• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    or at least, shouldn't have their older kids look after their younger kids.

So, after work today, I go out in the oppressive heat and humidity to walk my dog. I see a toddler down the street from me in front of a house that has a home daycare. Cross the street because my dog doesn't do well with grabby little kids.

Then out of no where a cute, friendly little dog is at our feet, running around me and my dog. Pick up my dog, because he also doesn't like being sniffed at, and the other pup is jumping up and down trying to introduce themselves. I give a couple good shouts like, hey, hey, anyone missing a dog. Put my dog down and feel around the other dogs collar, NO TAG.

I look over my shoulder and here comes this toddler crossing the street. Luckily we're in a subdivision and there's not much traffic on our street. But, it is rush hour, and people tend to go to fast in the whole neighborhood. So, I grab up my dog, cross over to the other side, and the toddler follows.

Went up and knocked on the day care house to see if they knew who the kid or dog was. Young girl answers, nope not here. Other dog runs right in their house, which was funny. Meantime, the toddler and the dog runs to the back of the house, so I follow, still holding my dog.

There's a lady back there, hey, do you know this kid or dog? Nope. So, then I start to panic, missing kid, clothed, don't see any injury or blood (because my mind goes to God I hope someone isn't hurt and this child wandered away.) Called 911. On call, give address, name, phone #. As I'm doing that a truck came down the alley behind the houses, so I made a slow down gesture and pointed at the dog and the kid. The lady picked up the dog, and kept an eye on the kid, so I started to the front of my house to put the dog inside.

911 - can you describe the kid.

Me: errrrr...

911 - ethnicity, white, black...

Me: male, hispanic, dark hair, about foot and a half. maybe 1-3 YO

Leave the dog at the house, go back around.

911 - is he dressed, is he injured.

Me: diapers, green sweatshirt.

Reach the back of the house, they're not there, so I start walking down the alley. They're at the front porch of the house and the kid is trying to get in.

911 - does he know who he is.

Kid is trying the door so I knock on the door.

Me: hey buddy, what's your name? (I ask the lady do you speak spanish)

911 - Cómo te llamas

Me: Cómo te llamas (at least I pronounced it correctly, but the kid just leans into the door as I ask him that.)

Kid is trying real hard to grasp the latch, so I start opening the door. A teenager (I believe) comes rushing from the back of the house. Shouts a few expletive's, speaks spanish to the kid, and gives him a few whacks on the butt.

Me to 911: Oh thank god, we're at the kids house. No, we don't need a response, thank you.

They just moved in 2 weeks ago, and I hadn't really seen anyone in the house yet, or the dog being walked. The teenager apologized, said he was in the back cleaning. Suggested he lock his front door from now on.

Thank God everything turned out good. I was in a full adrenalized mode and took me a few to calm down. Really need to learn spanish. Had 2 courses over summer school in college, but no use, no retention.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    This will teach you.

I'm always amazed at how many people there are in this country who have no F'n clue about how the world works. This is what happens when you surround your children in bubble wrap, hover around them all the time to make sure they're protected, give them pretty much whatever they want and hang on their every word. How can reality compare with that? These kids eventually have to become adults and you don't want them to have a skewed outlook on life. I hated cleaning my room, having to do chores, only having money if I did something for it and things like that, but at least it taught me about life and how things would be when I was on my own. Not like a lot of kids today.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    or at least, shouldn't have their older kids look after their younger kids.

So, after work today, I go out in the oppressive heat and humidity to walk my dog. I see a toddler down the street from me in front of a house that has a home daycare. Cross the street because my dog doesn't do well with grabby little kids.

Then out of no where a cute, friendly little dog is at our feet, running around me and my dog. Pick up my dog, because he also doesn't like being sniffed at, and the other pup is jumping up and down trying to introduce themselves. I give a couple good shouts like, hey, hey, anyone missing a dog. Put my dog down and feel around the other dogs collar, NO TAG.

I look over my shoulder and here comes this toddler crossing the street. Luckily we're in a subdivision and there's not much traffic on our street. But, it is rush hour, and people tend to go to fast in the whole neighborhood. So, I grab up my dog, cross over to the other side, and the toddler follows.

