• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Who says you can’t go home again? Bringing out this 10-8 (1985) K Frame revolver not only takes me back but makes me want to spend some time with it at the range. With over 6 million of these produced since 1899, the S&W Military and Police Model is still available today. Model 10 | Smith & Wesson (smith-wesson.com) Some of you might remember my review on my Model 13. (7) Smith and Wesson Model 13 .357 Magnum | Indiana Gun Owners - Gun Classifieds and Discussions.

Let me explain the ambience of this piece.

Starting with the history of engineering and it being essentially the same for the last 123 years, it is amazing that the dependability, accuracy and power that one can get out of this easy for me to carry revolver is legendary.

There are no sights to break off, loose gas, eject screws, need batteries or snag on clothing or cut skin. Just plain old fixed sights. And this one shoots em right down the middle. Otherwise I would have it fixed or replaced. In a world where sights are big business, and I do like all my Bo-Mars, I find that it is the carpenter, not the hammer, that gets the job done. Street fighting simply does not require adjustable whirligig hoopla sights when speed is needed. This gun has and will perform when handled properly.

As far as defense goes, it is comforting to me that my spent cases go home with me. Doing reloads on the clock in the shooting sports is fun and the practice may save your life someday. However the second best gunfight to be in is the one where your efficiency has neutralized within a few rounds. The best gunfight is the one you stayed out of.

The 4 Inch heavy barrel on the Model 10 and the Model 13 are winners for strength, stability, along with sometimes needed cranial impacts and I find it rounds out a perfect balance. I know, I know, there are those that complain of how heavy this piece is. This piece tips the scale at over 34 ounces and when asked why I would carry a gun of this weight, I simply say, because they didn’t make it heavier. Just me.

At the range, from a standing position. I can ring the 12 inch gong pictured all day long at 100 yards. The gun will do it if I do my part. Sorry for some of the lint and such that shows up in the close up pics, but if you will notice, I love the font that the factory roll marked into the steel back in the day. I know, it doesn’t make it shoot any better than the laser etched cartoon letters used today, but it is home to me.

This gun easily digest Plus P ammo should I want to use it. The rifling’s are cut deep into the barrel and it cleans up super easy. What you will not find on this gun are porting, butchered charge holes, bobbed hammers and springs that will only light Federal primers. The finish is deep blue from the factory and there has been no reason to spray paint poly coating all over it. Don’t need flags, naked women, grizzly bears eating tigers, or any other theme painted on my gun.

One of the things I liked about a production change of the Model 10-8 is the factory moving the trademark meatball to the left side and making it somewhat smaller in size and less obtrusive that on the side plate.

Sometimes, less can be more in a world where we have to have $15 cups of coffee and instant gratification even if it means making the product cheaper. I find that this old revolver finds our way home time and time again.

IMG_5571 (002).jpg
    IMG_5647 (002).jpg
    IMG_5593 (002).jpg
    IMG_5630 (002).jpg
    IMG_5650 (002).jpg
    IMG_5648 (002).jpg
    IMG_5649 (002).jpg
    IMG_5640 (002).jpg
    IMG_5669 (002).jpg

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    My love for S&W revolvers is known on this forum... I love the K frame Smiths the best!, I qualified on the M&P revolver while in the Air Force, so I got some history. Much to my distress, at this time, I do not own a Smith revolver, but want to remedy it as funds allow.. Snorko, these pictures are drool worthy, and a great review!

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Wife’s first edc hvy. bbl. 1988. Great gun, still got it somewhere in the dark place. It’s what I started her on with my fwc reloads. Thanks for the memories. Great commentary.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Great review! There is just something about a K frame revolver that makes us all feel good! Thank you Messrs. Smith and Wesson.
    PS: I love the old Herters catalog. I’ve got a few that I love to look at and travel back in time!

jlshaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2022
    Glasgow
    It seems like everyone overcomplicates things these days.
    My wife and our daughters have K-38s - both model 10s and 64s.
    They all are very comfortable - and adept - with them. That's not an accident.

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    It seems like everyone overcomplicates things these days.
    My wife and our daughters have K-38s - both model 10s and 64s.
    They all are very comfortable - and adept - with them. That's not an accident.
    Hello and :welcome: to INGO. You may want to check in at the Welcome Page, let folks see we have a new member, don’t worry bout being new. These guys are pretty OK. Heck I’m new and they ain’t kicked me out yet. ;)

Greffy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2019
    Los Angeles County
    The one I have, the grip is not comfortable. Were there different sizes of factory wood 'shoes' for these beauties?
    Also, how do you find one you'll like (aftermarket?) without buying and returning and or shelving ones that don't make the 'cut'?
    Thanks for any suggestions on this issue, and thanks for this posting.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    A Beauty! Dad bought one for my Mom back in the 1960's. They're Both gone now & my Daughter is in charge of that Smith. RIP GIM & SSGT RMM-Miss you Both Everyday.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    nice write up. new here and i see you have many. i appreciate the effort and look forward to reading more. and maybe getting my hands on one of these soon.

Top Bottom