• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    What’s the best way to test a sling setup? I’m thinking that doing a longer hike with whatever sling system you are trying to test would be the best way but outside of owning a large piece of land, where could you do that without attracting attention? Has anyone tried to do a hike in the Hoosier National Forest with an AR to see how a sling system holds up? I imagine that could get some attention of the type that you don’t want.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Hike the Nebo trail and/or Browning Hill area you probably won't see anyone else this time of year. Even in the summer you would only see a couple of mtn bike riders or equestrians or none at all.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Myself and a few buddies used to hike the Low Gap trail in Morgan-Monroe Forestry every Saturday with a 100 lb rucksacks when were in the N.G. Never carried a rifle, but we all wore sidearms. Rarely saw another soul. I doubt anyone would give you a second look IF you happened to see someone on that trail.
    https://www.hoosierhikerscouncil.org/assets/2017_Low_Gap_Hiking_Map.pdf

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I need to get on Gaia and check the trails mentioned out. Any worries about stumbling into hunting areas or being mistaken for a poacher by a ranger?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Most of HNF is a hunting area. If it is any deer season, where some blaze orange. I wouldn't expect a problem this time of year but stay far away on the first weekend firearm deer season...lol.

I would leave the rifles unloaded and on the off chance you did see a ranger I don't think there would be any problem explaining what you're doing. You can even take a target and plink some.

Scroll down to "Hunting, Trapping, Fishing & Firearms"...https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/hoosier/notices/?cid=STELPRDB5288194

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/hoosier/recreation/hiking/recarea/?recid=41578&actid=50

Chances are I would go to Nebo with you. I have biked it a few times and hiked in the area.

Also used to camp in the general area a lot back in the day.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    What’s the best way to test a sling setup? I’m thinking that doing a longer hike with whatever sling system you are trying to test would be the best way but outside of owning a large piece of land, where could you do that without attracting attention? Has anyone tried to do a hike in the Hoosier National Forest with an AR to see how a sling system holds up? I imagine that could get some attention of the type that you don’t want.

Use it at a Revere's Riders event.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Most of HNF is a hunting area. If it is any deer season, where some blaze orange. I wouldn't expect a problem this time of year but stay far away on the first weekend firearm deer season...lol.

I would leave the rifles unloaded and on the off chance you did see a ranger I don't think there would be any problem explaining what you're doing. You can even take a target and plink some.

Scroll down to "Hunting, Trapping, Fishing & Firearms"...https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/hoosier/notices/?cid=STELPRDB5288194

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/hoosier/recreation/hiking/recarea/?recid=41578&actid=50

Chances are I would go to Nebo with you. I have biked it a few times and hiked in the area.

Also used to camp in the general area a lot back in the day.

Sounds like I need to do some exploring down that way.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Use it at a Revere's Riders event.
    This.

There is a RR 223 Carbine class coming up in Feb. If not a RR class then take a carbine class from any qualified instructor.

Running different drills with your rifle and load out is going to tell you a hell of a lot more about your sling set up than taking a hike ever will. As with anything gun related, mission drives the gear.

Are you looking for a basic set up for strong side only shooting while standing? Are you going to be riding in a vehicle? Doing CQB stuff like room clearing? Do you want to be able to transition from strong side to weak side without swimming out of the sling? These all may require different set ups. They may not.

Are you going to be rocking body armor, a chest rig, or both? Or do you like to use a battle belt?

Do you want to be able to remove the sling from the stock and move it to the butt plate? Or can you get by just threading the sling through the stock? Do you want to use QD mounts to give yourself multiple options?

Get yourself into a class and try things out. See what other guys are running and ask them about their philosophy of use. That's half the fun of training. Seeing what other dudes are doing.

I've refined my set up over the past few years by trying different configurations while running drills. By using QD mounts I have at least three ways I can go. But I don't use any type of fancy tacticool sling. Mine are all $15 Amazon specials and they work great for me.

If I had an interest in dropping more cash into a sling it would be the Blue Force Gear Vickers sling, but I can do everything with mine that that one does. Only difference is mine isn't padded and the tri-glides for adjustments on the Vickers sling are smoother than a baby's ass. I have to muscle mine a bit more to adjust the length. But I don't need to adjust the length that often. If I know I am doing transitions I use QD mounts to move from the stock to the butt plate.

Last edited:

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    A few years ago I went out in Morgan monroe state forest and hiked 7-8 miles with my setup on. I did have a regular hunting license. I'm guessing if a conservative officer seen you he would probably try to get you for not having a hunting license. It's a good precaution and I believe coyote season was still in. I'm using a two point vikings vtac and it worked out well. The wide bravo company charging handle however kept jabbing me in the chest. For the most part I was hiking off trails but I did get on a few trails towards the end and had to walk back to the car down the main forestry road for probably two miles.. I like to go early this time of year when it's cold. Nobody's out there.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    What kind of sling performance are you trying to evaluate?

All I am looking for at the moment is trying to figure out if I could spend a day using one particular sling to carry a 10lb rifle. It’s the Urban ERT sling system. I’ve carried a rifle with it a couple of hundred yards and it works fine. I’m wondering how it would hold up for a couple of miles

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    This.

There is a RR 223 Carbine class coming up in Feb. If not a RR class then take a carbine class from any qualified instructor.

Running different drills with your rifle and load out is going to tell you a hell of a lot more about your sling set up than taking a hike ever will. As with anything gun related, mission drives the gear.

Are you looking for a basic set up for strong side only shooting while standing? Are you going to be riding in a vehicle? Doing CQB stuff like room clearing? Do you want to be able to transition from strong side to weak side without swimming out of the sling? These all may require different set ups. They may not.

Are you going to be rocking body armor, a chest rig, or both? Or do you like to use a battle belt?

Do you want to be able to remove the sling from the stock and move it to the butt plate? Or can you get by just threading the sling through the stock? Do you want to use QD mounts to give yourself multiple options?

Get yourself into a class and try things out. See what other guys are running and ask them about their philosophy of use. That's half the fun of training. Seeing what other dudes are doing.

I've refined my set up over the past few years by trying different configurations while running drills. By using QD mounts I have at least three ways I can go. But I don't use any type of fancy tacticool sling. Mine are all $15 Amazon specials and they work great for me.

If I had an interest in dropping more cash into a sling it would be the Blue Force Gear Vickers sling, but I can do everything with mine that that one does. Only difference is mine isn't padded and the tri-glides for adjustments on the Vickers sling are smoother than a baby's ass. I have to muscle mine a bit more to adjust the length. But I don't need to adjust the length that often. If I know I am doing transitions I use QD mounts to move from the stock to the butt plate.

Lots of good info here. I’ll look into the RR to see if I can make it in Feb

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Wear it around the house. Doing chores, laundry, up and down the stairs, mopping floors, etc. will tell you how good it is.

I was a kid with my first SP-1 when I had to carry the damn thing around all day. Important lesson.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Wear it around the house. Doing chores, laundry, up and down the stairs, mopping floors, etc. will tell you how good it is.

I was a kid with my first SP-1 when I had to carry the damn thing around all day. Important lesson.

I had not considered that. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom