• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    Tactically Fat, it sucks the Shield system did not work. I have 10 of the Gen 1 with zero issues in my 43X. Ordered 2 of the Gen 2 mags for testing also. My factory mags still work with the steel mag release. I’m actually considering selling my 14 extra factory 10 round 43X/48 mags.

The market is pretty strong for the small guns. The 43X fits my catchers mitt size hand.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Why is "most rounds in the smallest form factor" now a major marketing point and something people are chasing? I guess the 1911, P220, etc. are the stupidest pistols in the world at this point. The real world has repeatedly shown us that capacity is waaaaay down the totem pole of things that matter in a gun fight.

What fits your hand well enough you get a consistent draw and grip every time regardless of challenging circumstances? What do you not foul the slide (if applicable) with if you don't get that grip just right? What goes bang every time you pull the trigger? What is the size you will actually carry? What can you get good hits with? Practice with that, carry that, forget about chasing whatever you think is better about the new shiny.
    I'm not just after a new shiney. My most carried firearm is my Shield 1.0. I LOVE everything about it, honestly. Save the time my front sight about walked off the slide...

I got into the G48 as a way to "more capacity in a Shield-like form factor" + the ability to even add more capacity to that same general form factor.

A P365XL, G43x, G48, and the new Shield Plus (Hell, even the Springfield Hellcat and the new Ruger pistol) are all incredibly similar pistols.

So if I can get something so incredibly similar to my most-carried firearm, yet which essentially doubles the capacity of said most-carried firearm - then why not?

I'm not an advocate of switching up carry guns often. I'm not even really an advocate of switching carry guns based on cold vs. warm weather. I think that switching guns often is just going to lead to problems at the very moment when you desperately need there to be zero problems.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    A. You bought a Glock
    B. You want to trade

I avoid A so no B.
    I have others that I do not have plans to trade or sell. Yet.

To me - firearms are, generally speaking, assets. If I can leverage one asset to ascertain another asset of some kind or another, I'll entertain the notion.

The Glock assets are easily sourced, incredibly popular, and fairly easy to move along should the mood strike.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    When I was hitting more consistently with smaller groups with my PPS M2 over my G17 I knew I had found my EDC (and it was time to sell the Glock). I carry my PPS with 6+1 and 2 8-round mags tuck away neatly as well. Carry what you shoot well, compact single stack mags are easy to carry and not too expensive (though I wish Walther would give up on the 7-round mag and just ship with 6 & 8 round mags). Oh, and I shoot as well with the short mag as I do with the extended mag.
    I've got a PPS M2 myself and shoot it better than any compact or sub-compact my safe. I've been packing a Sig P365 the last few months, which I shoot well, however, I shoot the Walther better!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm not just after a new shiney. My most carried firearm is my Shield 1.0. I LOVE everything about it, honestly. Save the time my front sight about walked off the slide...

I got into the G48 as a way to "more capacity in a Shield-like form factor" + the ability to even add more capacity to that same general form factor.

Right. I suppose my point is capacity is so far down my list of things I care about that I wouldn't switch guns for capacity. If I shot the Shield better, I'd carry the Shield. If I shot the Glock better, I'd carry the Glock. Then I'd standardize on Glock or S&W and quit chasing hardware. I couldn't shoot anything smaller than a Shield to my satisfaction, but now that the 43X is a thing, I'm all Glock for striker fired. I have zero intention of getting the aftermarket 15 round mags because there are no free lunches and this particular increase comes at a decrease to reliability. The only aftermarket doo-dads on my Glocks are "gadgets" and red dots as appropriate.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Right. I suppose my point is capacity is so far down my list of things I care about that I wouldn't switch guns for capacity. If I shot the Shield better, I'd carry the Shield. If I shot the Glock better, I'd carry the Glock. Then I'd standardize on Glock or S&W and quit chasing hardware. I couldn't shoot anything smaller than a Shield to my satisfaction, but now that the 43X is a thing, I'm all Glock for striker fired. I have zero intention of getting the aftermarket 15 round mags because there are no free lunches and this particular increase comes at a decrease to reliability. The only aftermarket doo-dads on my Glocks are "gadgets" and red dots as appropriate.
    I'm right there with you on: carry what you shoot best&reliability trumps capacity, but given the idea that guns are tools...and using the right tool for the job, what are your thoughts on compromising on shootability to carry a microcompact when you wouldn't be able to conceal anything larger?
    Likewise, how important do you think capacity is when faced with multiple assailants: home invasion or a mob? Ignoring derringers, to what extent do you think capacity is worth considering when buying a pistol?

i'm asking you as one of INGOs subject matter experts

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    As far as the Shield vs the Shield Plus, I'd argue that it's a no-brainer to switch to the Shield Plus. It's virtually the same gun except for capacity. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

My G48 is also so much different in ergonomics and shootability than my other standard Glocks that I'm not sure that there's any value in standardization for me. I don't care if they all look the same if they don't feel the same or shoot the same.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I'm right there with you on: carry what you shoot best&reliability trumps capacity, but given the idea that guns are tools...and using the right tool for the job, what are your thoughts on compromising on shootability to carry a microcompact when you wouldn't be able to conceal anything larger?
    Likewise, how important do you think capacity is when faced with multiple assailants: home invasion or a mob? Ignoring derringers, to what extent do you think capacity is worth considering when buying a pistol?

just my 2 cents but:
    depends on the situation. In a mob scenario capacity is less important. You will never have enough ammo to overcome a mob and are relying on the gun shot to scare enough of the mob to allow you to escape. In a one-on-one situation shot placement is more important than capacity as there are numerous examples of assailants being hit a dozen times and still causing damage/death. However, at home I feel that is a different situation. When you have multiple assailants in your home capacity is more important as you may need several well placed shots (or not so well placed in the case of a shotgun) to stop them (why my home defense pistol has 19+1).

