• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    FYI: RK in GW had 2 of the Pluses (3.1" barrel no, no manual safety, plain Jane base models) for $550.

The P365 XL was $650, I believe.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    According to Starline brass the Shield and Shield Plus don't have very good chamber.
    Or is is the old Shield 9mm pistols. Can someone confirm this?

Sounds like a Starline problem to me. Gives problems in both a semiauto pistol and a revolver? Yeah, that brass ain't up to snuff for higher pressure loads.

This raises the question of whether the Starline brass will hold up to the same pressure as the Winchester brass in an unsupported chamber. It does not. When loaded with the same high pressure charge of Silhouette, the Starline brass showed excess bulging in the unsupported region resulting in a large imprint of the feed ramp in the brass (footnote 2), the same as seen with the COR-BON ammunition. The Winchester brass did not bulge excessively or had at most a "microscopic" feed ramp imprint that could be seen under high magnification.

First, I tested several brands of new brass to assess which brands might better suit high pressure rounds: Blazer, Federal, Fiocchi, Lapua, Sellier & Bellow, Starline and Winchester. I fired them in a 5-inch Rock Island Arsenal (RIA) barrel which had a little less case support than the Alpha Wolf barrel. I measured case bulge at the head where the case is not supported. The load was a 115-grain Winchester JHP bullet seated to 1.145 inches over 7.8 grains of AutoComp. This load produced a speed of around 1535 fps (176 power factor) in my RIA barrel.

The Blazer brass expanded the least. Sellier & Bellot came in second. Federal, Fiocchi, Lapua and Winchester brass had about the same expansion. Starline brass expanded the most. Note, my results apply only to the samples I had on hand, and might be different with different lot numbers of cases from the same manufacturer.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    With as many rounds that have been shot through the Shield since it's inception, I doubt there are any issues with the chamber.
    I only have the Gen1 shield 45acp. I've never had a problem with it. It's chamber seems to support the case well. I was concerned after seeing this if the shield 9mm was problematic for reloaders.

A simple way to show the chamber support is take a picture and post it.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I only have the Gen1 shield 45acp. I've never had a problem with it. It's chamber seems to support the case well. I was concerned after seeing this if the shield 9mm was problematic for reloaders.

A simple way to show the chamber support is take a picture and post it.
    I reload and use a wide range of brass brands but I don't know if I have ever used any Starline. The vast majority of my brass comes from factory rounds I have shot over the years. Not sure what I would take a pic of; a spent case? Or the barrel removed with a round in the chamber? I wouldn't know if a case is supported well by looking at it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I reload and use a wide range of brass brands but I don't know if I have ever used any Starline. The vast majority of my brass comes from factory rounds I have shot over the years. Not sure what I would take a pic of; a spent case? Or the barrel removed with a round in the chamber? I wouldn't know if a case is supported well by looking at it.
    1650247648532.png

The one on the right has better support than the one on the left.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Sounds like a Starline problem to me. Gives problems in both a semiauto pistol and a revolver? Yeah, that brass ain't up to snuff for higher pressure loads.

This raises the question of whether the Starline brass will hold up to the same pressure as the Winchester brass in an unsupported chamber. It does not. When loaded with the same high pressure charge of Silhouette, the Starline brass showed excess bulging in the unsupported region resulting in a large imprint of the feed ramp in the brass (footnote 2), the same as seen with the COR-BON ammunition. The Winchester brass did not bulge excessively or had at most a "microscopic" feed ramp imprint that could be seen under high magnification.

First, I tested several brands of new brass to assess which brands might better suit high pressure rounds: Blazer, Federal, Fiocchi, Lapua, Sellier & Bellow, Starline and Winchester. I fired them in a 5-inch Rock Island Arsenal (RIA) barrel which had a little less case support than the Alpha Wolf barrel. I measured case bulge at the head where the case is not supported. The load was a 115-grain Winchester JHP bullet seated to 1.145 inches over 7.8 grains of AutoComp. This load produced a speed of around 1535 fps (176 power factor) in my RIA barrel.

The Blazer brass expanded the least. Sellier & Bellot came in second. Federal, Fiocchi, Lapua and Winchester brass had about the same expansion. Starline brass expanded the most. Note, my results apply only to the samples I had on hand, and might be different with different lot numbers of cases from the same manufacturer.
    That's not the first suggestion/complaint that Starline brass is on the soft side that I've seen.

Top Bottom