• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I think your Mossberg 930 is fine for awhile. I shoot at Indiana Gun Club, mainly trap, and use my Mossberg 500. Ironically I am more accurate with a single shot Ithaca 20 gauge.

I have seen some very expensive shotguns out there, from Benelli to Brownings to Berettas, etc. But a standard pump is pretty common.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I pondered the decision of what “do it all” shotgun to buy a couple years back and ended up buying a Remington Versa Max with composite furniture, primarily because they make it in left-hand but also because it has adjustable cast and interchangeable combs. It has a 28” barrel and came with five interchangeable choke tubes. I’ve since changed careers and relocated, so I haven’t had a chance to fit or try it yet.

Attachments

• 5C831130-4849-4166-8262-CE3C4B7E027C.jpeg
      5C831130-4849-4166-8262-CE3C4B7E027C.jpeg
      352.4 KB · Views: 6
    • 2762764B-7A08-4AAA-80C4-4CF00F2B8E44.jpeg
      2762764B-7A08-4AAA-80C4-4CF00F2B8E44.jpeg
      211.6 KB · Views: 6

Axxe55

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2021
    Texas.
    My personal favorite for sporting clays is an over and under 12 gauge. A pump will work, and if you get use to using a pump for clay shooting, will work quite well. Just takes practice though.

If I were looking for a more, do it all shotgun, for home defense, hunting and recreational shooting, I'd choose as well as recommend getting a pump, or even a good semi-auto shotgun.

If you able to invest in more than one shotgun, and want a dedicated clay shooter, I'd have to recommend an O/U shotgun.

BullDawg327

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2019
    North Indy
    My personal favorite for sporting clays is an over and under 12 gauge. A pump will work, and if you get use to using a pump for clay shooting, will work quite well. Just takes practice though.

If I were looking for a more, do it all shotgun, for home defense, hunting and recreational shooting, I'd choose as well as recommend getting a pump, or even a good semi-auto shotgun.

If you able to invest in more than one shotgun, and want a dedicated clay shooter, I'd have to recommend an O/U shotgun.
    I used to shoot a pump for clays, but once I switched to an O/U I was kicking myself. You don’t have to go fancy just get something comfortable.

Axxe55

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2021
    Texas.
    I used to shoot a pump for clays, but once I switched to an O/U I was kicking myself. You don’t have to go fancy just get something comfortable.

To each their own. But I have seen more people that took up sporting clays, switch to an O/U shotgun and never looked back.

I was relaying my own personal experiences. OP can make their own choice.

BullDawg327

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2019
    North Indy
    To each their own. But I have seen more people that took up sporting clays, switch to an O/U shotgun and never looked back.

I was relaying my own personal experiences. OP can make their own choice.
    Sorry if I was unclear, I was kicking myself for shooting all those years with a pump when I should have bought the O/U.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Given the $1k budget you mentioned, I would recommend a CZ Redhead Premier O/U.
    I'm a shotgun clays games guy and here is my opinion for what it's worth.
    First and foremost whatever gun you choose has to fit. A poor fitting shotgun will cause you all kinds of frustration and missed targets. You should be able to close your eyes, mount the gun and then open your eyes and be able to look right down the rib and see the front bead. If the gun has a mid bead then the two beads should be stacked to form a figure 8. Also, when mou ted the tip of your nose should be about 2 inches from thw first knuckle on your thumb. That will give you a reasonably good fit to start with.
    Gun selection.. Don't even bother with a 20g unless you plan to ONLY shoot skeet since skeet targets are never more than 20yds away. A 20g gives up too much on longer shots regardless of choke used. Clays games are mostly dominated by 12g and the recoil of 20g vs 12g is pretty much equal. Get a 12g don't over think it. Next you need to decide what kind of gun (action) you want and like. A pump is fine for singles trap but takes more skill to get good on the follow up shot when shooting anything with doubles. Good pumps would be Remington 870 wing master or Browning BPS or even a well taken care of Winchester model 12. Semi autos offer lighter recoil and faster follow up shots than a pump gun. But, semi autos often require more maintenance and cleaning. If you use a semi auto to shoot trap GET A SHELL CATCHER. Battering the shooter or their gun next to you with flying shells is aggravating and those with higher end guns get p!$$ed when a shell hits their gun. Good semi autos are Berettas (any), Remington 1100 comp synthetic. O/U's have some benefits and are probably the most common in clays games. They're easy to maintain, fast follow up shot on doubles, selectable barrels for choke selection on sporting clays, shorter overall length without giving up barrel length. While the CZ that I mentioned is decent for a 1k gun, to get a decent and reliable target gun you will need to double that budget (I hate saying that). Good O/U's Browning Citori (CX, CXS), Beretta silver pigeon or if you have to stick with that budget the CZ Redhead Premier. Just know the CZ may not hold the same resale value as the B guns and won't have the same overall quality.
    Regardless what kind of gun you choose for clays most people like 30"-34" with 32" being most common but it's more about personal choice and how it feels to you than any ballistic advantage.
    Get out to clubs and talk to people, ask questions and you may find many will let you try their guns. Try as many as you can to find what you like. Good luck

