• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    It can make some minor differences, particularly in recoil control. The sort of differences that are measurable and can make differences in competition shoots but are meaningless in defensive shootings. It's fairly easy to shoot faster then you can make decisions, and once you are at that point what's a .0X difference in split times gaining you?

Familiarity matters more, particularly in time to first shot and a good index with a presentation.
    Maybe I'm missing something here but your two points seem contradictory to me. It seems to me that a gun that fits well would tend to index better and reduce the time to first shot accordingly. While fit isn't a replacement for practice and one can practice enough to overcome minor issues of fit, it seems like starting with a good fit can only put you ahead of the game. With a gun that fits well you already start out more familiar since you're not adjusting to the gun.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Maybe I'm missing something here but your two points seem contradictory to me. It seems to me that a gun that fits well would tend to index better and reduce the time to first shot accordingly. While fit isn't a replacement for practice and one can practice enough to overcome minor issues of fit, it seems like starting with a good fit can only put you ahead of the game. With a gun that fits well you already start out more familiar since you're not adjusting to the gun.

Index is a matter of practice, unlike say hand size vs grip size or location of finger grooves, which is what I think of as "fit". "Points naturally" just means it's what you're used to. You can point naturally at pretty much anything with your finger without your wrist being locked in the "right" angle, can't you?

I prefer Sig's grip angle, and find it more "natural", but the timer says with dry practice to acclimate there's no difference to be between a G17M and a P226. What is different is if I try to flip-flop back and forth I'll "settle" on the Sig and present the Glock high. So I don't flip-flop. Same with revolvers, I standardized on Ruger. I swapped the grip on my Match Champion because the OEM grip, while large and comfy, changes the angle over any other GP100. It's not better or worse, it's just different and I want same-same. The OEM is also tougher to conceal, of course, actually harder than an N-frame.

I've settled on Glocks for striker fired largely because work makes me carry one and the "M" / Gen 5 guns are really good guns. I've also migrated to appendix carry in many circumstances, and the "Gadget" available for Glock lets me do so with the same ability to "thumb the hammer" as a TDA gun, something the Shield doesn't offer.

Anyway, I survived LA. I lead a pretty low risk lifestyle while there. I'm not into the bar scene, I don't get gas at night in Compton, etc. Relying on those silly statistics again, but being home by 10pm, not going to places were stupid people congregate, having MUC skills, not having an ego in traffic or 'monkey dance' situations, etc. greatly reduces my odds of needing a gun, period. I also managed to convince my wife to minimize our time in Las Vegas to a few hours, because pretty much everywhere in Las Vegas at night is a stupid place with stupid people filled with potential monkey dancers.

Traffic sucks, worse than Atlanta and maybe on par with DC, but there's some cool stuff to see there. If you go, the Autry Museum of the West has a pretty cool firearms section. Prototype Colts, guns of some famous folks like Wild Bill, Teddy Roosevelt, etc, and all kinds of "cowboys and indians" art and paraphernalia.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Hoping you'll post on how the 43x/dot works for you.
    :ingo:

I have to have my armorer look at it. The trigger isn't resetting properly. I'm not sure if there's an issue out of the box or I managed to screw it up somehow while installing the dot and gadget. It resets fine with dry fire, but fails to reset in live fire fairly often. I also have a non-MOS one I bought as a training gun but haven't live fired it yet. Week after next I'll get to my armorer and have him check it out.

Top Bottom