Went up and knocked on the day care house to see if they knew who the kid or dog was. Young girl answers, nope not here. Other dog runs right in their house, which was funny. Meantime, the toddler and the dog runs to the back of the house, so I follow, still holding my dog.

There's a lady back there, hey, do you know this kid or dog? Nope. So, then I start to panic, missing kid, clothed, don't see any injury or blood (because my mind goes to God I hope someone isn't hurt and this child wandered away.) Called 911. On call, give address, name, phone #. As I'm doing that a truck came down the alley behind the houses, so I made a slow down gesture and pointed at the dog and the kid. The lady picked up the dog, and kept an eye on the kid, so I started to the front of my house to put the dog inside.

911 - can you describe the kid.

Me: errrrr...

911 - ethnicity, white, black...

Me: male, hispanic, dark hair, about foot and a half. maybe 1-3 YO

Leave the dog at the house, go back around.

911 - is he dressed, is he injured.

Me: diapers, green sweatshirt.

Reach the back of the house, they're not there, so I start walking down the alley. They're at the front porch of the house and the kid is trying to get in.

911 - does he know who he is.

Kid is trying the door so I knock on the door.

Me: hey buddy, what's your name? (I ask the lady do you speak spanish)

911 - Cómo te llamas

Me: Cómo te llamas (at least I pronounced it correctly, but the kid just leans into the door as I ask him that.)

Kid is trying real hard to grasp the latch, so I start opening the door. A teenager (I believe) comes rushing from the back of the house. Shouts a few expletive's, speaks spanish to the kid, and gives him a few whacks on the butt.

Me to 911: Oh thank god, we're at the kids house. No, we don't need a response, thank you.

They just moved in 2 weeks ago, and I hadn't really seen anyone in the house yet, or the dog being walked. The teenager apologized, said he was in the back cleaning. Suggested he lock his front door from now on.

Thank God everything turned out good. I was in a full adrenalized mode and took me a few to calm down. Really need to learn spanish. Had 2 courses over summer school in college, but no use, no retention.
    Funny how some childhood memories you can still recall so vividly—I did this when I was about this kid’s age.

It was probably a Saturday morning and mom and dad were still sleeping when I decided I was going to go to the store. It was one of those little neighborhood stores down the street and around the block. I wanted some candy and I knew where to go get it.

I guess the owner knew my parents and called them when I got there. I remember dad picking me up and taking me home.

I don’t remember getting any candy though.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Free range toddlers, the new trend in parenting. By allowing them to wander the neighborhood and scavenge for their own food, the farmer can command a much higher price at the supermarket later.

Funny how some childhood memories you can still recall so vividly—I did this when I was about this kid’s age.

It was probably a Saturday morning and mom and dad were still sleeping when I decided I was going to go to the store. It was one of those little neighborhood stores down the street and around the block. I wanted some candy and I knew where to go get it.

I guess the owner knew my parents and called them when I got there. I remember dad picking me up and taking me home.

I don’t remember getting any candy though.
    My siblings and I all have at least one of these stories. When my sister was about 2, she seized an opportunity to get out after a UPS driver left the door unlatched, and took off waddling up the road to go to our cousins house. Displaying more land nav skills than many grown adults I know, by the way. She got a decent head start before anyone noticed. Huge freakout, parents called the sheriff to ask for help finding her, and sure enough she was about a quarter mile away just strolling up the road to the cousins.

Kids get out. It happens.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Apparently when I was a toddler, my dad came home for lunch, walked in the back door, washed up, asked mom if she’d gotten the mail, walked out the back door and around to the mailbox, (house was 100’ off a state highway) but went back around the opposite side of the house. Asked mom where I was, she was in the middle of saying she thought I was with him when they heard tires screeching.
    Probably the scaredest my dad ever was.
    He was always so methodical, and this made him more so. He never walked a different way back than he had came without good reason, and thinking it through, again.

Last edited:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Don't bother learning Spanish unless you plan on moving to a country where they speak Spanish. If anyone who natively speaks a different language wants to move to the US, then they can learn to speak f***ing English or GTFO.

djay7677

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 29, 2022
    Mishawaka IN
    I saw a kid <2 yrs old who had wondered at least a block and a half away from home. Worst part about it is that adults were sitting on the porch oblivious to where their child was.

Top Bottom