Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Rat snake?

Really?

It's not a great pic...guy was guessing copperhead, but that would be pretty rare in central Indiana, wouldn't it?

I thought maybe a timber rattler, but can't see the tail and it's touch to tell the shape of the head.

Either would be rare in central.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Really?

It's not a great pic...guy was guessing copperhead, but that would be pretty rare in central Indiana, wouldn't it?

I thought maybe a timber rattler, but can't see the tail and it's touch to tell the shape of the head.

Either would be rare in central.
    Not a copperhead. Doesn't look like a timber rattler to me. Rat snakes have a variety of markings.

1684189075010.png

Paging @spencer rifle

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Obviously, hole in the dashboard snake. Duh!

Apparently, the guy's wife went out to move the vehicle...jumped in and grabbed the wheel, then the visitor crossed her arm.

I wasn't there, but apparently the scream was so loud folks in the area thought somebody was attacked.

• Haha
    Reactions: Mij

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Been wondering the woods, streams n fields of Ind. for over 70 years. Only saw with my own eyes one rattle snake. In a pile of logs at a saw mill along the Wabash outside the town of Attica Ind. Heard it before I saw it. Presumably a Timber Rattler. He went his way, I went mine….in my truck at as fast as the old Ford would go. After I came home, so about mid 1970’s.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Apparently, the guy's wife went out to move the vehicle...jumped in and grabbed the wheel, then the visitor crossed her arm.

I wasn't there, but apparently the scream was so loud folks in the area thought somebody was attacked.
    They would have heard the same scream from me, followed by a loud bang, or 5 or 6 depending on my aim that day.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Fun sidebar:

Went hog hunting down in Texas. Took a buddy that is "deathly afraid of snakes". He must have asked about a dozen times on the way down about the rattle snake situation where we were hunting.

Got down there and met the guy who was letting us hunt his land. As we were getting ready to head out, I asked the guy what the rattle snake situation was like where we were hunting.

Guy said, with his Texas draw, "I've been here for a long time...I've only seen one rattler and it was about 5 miles from where you're hunting".

Then, after a good pause, "Lots of copperheads though...see them all the time".

LOL!!!!

Never came across any...did come across a ton of black widow spiders though.

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    ETS’d out of Ft. Bliss. Had about 4 weeks to go and only about 3 or 4 days worth of real records to clear up.

They took about 1000+ rank g.i.’s out to De-Dudd White Sands missile range. Lined us out over the desert, 15 mtr. spacing, said march. Never saw or heard so many rattlers every single sage bunch or any shade near cactus had a snake or five in it. Those were the days. :thumbsup:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Nerodia water snake. Harmless but violent.
    Yes.. those snakes are bitey A-holes

snake-bite-snake.gif

Last edited:

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    All snakes can flatten their head out like that if you stomp it hard enough.

I saw a timber rattler on atterbury one time. Just about put my foot through the floor of the Polaris to get out of a 5 mile radius as fast as possible

Top Bottom