Not open for further replies.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    As the Rodney Dangerfield of guns the Smith and Wesson Basic KFrame Service Models get no respect. Model 10 | Smith & Wesson (smith-wesson.com) It looks as though the closest thing produced today is the Model 10 in 38 Special. This Model 13 in 357 Magnum is really a shooter. I have used it in SSR Division in IDPA, street defense, PPC and ICORE.

Being raised by wolves and B&W TV Westerns, I grew up on Single Action Colt’s and Rugers. I can remember thinking that a double action revolver was for sissies. And of course, no one could get the 1911 to run so I was content. Until, it was in my best interest to put one on as I was helping with the County Police Qualifications at the F.O.P. range. When the revolver was king as duty sidearms, I was amazed at how neat they were. Dependable, accurate and deadly was 3 key features that are nice to have. Yes, there were a few Pythons but for the most part they were too delicate for police work.

I got used to the fixed sights on the Service K Frame. It was not uncommon that there were a few that the sights were not lined up right in the department mix. The barrels needed turned and being smaller counties, they really didn’t have an armorer per se. The factory fixed the ones I identified and many other cops didn’t care.
    The departments started going from Model 10’s to the Model 13 and 65 because of wanting the more powerful .357 magnum. So, in the mid 70’s I outfitted myself with a new Model 13. I couldn’t be happier. Mine came out of the box with registered sights and a great action. I aced the 600 many times with this piece. Dead on. Dead powerful. The .357 in a smaller handgun is brutal. As a matter of fact, that is why we have the LFrames today because the KFrame can not take a full diet of .357’s without some early wear.

So from then on, my KFrames only get fed .38 Specials. I had already been shooting my Model 27 with .38 specials in Bullseye matches at the Newman center in South Bend. I just love the configuration of the Model 13 as it is just a little over 9 inches long and 5 inches tall and weighs about 34 OZ with the Heavy Barrel. (Close to a Commander in weight) I used it for some local combat matches as well because the revolver stood a more equal chance with the semi auto’s as combat courses were low round count (as they should be for civil defense training) and autos often would not run. My 13 runs all the time. Period.

Just two weeks ago when another club member saw me using my homemade pistol perch, he asked if he could use the rest to shoot a group out of his gun to test it for accuracy. He saw my one ragged hole at 20 yards that I just printed with my 13 and 38 Special handloads. The best that we could get out of his name brand Polymer pistol was 4 inches. I will admit that I often use Single Action mode to print groups but that is not an option for striker fired guns.

Shown below is my grip screw which is blued like the gun. Call me weird, but I like the grip screw to match the receiver of the gun. As with all my revolvers I am running a Target Hammer and Trigger. I love the extra metal and very secure platform for my Hammer Spur. I have never been a fan of disabling the Single action mode on a double action revolver. DAO revolvers have a place and I have owned a few, but they were engineered from the factory to be DAO. The reduced mass one benefits into grinding the spur off seems only a benefit to a race gun. Form should follow function. ICORE targets don’t shoot back and I like having options with my hammer on the street.

I have went through a lot of Model 65’s (same gun as 13 only stainless) and enjoy the quick handling of a 4 inch heavy barrel K Frame. I have since lost the factory box this thing came in but it is a keeper for me. Revolvers will always be my favorite for general purpose and when I start downsizing they will be some of the last to go.
    The double action revolver has earned a place in my beginning, middle and end of the road not replacing the Single Action Revolver but chiseling out history right along with it. Sorry, I have to go now as Laramie is coming on followed by the Untouchables.

Good Shooting to all!

View attachment 94798 View attachment 94799 View attachment 94800 View attachment 94801 View attachment 94802 View attachment 94803 View attachment 94804 View attachment 94805 View attachment 94806

Attachments

• IMG_0770 (002).jpg
      IMG_0770 (002).jpg
      322.8 KB · Views: 10
    • IMG_0771 (002).jpg
      IMG_0771 (002).jpg
      616.7 KB · Views: 7
    • IMG_0772 (002).jpg
      IMG_0772 (002).jpg
      451.4 KB · Views: 7
    • IMG_0773 (002).jpg
      IMG_0773 (002).jpg