• ...and so much more!
  • Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Interesting video.
    We have what I refer to as a hobby farm....goats, chickens, dogs, hayfield, vegetable garden, wooded areas for firewood, and the river!
    I've always dreamed of something like this, and tho I came to it late in life. I find it enjoyable.
    There is however lots and lots of work...not for the lazy or faint of heart.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Man - I wish someone would go video my folks' farm. 100% organic produce + 40 acres of organic grain / hay production + chicken & eggs + heritage beef.

My folks are definitely of retirement age - yet he just keeps doing more & more & more and wearing himself ragged. He's gonna keel over on the tractor one day and that'll be that.

Anyhow: I think a well-produced video or two highlighting the property would be an amazing A) Tribute and B ) a way to potentially find a buyer.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I grew up farming, and since I left to make my way in the world, I've never even owned a pet. I've decided that I'm more of a forager than farmer, living off the land some, but still buying groceries at the store. Don't want to discourage a dream, but it's just not for me.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Interesting video.
    We have what I refer to as a hobby farm....goats, chickens, dogs, hayfield, vegetable garden, wooded areas for firewood, and the river!
    I've always dreamed of something like this, and tho I came to it late in life. I find it enjoyable.
    There is however lots and lots of work...not for the lazy or faint of heart.
    What a great life that would be...

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I grew up farming, and since I left to make my way in the world, I've never even owned a pet. I've decided that I'm more of a forager than farmer, living off the land some, but still buying groceries at the store. Don't want to discourage a dream, but it's just not for me.
    I'm with you for the most part. Problem with critters is you're tied to their schedule as well as your own. Gotta plan vacation for after you slaughter the pig kind of life. I do like my little brother's chickens for the eggs. I've been trading him bourbon for them.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm with you for the most part. Problem with critters is you're tied to their schedule as well as your own. Gotta plan vacation for after you slaughter the pig kind of life. I do like my little brother's chickens for the eggs. I've been trading him bourbon for them.

The crap shoveling, dealing with rats, and working around large unpredictable animals that are valuable, but injure you just the same, it wore thin over the years. Now I collect woods food based during the season to augment the groceries and help the gardener with her stuff. I do grow grapes for wine, but also make it from paw paws and wild blackberries.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    The crap shoveling, dealing with rats, and working around large unpredictable animals that are valuable, but injure you just the same, it wore thin over the years. Now I collect woods food based during the season to augment the groceries and help the gardener with her stuff. I do grow grapes for wine, but also make it from paw paws and wild blackberries.
    Shoveling manure will build some muscle and some character. I've filled the old spreader more times than I care to count. And I blame that for the character I've become.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Man - I wish someone would go video my folks' farm. 100% organic produce + 40 acres of organic grain / hay production + chicken & eggs + heritage beef.

My folks are definitely of retirement age - yet he just keeps doing more & more & more and wearing himself ragged. He's gonna keel over on the tractor one day and that'll be that.

Anyhow: I think a well-produced video or two highlighting the property would be an amazing A) Tribute and B ) a way to potentially find a buyer.

That “someone” is you, brother.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    This man's message is a remarkable study on where the farming industry started, how got to where it is, and where it will end up.

Watch it all, it's worth the 15 minutes of your life.

That was pretty enjoyable, John.

I might have to involve him in a discussion or two. I’d like to hear (not discuss) his reasonings behind avoiding finance as a tool. I know a few of the reasons FOR it, but I like to hear all about reasons against it. SYSTEMIC reasoning.

Reminds me...I have a book you need to read, sir.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    All that you stated is true.
    However, being tied to the land has it's benefits.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

I might have to involve him in a discussion or two. I’d like to hear (not discuss) his reasonings behind avoiding finance as a tool. I know a few of the reasons FOR it, but I like to hear all about reasons against it. SYSTEMIC reasoning.

I'd be happy to run out to your place to retrieve it. Just let me know.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Speaking of books. If you have time on your hands this winter, Wendell Berry wrote some great prose for farmers. He also wrote some poetry, but I enjoy the stories more.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    I admire the old power, but I won’t be giving up my modern implements any time soon. I wonder how many times he had to stop and weld the sickle.

I like the drone footage. I’d like to get one to show the way we do hay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom