• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sportsman223

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Passing on Doe's
    Browning CX would be the best choice it’s a 60/40 gun, can easily be rebuilt after several thousands of rounds will last two life times if taken care of buy once cry once
    The forearm issue is when screws on iron become loose have three of these with no issues

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    For a budget gun that is still great quality, keep your eyes out for an Ithaca SKB made over-under. The prices are going up fast, but you can still find a 500 or 600 series well under 1k. They can be found in skeet/skeet and are still undervalued in my opinion. 12ga is a no brainer right now, its cheaper and you can go down to 7/8 ounce so it will shoot like a 20 if you want to play with lighter loads.

98cirrus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Goshen
    Skeet, sporting clays and trap all have different requirements for shotguns. If you want one shotgun that will do all three well, you are looking at a over/under or a semi-auto with removable choke tubes. A pump will work well for trap, but will be a little more challenging for skeet and sporting clays. My skills hold me back enough, so I didn’t need any additional “challenge” when I was shotgun shopping.

As Bigtanker said above, fit is the most important thing to take into consideration. I was in the same position as you and ended up buying a Beretta A300. I had no plans to get seriously competitive in any of the shooting sports, so I wanted one gun that would do it all well. The Beretta has performed flawlessly. Good luck in your search!
    Ditto the Beretta A300 "clays" with a 30" barrel. I have one as a backup to my Winchester 101clays. That longer Barrel is the trend allowing for a finer sighting with the longer sighting plane. Mine has also killed a wild pheasant or two. Watch out for the guys getting over a grand for them. Shop around a bit and you should be under around 900 before tax. You can get the 28" hunting versions at RK for around 700$.

IsThatLegal?

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2017
    Whitestown
    I'd recommend stopping by Indy Gun Club and talk to the guys there. They'll help you build a short list based on what you want to get into.
    ^^^^^^ This. Indiana Gun usually has a good selection, even in these times. And they are knowedgeable and will help you form your short list of guns to consider. I have known their staff for years and think you would benefit from a visit there even if you dont buy anything from them. And they can help fit the gun to you.

AdventureTeamJoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 10, 2018
    Indy Northside
    Again,many thanks to INGO for the advice and recommendations. Definitely pushed me in the direction that I ultimately went. After a good bit of experimentation and budget rethinking, ended up with a used, older Beretta Silver Pigeon in 12 gauge. The LOP is nearly perfect and for some reason, I'm able to mount the gun more consistently than anything else I shot.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Again,many thanks to INGO for the advice and recommendations. Definitely pushed me in the direction that I ultimately went. After a good bit of experimentation and budget rethinking, ended up with a used, older Beretta Silver Pigeon in 12 gauge. The LOP is nearly perfect and for some reason, I'm able to mount the gun more consistently than anything else I shot.
    Great choice and if you got that in your budget you got a good deal :)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW i drug out the 1100T last week.
    First time shooting trap since 2001 or 2002 ( cant remember LOL ). Did take it dove hunting on a wheat field behind buds house maybe in 2004.

16 yarder, 23 out of 25. One clicked my cheek pretty good so i didnt do a 2nd round.

Sore for 2 days

Ill stick w my field 1100. The Trap is cool and w the burl wood heavy. But even w comb reduced some, its too high to go unscathed.

Bye bye.

Id like a nicer target/ hunting rig but am used to the cheapo Remingtons so thats where Im stayin.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

EXCELLENT choice!

Top Bottom