• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    I have noticed while practicing SA I am frequently given extra scrutiny by businesses and sometimes LEO. I guess looking around and paying attention also fits the behavior of some bad elements. I guess they think I am up to something. Other than the extra glances and monitoring I’ve never had any major problems. Worth the trade off in my opinion.
    Up to something? Sure. they just notice you're aware and not checked out like most buried in their smartphones. Yep, there's a fine line there too. Trying to remain SA and subtle can be challenging.

On a lighter note... and I know you don't do ANYTHING like this. Sorry, but your comments just reminded me of the scene in Galaxy Quest when Tim Allen; the ship captain, was doing tactical somersaults on the planet surface to get to cover...while Alan Rickman just walked casually beside him rolling his eyes!

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield

From the article: "He walked around, she didn't see him," LASD Det. Keegan McInnis told Eyewitness News. "By the time she looked up he had thrown the first punch. You see in the video the attack is pretty vicious. Then he calmly walks away as if nothing had happened."

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central

Most of us have heard this term, and I think we apply our own definitions to the term. Some may even call it having a sixth sense, or gut feeling, or just listening to your inner voice.

Personally, I believe all creatures, including humans are equipped with survival instincts, or the ability of self preservation, in order to live and survive. Flight or fight instincts.

My further belief, is that a large majority of people, either ignore these instincts, or choose to allow others to provide for their safety. IMO, I think as we have become more civilized, many have become more complacent in using these God given instincts in survival.

Can SA be learned? Not necessarily learned, as so much recognizing what it is, and paying attention to what your instincts are telling you to do. I believe these instincts can be nurtured.

A saying I read many years ago, and I have no recollection of where I read, but, "play the victim, and be the victim" Most people spend their entire day, and some, their entire lives, oblivious to the inherent dangers around them at all times. Take the time to spend a day around a large group of people, and just watch them for a period of time, to see what I'm talking about.

IMO, many people are simply lucky that they don't end being victims.

Discussion open!
    :pop:
    By definition, situational awareness isn`t any "sixth sense" sort of thing at all. It`s a trained, practiced awareness. It`s the discipline of doing the work of paying attention to details rather than being distracted by worries, ancillary thoughts and sometimes, just the mindless stumbling along that we all can do.

It`s a self-discipline, a willful determination to see things, everything if possible. To know who is around us, what they seem to be doing, and a quick assessment of whether anyone we can see might present any level of threat to us. As well as, might there be anything or anyone we do not see, that may present a threat to us. Some level of intuition can certainly play a part in our threat level, assessment, but that`s something completely different than situational awareness.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I try to go by the Jeff Cooper rules of red yellow orange and white. I do think most people walk about in white most of the time. No situational awareness at all. I usually start my day in orange but will adjust accordingly.
    Jeff Cooper is an excellent starting point. In martial arts they teach a black level. But that is past the point of no return. ie head is on curb moment.

situational awareness is becoming as common as “common sense”

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Jeff Cooper is an excellent starting point. In martial arts they teach a black level. But that is past the point of no return. ie head is on curb moment.

situational awareness is becoming as common as “common sense”
    I saw a couple walking down the street today on a stroll. Heads buried in the fracking phones. The "BOTH" fell off the same curb at the exact same time. Went down hard.
    Am I a bad person for audibly laughing at them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have seen them walk into the edge of an open door being help open for them and yet they fail to see. Bam, on the ground. And pissed at the kind person holding the door.
    This is a serious social issue. The addiction is at Meth levels as 70% of the population can not put the damned phone down.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I have seen them walk into the edge of an open door being help open for them and yet they fail to see. Bam, on the ground. And pissed at the kind person holding the door.
    This is a serious social issue. The addiction is at Meth levels as 70% of the population can not put the damned phone down.
    I wonder what will happen when the communication nets are taken down?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I saw a couple walking down the street today on a stroll. Heads buried in the fracking phones. The "BOTH" fell off the same curb at the exact same time. Went down hard.
    Probably, but most of us would have.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    No, but I would have thought we'd hear you laughing as you captured it on VIDEO while using your OWN phone...

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I saw a couple walking down the street today on a stroll. Heads buried in the fracking phones. They "BOTH" fell off the same curb at the exact same time. Went down hard.
    I've actually witnessed a few of those types of incidents, while not necessarily falling off a curb but rather walking into various things because of not paying attention to what they're doing because of being distracted by their stupid phones!
    Some cities have actually passed ordinances to prevent people from 'walking-n-talking' (or, specifically, reading or texting) on their cell phones at the same time as, apparently, they have walking into other individuals, into stationary objects, off of curbs (and fallen and became injured), stepped into the path of a moving vehicle, etc...and the cities are having to pass ordinances to prevent self-inflicted injuries that cost the cities, businesses, the individual(s) involved, and the insurance companies, monies that they are not wanting to see spent frivolously!
    Nowadays, we have to 'regulate' poor Johnny and little Susie against personal harm so as not to have their stupidity become the taxpayer's financial responsibility!
    Anymore, cell phones set one up for being a victim of crime...because many are too distracted by their stupid phones rather than paying attention to what's going on around them at all times! Situational awareness includes the concept of paying attention and actually being 'aware' of what's going on around them in one's current situation...believe it or not?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom