results at the end of a big project is always rewarding. I think I've been back in Indy twice since I've moved (both for work), but it's been years.

It was a PM / direct mention that sent me the email and reminded me of this thread.

I miss y'all; maybe I'll have to browse around a few of the newer posts and see what I've been missing out on.
    You simply have to post a photoshopped pic of you and Bezos to demonstrate how far you've advanced in "the missing years".

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    When this thread started I wasn't old enough to get junk mail from AARP.

And I still had a flip phone! :laugh:
    Wait...you mean my rugged(water proof with a battery that lasts almost a week) phone is out of date?

I do have a smart phone,but when hiking I tend to kill them even with protective cases. If I remember I toss my sim in the rugged one when hiking for more than a day (I have killed 3 phones hiking and one kayaking all had protective cases).

Last edited:

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Just remember: It's white/orange, orange/white, white/green, blue/white, white/blue, green/white, white/brown, brown/white.

:):
    UNLESS... It is:
    green/white, green, orange/white, blue, blue/white, orange, brown/white, brown. :)

I've been doing this so long, I remember when ethernet cables were run by the telco guys, and you had to make sure they didn't try to run TWO wall jacks over one Cat X cable (they'd use the blues and browns for a second run). If the electricians ran the cable, they's use whatever color they wanted, as long as it matched on each end. :ugh:

Top Bottom