• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Damnit... I forgot to drain or even stabil my tanks... Guess what I hope to do tomorrow.
    I tried to start mine a month or more ago. Pretty much knew what I had to do, but had been putting it off until this storm threat tonight.

I'm glad my fix was as easy as hoped. I watched a few youtubes on the subject that were helpful on draining the old fuel out.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    In my past life I was a Generac Factory Certified tech. I worked on all makes and models of generators. The number one thing you can do for a gasoline genny fuel supply is purchase ethanol free fuel... keep the genny empty until needed. Keep an air-tight drum (~20 gal) or more of ethanol free fuel stabilized on standby. Buy a cheap 12v transfer pump, strap the fuel drum to a 2 wheel dolly with a battery in a boat box on a tender.
    Another thing you can do if you don't keep a lot of fuel on hand... keep your vehicles full and have that transfer pump ready.
    Keep the genny empty and draw fuel as needed from a frequently run vehicle... always has fresh fuel in it.
    My genny is setup to back-feed the panel in the garage which in turn powers the whole house.
    Kill the main breaker, fire up the genny and carry on. Easy peasy. Know your load requirements and snuff anything that smokes major amps... In my case I can run my whole abode minus the central air. Sucks if its hot out but here most outages occur in winter/spring when its still below 80 degrees and humidity is minimal.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Another thing you can do if you don't keep a lot of fuel on hand... keep your vehicles full and have that transfer pump ready.

I'll slightly disagree with you on that single point.

Most modern vehicles have fill spouts with anti-siphon features that are annoying to defeat for use with an external pump. However, they also have fuel pressure test ports under the hood so you can simply let the pump in the tank pump the gas out under the hood for you. Just remove the valve on the test port (just a valve core exactly like what is used for tires), attach a hose, jump the fuel pump relay and off you go.

It sounds harder than it is, but anyone that can manage pretty much any other part of prepping can handle it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Most modern vehicles have fill spouts with anti-siphon features that are annoying to defeat for use with an external pump. However, they also have fuel pressure test ports under the hood so you can simply let the pump in the tank pump the gas out under the hood for you. Just remove the valve on the test port (just a valve core exactly like what is used for tires), attach a hose, jump the fuel pump relay and off you go.

It sounds harder than it is, but anyone that can manage pretty much any other part of prepping can handle it.
    Small point. Any GM rig the pump only runs a few seconds to prime and shuts off if you do not turn the key to start the rig.
    This is standard on every one I have ever owned with FI. Not sure about any other makes and this might be viable with them.

We have 2 Holley red pumps with long hoses and clamps on the wires. Battery's are common here. We "Try" and keep all the rigs well above half tank if possible.
    But we have well and enough fuel in reserve.
    The 3/8" fuel hose snakes into any of the tanks (caddy makes you hold your mouth just right ...:):) but its easy enough.

So many options.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Interesting. Wonder if there is some youtube videos demonstrating this on various vehicles?

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Small point. Any GM rig the pump only runs a few seconds to prime and shuts off if you do not turn the key to start the rig.
    This is standard on every one I have ever owned with FI.
    jump the fuel pump relay and off you go.

When I said that, I mean bypass the relay and apply power directly to the pump. On my ancient Fords there is actually a connector to do this under the hood. On GMs you have to pull the physical fuel pump relay and jump power across the socket. They also make switched dummy relays for that if you'd rather. Just unplug one, plug the other in, and turn it on.

I know I live in a world where just because I can't do something doesn't mean that no one can, but I haven't had any success getting a 3/8" hose into the fuel tank of any vehicle newer than about the late '80s. When I need the gas, I really don't want to fight over it. Just pop the hood and 2 minutes later I've got it.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Interesting. Wonder if there is some youtube videos demonstrating this on various vehicles?

There's at least one demonstrating it on an old Ford because I made one. I'll probably make another covering the entire spectrum (as well as I can with 20 year old vehicles anyhow) in the future.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I said that, I mean bypass the relay and apply power directly to the pump. On my ancient Fords there is actually a connector to do this under the hood. On GMs you have to pull the physical fuel pump relay and jump power across the socket. They also make switched dummy relays for that if you'd rather. Just unplug one, plug the other in, and turn it on.

I know I live in a world where just because I can't do something doesn't mean that no one can, but I haven't had any success getting a 3/8" hose into the fuel tank of any vehicle newer than about the late '80s. When I need the gas, I really don't want to fight over it. Just pop the hood and 2 minutes later I've got it.
    Learned something today but we have the pump/hose thing down to a science. And I never stole gas as a kid go figure.....:):

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Thank you for a solution I've been looking for for some time.

Links to those vids please.

We'll call this part 1. I didn't do it with emergency gas in mind, but that is how I've been handling it for at least 10 years now because it's so easy on my ancient Fords.

I started a second channel for some light prepping (most of you guys are wayyyy out there ahead of me) and such where I'll eventually get around to part 2. I'll share it on INGO when I do. I owe you guys the power outage equipment update too. I bought so much crap that I decided a video would be easier.

I'll try to make the next one less rambly too. :laugh:

Top Bottom