Smith & Wesson M&P9 Shield EZ 9mm 8rd 3.6" Pistol w/ Safety 12436, Good, bad and ugly about them?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Seriously considering one of these. Had arm surgeries back in 2014 that required eventually a new artery from wrist to armpit. Could not rack a slide on my semi auto handguns. Went back to carrying revolvers. A different concern has me wanting to have more capacity so looked at a S&W M&P9 Shield EZ. Honestly my strength is very good and can work a regular semi auto handgun but Father Time will catch up one of these days so don't want to go down that road again.
    RK has it for $429.99, is this a good buy?
    Anyone with personal experience, what do you like, dislike, find odd, find comfortable, those kinds of things about this gun.
    Recommend it? why or why not?
    Comfortable carry holsters?

I don't expect each and every answer, but appreciate any real world experiences about this gun. Jams, ftf, fte, etc.

Thank you so much in advance.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    This is an easy to operate gun and I shoot mine as well as I shoot any handgun. I have shot multiple brands and weights of ammo with no issues.

I did replace the front sight with a fiber optic from Dawson Precision, but I usually put fiber optic sights on my handguns.

During takedown/reassembly you MUST NOT depress the grip safety. Doing so can result in the slide getting stuck. Follow the directions in the manual. I have not run into this but have read posts about it over on the S&W forum.

I paid $400 for mine new so $429 doesn't look so bad in today's market. Best prices I see online are about $30 less, but then you have to add shipping & transfer.

If you want to try mine out send me a PM and we'll work out a meet.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Marvin02, thank you so very much for such a genuine offer.

Thank you for the information. The ammo and weights was one concern. I greatly appreciate your timely response and wonderful offer. I have talked to one owner of one and a gunstore owner. All 3 of you agree and so it is something I will take a chance on and get started breaking it in so I know it and it knows me before I start carrying in. Thanks again!

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I have one with out the thumb safety it only has the back strap safety.

I've put a few hundred rounds through it and love it. Took my gf shooting with it and she was shooting it as much as I could keep up with her reloading the mags. She had a huge smile on her face and shooting well. I nearly had to pry it back out of her hands and she has asked for one a couple times for her bday.

I say buy two.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Good guns. I pesonaly would go with no manual thumb safety though. But there can be an issue with the grip safety for some I have seen with them in classes and people that rent them though. Especially with somewhat older or old females.

The grip safety in the back pins at the bottom so the web of the hand is what contacts it to push it in thus disengaging. Several shooters have had issues consistently disengaging the grip sfety with the thumb forward grip if their grip is not tight enough.

So if they can't get that down I will change them over to a revolver or low thumbs grip and that correcs it and bo more dead guns as the web of the hand has no choice but to disengage the grip safety.

(that revolver grip also corrects you Low and left Glock shooters but thats another topic LOL)

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    I thank you ECS686 for your reply. In '88 I started with a 686 S&W as a duty weapon. For a semi, my brain wants the thumb safety. I am glad to see it is ambidextrous.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I first saw the S&W M&P Shield EZ in .380 when a friend's wife brought one to a Revere's Riders Basic Pistol 100 event 18 months ago. It was smooth shooting and easy to operate. A few months later, I bought one for my sister. About a year later, I started shopping them on gunbroker because my fiancee needed something a bit smaller/lighter than her 3913.

Last month, I bought my fiancee a purse from Hiding Hilda(...good folks BTW). It trying it out, we were again reminded that her 3913 is bigger and heavier than she'd like in an EDC.

Saturday, I stopped at my favorite LGS and they had a used one, also in .380 and it was the Performance Center version. After some negotiating, I bought it for less than a new non-PC version(...under $400). The PC version is ported, with lightening cuts, has better trigger and better sights. We haven't had a chance to shoot it yet; but, it fits the compartment in her new purse perfectly.

mmme8Fb.jpg

GMhOGGT.jpg

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Handled an M&P Shield plus and it was a little thick for my hand. So am pretty firm on the M&P Shield EZ.
    TheJoker, thanks for the info, think that is the same purse my youngest daughter uses at times.

Ballistics: 380 versus 9 mm? Preferred and why? Anyone please feel free to chime in!

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Ballistics: 380 versus 9 mm? Preferred and why? Anyone please feel free to chime in!
    The lighter/smaller 9mms get pretty 'snappy'(...uncomfortable to shoot). She liked the little Sig until she shot one. Sure the 9mm is a better stopper; but, if it isn't comfortable to shoot, she won't train with it as much. IMHO.

ZWolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    My petite wife likes her EZ 9mm. I don't care for the stock plastic trigger, but the PC version looks to be a good choice.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I bought my wife one and she loves it. She went from a ruger sr22 to the shield ez just for the ease of racking it. She shoots my Glock 19 well enough and an xd in 9 and tried a few other 9’s my family carries. So with several to go have an opinion with she is very comfortable with the shield ez.

Top Bottom