As I said, just my 2 cents and I am not a professional or anything.

Last edited:

Sitcomdad83

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2021
    Indiana
    I see alot of shield plus posts but don't know why but the shield never appealed to me. I love my m&p9 and mp40c. I handled a Sig 365 XL yesterday and it was almost perfect for a small hi capish carry piece one is one my radar.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    As always BBIs is straight to the point, no detours :bow: I don't understand it either. My choice of carry is dictated by what I get consistent hits with. If it were possible to design something the size of an LCP than held 18 rounds of 9 that wouldn't necessarily make it the best choice for everyone's self defense pistol. Those little 9s are interesting and I've shot all of them but can't get a consistent grip so my accuracy suffers. Selling the latest and greatest is what drives the firearms industry but having 15 rounds onboard is much less relevant than the first A zone hit. If you are training you will know what works for you and if you aren't it really doesn't matter what you're carrying. YYMV:thumbsup:
    Thanks BBI for making me feel 'its still ok to carry my HK P2000sk DA/SA'. Just kidding... It takes all the USP compact, P30 etc mags from 10, 13, 15+ just fine.

I guess I'm a old-timer with my DA/SA/Decockers.

I dont understand it either. I can get consistent groups with the HK or a P99c but thats me. YMMV. Sorry for the interruption...

I did find a good website for spec comparison's... https://www.handgunhero.com/ It has a visual overlay feature that is nice for comparing.

:ingo:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I've posted my stats from my case files and discussed it before. Short version: for random crime capacity is almost completely irrelevant. People win or lose before running their gun dry. You run out of time before bullets in multiple attacker situations.

Targeted crime, capacity matters more often. Longer distances, more dedicated attacker, cover comes into play, etc.

I just carried an LCR in LA and Las Vegas. I like to fly with a revolver because of how easy admin handling is. I don't care about capacity.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    If statistics is the overriding factor, then the vast majority of people don't even need to carry a gun.

Lies, damned lies and statistics, as they say.

And now I'm really confused as to the value of standardization of brand in striker fired pistols, if you're just gonna roll with a wheelgun anyway.

If there is one thing I'm sure of, it's that "ease of admin handling" is one of the silliest things I've ever heard when considering criteria for the selection of a defensive handgun while traveling.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Why is "most rounds in the smallest form factor" now a major marketing point and something people are chasing? I guess the 1911, P220, etc. are the stupidest pistols in the world at this point. The real world has repeatedly shown us that capacity is waaaaay down the totem pole of things that matter in a gun fight.

What fits your hand well enough you get a consistent draw and grip every time regardless of challenging circumstances? What do you not foul the slide (if applicable) with if you don't get that grip just right? What goes bang every time you pull the trigger? What is the size you will actually carry? What can you get good hits with? Practice with that, carry that, forget about chasing whatever you think is better about the new shiny.
    BINGO...I'm with BehindBluel's on this one...it's not about 'what's the current platform rage' it's more about what fits comfortably and works best for you'...
    I grew up on SA revolvers...the P-365 grip angle feels absolutely horrible to me, as does the Ruger MAX-9...whereas the Glock grip angle is far more compatible to my comfort-level shooting style. I also understand that not everyone is the same, so to each there own! What works best for me, may not necessarily work best for someone else, which is perfectly fine!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    BINGO...I'm with BehindBluel's on this one...it's not about 'what's the current platform rage' it's more about what fits comfortably and works best for you'...
    I grew up on SA revolvers...the P-365 grip angle feels absolutely horrible to me, as does the Ruger MAX-9...whereas the Glock grip angle is far more compatible to my comfort-level shooting style. I also understand that not everyone is the same, so to each there own! What works best for me, may not necessarily work best for someone else, which is perfectly fine!
    I'm really kinda surprised at the number of people who like the grip of the P365. I don't have especially large hands and I find it much too small to even consider getting one.

I wonder if a lot of people really like them because:
    A. They are a Sig
    B. They hold a lot of rounds
    C. It's all the rage right now.

Maybe they just live with the teeny grip, I would like to know. Cuz there is no way that dudes with large mitts are going to honestly be able to say that it fits me well and I can get a good grip on it. :twocents:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'm really kinda surprised at the number of people who like the grip of the P365. I don't have especially large hands and I find it much too small to even consider getting one.

A. They are a Sig

Maybe they just live with the teeny grip, I would like to know. Cuz there is no way that dudes with large mitts are going to honestly be able to say that it fits me well and I can get a good grip on it. :twocents:
    Opposite here. Love the feel of the P365 grip, and can't imagine what kind of hand deformity would make a Glock actually comfortable.

Apparently, one size does not fit all.

oj.jpg

:)

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

A. They are a Sig

What aspect of the size of the 365 is an issue for you? Circumference or length? If length, have you tried an XL module or the 12 round mag in the standard 355 module (which are both the same length)?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Opposite here. Love the feel of the P365 grip, and can't imagine what kind of hand deformity would make a Glock actually comfortable.

Apparently, one size does not fit all.
    I have often wondered in recent years how much difference the "comfort" angle makes vs quality range time and coaching to become familiar with pistols overall?

We hear it all the time about taking new shooters (often women) through many guns to find one that fits them vs training to a standard adopted by most LEO agencies and EDC citizens?

It's not like we cannot find many people of all statures, genders and ages that have learned to shoot this standard well, right?

Top Bottom