• ...and so much more!
  • SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    You can bet on that. Out where we live, the "town council" and zoning board are basically rubber stamps for whatever Godawful project their developer buddies have in mind. No matter what objections are brought up (adding a single exit for four hundred some odd houses onto a two lane road), they're pooh-poohed and the development is greenlighted.
    The same is happening in N.W. Johnson co., the schools and roads can not handle the influx of new residents. Where to go? wish I had a clue, but at 75 I probably will stick it out and try to adjust.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I found out what I am getting for Christmas. A half mile of new fence!

I put in the existing fence over 20 years ago myself. No easy task down here in unglaciated territory. Some had to be punched through limestone lenses 12" thick with a spud bar. I cut the cedar posts out of my woods and drug them out with my draft horse 'Michelob'.

An Ash tree next to the fence was struck by lightning years ago and went down the tree, through the lateral roots, up a post and into the wires which blew out the staples 4-5 posts both directions. This destroyed the tensile and the galvanizing to the whole fence. The sod that was over the root was laid over like you went through with a plow and the cedar post looked like a sliced pie from the top. The tree actually survived only to be killed by Ash Borers just recently.

Deer and neighbors cows did the rest, now the posts are 'staple dead' and the wire is looking rough. We are having the Amish make this one. The grandson of the neighbor I had at the time of the last build has the farm now. I am too old and decrepit, he is working 7 days a week.

On a brighter note I am saving all the old posts to 'rick up' in my woods as rabbit habitat...
    Building that fence had to be very fulfilling, I’m sure. It’s funny how something assumingly mundane can be like that. By my way of thinking, that is living in the rhythm of environment, life, and nature surrounding you in the moment, like our friend in the video above talked about. It’s not always this far off thing, sometime we just need to recognize it.
    I’ve done some of those seemingly mundane things, and they can turn out to be pivotal moments in life.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Glad you bumped this. I did not read the ent thread in 2021. Good thread. Lots of life In farming and I am glad it was part of my formative years. I miss it.
    Most kids today think milk comes from that plastic jug….I learned about electricity from an electric fence, having to pee, and my farmer cousin at the age of 7…..good time was had by all…except me!!!…lol

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Minor update: My folks sold about 40% of their farm. The family that bought it wishes to continue the dream of a wholly organic vegetable / produce farm.

Also - I've heard that my folks will be selling another of their businesses soon, too.

Good. They need to retire.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Ohh. We've considered growing grapes for wine. And we have pawpaws on our property; didn't know you could make wine from their juice! Any tips, suggestions?

I just take the ripe paw paws and mash them in my hands holding on to the peels and letting the inside pulp and seeds drop into a bucket. When I get enough I add water and sugar then strain the seeds and larger pieces of pulp out. At this point it's like any other wine must, you will need things like pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, campden tablets and a yeast, I used Lalvin 1122 as it produces a fruitier flavor. Finished up out of the secondary fermenter it tastes like a mix of strawberry and mango.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Minor update: My folks sold about 40% of their farm. The family that bought it wishes to continue the dream of a wholly organic vegetable / produce farm.

Also - I've heard that my folks will be selling another of their businesses soon, too.

Good. They need to retire.

I am hoping this is what they want and they enjoy the next phase of their lives.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Most kids today think milk comes from that plastic jug….I learned about electricity from an electric fence, having to pee, and my farmer cousin at the age of 7…..good time was had by all…except me!!!…lol

My dad taught my uncle about electricity the same way! LOL

That story still gets told these days.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I learned the hard way about those 3 wire fences.

In HS I was a mid distance runner. I was out on a run in rural Hendricks county. I realized I chose a too-long route. I looked over at an empty pasture I could cut through. I was standing next to the fence. I measured the distance, and the bottom wire came to about 6" short of my crotch. I was wearing spandex shorts, so no chance of coming in contact. I could easily step through carefully. No problem.

At least there wasnt a problem until I stepped through the fence. Aaaaaaannnnnd into a hidden hole in the weeds 10" deep. ZZZZZZZT!!!! volts to the nuts. :faint:

Lets just say my trip home was a bit slower than the run out.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I am hoping this is what they want and they enjoy the next phase of their lives.
    I hope so, too.

He's still plenty busy. he's now an "employee" of his former farm. 20-30 hours a week or so. Half to teach the new owners what to do, half to do actual work.

Plus he's got his woods that he's working on culling trees.

Plus the cattle.

Bad thing: He needs to have shoulder surgery. He's tried putting it off, but that ish doesn't heal itself.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    I hope so, too.

He's still plenty busy. he's now an "employee" of his former farm. 20-30 hours a week or so. Half to teach the new owners what to do, half to do actual work.

Plus he's got his woods that he's working on culling trees.

Plus the cattle.

Bad thing: He needs to have shoulder surgery. He's tried putting it off, but that ish doesn't heal itself.
    I had rotator cuff surgery about 6 years ago, 3months in a sling and 9 months of PT that was worse than the surgery!
    I wish him luck

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I had rotator cuff surgery about 6 years ago, 3months in a sling and 9 months of PT that was worse than the surgery!
    I wish him luck
    I worry for him... He's a damned stubborn old man (if being born in 1954 is old...) No way no how is he doing to do his PT correctly.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    I worry for him... He's a damned stubborn old man (if being born in 1954 is old...) No way no how is he doing to do his PT correctly.
    My advise is that he better...I know a couple guys our age (mid to late 60s ) who went thru rotator cuff surgery and didn't do the Pt at all or at least not properly and don't have the full range of motion. One guy had to have the same surgery a second time

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My advise is that he better...I know a couple guys our age (mid to late 60s ) who went thru rotator cuff surgery and didn't do the Pt at all or at least not properly and don't have the full range of motion. One guy had to have the same surgery a second time
    Listen... I know that and you know that and my mom knows that...

But my dad, man - he's an "I'll be OK" dude. *sigh*

And speaking of not full range of shoulder motion: I'm currently dealing with adhesive capsulitis in my left shoulder. So. Much. Fun.

Top Bottom