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Oh, cheap guns may get you in the game but they generally aren't built to handle the volume of shooting an actual target gun will. Cheaper guns are a compromise and won't hold value when you upgrade. Like they say about tattoos, cheap tattoos aren't good and good tattoos aren't cheap. That applies to shotguns too. Nothing wrong with shooting a cheaper gun to get started though

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Oh, cheap guns may get you in the game but they generally aren't built to handle the volume of shooting an actual target gun will. Cheaper guns are a compromise and won't hold value when you upgrade. Like they say about tattoos, cheap tattoos aren't good and good tattoos aren't cheap. That applies to shotguns too. Nothing wrong with shooting a cheaper gun to get started though
    This guys knows a thing or two about shotgunning. You would do well to follow his advice.

When I got into Trap, I didn't realize the amount of use my old Beretta AL-2 field gun would get. Prior to that, I owned that gun since I was 19 years old, duck hunted with it annually and when I started Trap, it was pristine. After two seasons of Trap, it was definitely showing some wear.

I figure in 2 seasons of Trap I probably put 10X the number of shells through it than all the previous years combined. Maybe more.

Now that I think of it, I should think about refinishing the wood on that old shotgun. I am finally getting the hang of using Tru Oil, lol.

10-22 Stock 2.jpg

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Well this is INGO after all. Just asking question will get the same results, what makes INGO fun.

Yep!

Perhaps I should have withheld my opinion.

I enjoy clays as practice for bird hunting.

Folks that are serious about clays are at a whole different level.

I simply enjoy practicing with an old over under.....while waiting for bird season to roll around when we get dogs in the field!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yep!

Perhaps I should have withheld my opinion.

I enjoy clays as practice for bird hunting.

Folks that are serious about clays are at a whole different level.

I simply enjoy practicing with an old over under.....while waiting for bird season to roll around when we get dogs in the field!

Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes. That wasn't my intention at all. From my perspective the OP was asking about guns to shoot clays, not so much an all purpose or hunting shotgun. I was just trying to give some straight forward info based on years of experience.

Emo66

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Valparaiso
    Great thread! I too shot sporting clays this summer for the first time. Only shotgun I have is a Mossberg 500. I think I held my own! I went with a great group who were more than willing to allow me try their rigs. I shot o/u’s and autos ( one cost more than my truck). I think for me, until I get better or decide to make a much more serious hobby out of it, I’ll just stay with my old pump.
    Not like you can find ammo anyway!

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    one cost more than my truck
    My two guns total cost doesn't come near what most dedicated clay guns cost. Shooting them is still fun. I think if it as having more money to buy ammo, when I can find it.

I've only shot trap so far, going to expand to sporting clays and maybe skeet this summer.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You can get into a true dedicated clays quality Browning for a $2K new or a little less if you buy used.
    Since the OP asked about a gun to shoot Sporting Clays and Skeet, IMHO the absolute best bang for the money is the Browning CItori CX or CXS. The Browning Cynergy CX/CXS costs a little less but there seems to be some issue with the forearm cracking from loose or over tightened screws. But you could also look for a Browning GTI or Browning Broadway.

A good quality shotgun doesn't have to cost a fortune. Now if you decide to shoot thousands of registered targets every year then you may want to step up to a Browning 725, K gun or a spaghetti gun (Italian)

Top Bottom