• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AdventureTeamJoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 10, 2018
    Indy Northside
    Coworker recently introduced me to clay bird shooting. I've been borrowing a 20 gauge O/U and really enjoy the experience. Now thinking about buying a sporting gun and realize I have no real idea what to look for. 12 or 20 gauge? O/U or semi-auto? New or used?

Appreciate any guidance from experienced shooters. Obviously don't need to venture into Krieghoff or Perazzi territory but don't want to start with a beater either. Would like to stay with a budget under $1000 if possible.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Stevens 555 O/U
    Stoeger Confirm Competition O/U

Both are good guns and I've seen quite a few people shooting them with good results.

My first shotgun was a Weatherby SA-08 semi auto. Runs great and the clays break fine when I do my part.

The Stoeger M3000 & M3509 semi-autos are popular with a number of people where I shoot trap.

That's a view with a budget in mind, there will be folks along who will tell you to wait and get one of the 3 Bs. They are not wrong, just have to spend more.

There's a 20 gauge listed in the classies right now IIRC.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I love my Stoeger Condor. Its an entry level O/U with no frills. Ive also busted MANY clays with my Mossberg 500. I'd say at this stage, anything really will work for you. Worry about a gun that is "better" for clays once you have become better at it.

If you have a shotgun and its working for you, stick with it for now as you get better. Nobody says you have to show up with a gun thats designed for clays.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I don't shoot a lot of shotgun, but I do have a Remington 870 pump for those times when I do. It's a cheap and capable starter gun that will get you into the game until you know what you want.

I'd recommend stopping by Indy Gun Club and talk to the guys there. They'll help you build a short list based on what you want to get into.

TxPhred

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I don't have any specific recommendations but I will say a $250 gun that fits YOU will outshoot the $1000 gun that doesn't. If at all possible, try before you buy. Or find somewhere that will fit your gun to you.
    +1 on BigTankers comment, I must fit or you will miss many birds. I will add that you should, if you haven’t already, determine your dominant eye. This is also critical for depth perception, distance to the bird. Good luck, great sport.

AdventureTeamJoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 10, 2018
    Indy Northside
    Many thanks for the replies. Am definitely leaning toward the budget route at this point. My only shotty is a Mossberg 930 SPX. May give it a go before looking at something else.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    +1 on Bigtankers comment on fitting.

CZ redhead Premier- topend of your budget.

Lower end the Stevens 555 and Stoeger Competition mentioned above are still capable. But if possible I would go and do a fitting.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    If you have a grand to spend, I'd hold out and try to locate a decent used O/U for what you want to do. Shoot your Mossberg in the meantime, while you wait. If you're a beginner who shoots all sports, you want a gun that fires two shots without having to shuck, and autos are a pain in the kiester for multiple-shot games because they throw your empties around, and you will be reloading if you stay with this sport much (ie, you want to stick your empties in a pouch, not be scrounging on the ground for them).

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    Skeet, sporting clays and trap all have different requirements for shotguns. If you want one shotgun that will do all three well, you are looking at a over/under or a semi-auto with removable choke tubes. A pump will work well for trap, but will be a little more challenging for skeet and sporting clays. My skills hold me back enough, so I didn’t need any additional “challenge” when I was shotgun shopping.

As Bigtanker said above, fit is the most important thing to take into consideration. I was in the same position as you and ended up buying a Beretta A300. I had no plans to get seriously competitive in any of the shooting sports, so I wanted one gun that would do it all well. The Beretta has performed flawlessly. Good luck in your search!

TxPhred

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Indiana Gun Club is where I've shot but haven't made inquiries in the pro shop. May do that next time I'm out.
    That’s a great first step. Also,don’t discount the semi-autos like Berettas with choke tubes. They are great guns you can hunt with and clays as well. I shoot an O/U but I like the semi’s too. Some even come with wedges to adjust cast and camber to fit you. The pro shop can help with all this and will prob have used guns as well.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    No real advice but several years ago my youngest son and I were new members of the Wildcat Valley rifle and pistol club. We were being shown around by a long time member and were looking at the skeet range.

The gentleman showing us the facilities had a very expensive Bernellie shotgun (as I recall) My son said well I doubt I could do very well, all I have is a Mossberg 500. The gun laughed and said "well I enjoy this shotgun but the guy that beat me is a member here and won the State Championship last year shoots a Mossberg 500".

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    No real advice but several years ago my youngest son and I were new members of the Wildcat Valley rifle and pistol club. We were being shown around by a long time member and were looking at the skeet range.

The gentleman showing us the facilities had a very expensive Bernellie shotgun (as I recall) My son said well I doubt I could do very well, all I have is a Mossberg 500. The gun laughed and said "well I enjoy this shotgun but the guy that beat me is a member here and won the State Championship last year shoots a Mossberg 500".

Yep.... it's the shooter, not the gun.

Hey, that reminds me of this old Beverly Hillbillies episode...

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    The market has really expanded for budget O/U clay guns.
    The bulk of them are being churned out of Turkey.
    Shotgun shells, however, seem to be the catch. The days of picking up 100 12 gauge target loads for 25 bucks seem to be a distant memory.
    I just ordered some mini shotshells for the first time cause really enjoy a round of clays now and then. Not sure how well they will do but this is what we have to work with.
    I agree with a trip to IGC as they do generally have a good selection of used shotguns. Heck you might find a "B" gun there for a little over your budget.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Lot's of advice here. I didn't pick up what type of clay's shooting you will be doing. If one in particular, then choosing a purpose built shotgun will be better.

If you are going to want to shoot the top 3 (sporting clays, Trap, Skeet), it becomes a little harder.

Next would be your recoil sensitivity. O/U were all the rage for a very long time. Now that the shotgunners are aging, more and more are moving to autoloaders. Where do fit in as far as recoil?

Here is what I would do:

I like Trap and would like to try Sporting Clays. I'm not a fan of skeet so that makes firearm selection easier since SC and Trap are closer in firearm selection than skeet is in my opinion.

So I would choose an autoloader. Budget; Franchi. Spend some money; most likely a Beretta. 12 gauge. I would only consider 20 gauge if I was shooting skeet exclusively.

All this being said, going to Indiana Gun Club and talking/trying out some to see if you can find a factory shotgun to fit decently is the way to go.

Top Bottom