• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • William.blanks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2021
    Bloomington, Indiana
    You hear about it on the radio scanner apps. Otherwise, not big headlines in the news.

Kind of like Indy or Chicago. Bury the story deep, unless it involves someone you cannot escape stirring up social media with outrage.

Basically, if its thugs on thugs or methheads or homeless derelicts going after each other, it doesn't matter in the mind of the news. Bad press for the progressive leadership is bad for the local news.

I think Bloomington has quietly done their own version of social workers patrolling vs cops? Seems as if, especially on the weekends, that the "police" radio chatter often involves calling for law enforcement? Maybe the first sent or patrols aren't really cops?
    A lot of it is IUPD they can’t arrest but can hold someone until bpd or sheriff get there. And the recent shooting was college kids I think. It hit a few cars.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Northwest Indy area. I thought this was an interesting tidbit that I didn't expect.

Wife went out to look for paint this morning and was told at Porter paints on Michigan road that they had none of the higher quality paints only the very lowest. They were hoping to get some in after the start of the new year.

She then went up to Sherwin-Williams in zionsville and was told that they had none of the good quality exterior paint but they had some interior paints. Supplies were tight and they were hoping things would improve after the start of the new year.

I don't remember which store but she asked what the builders were doing and was told that they're using whatever they can get and usually is the lowest grade paints out there.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Several shootings have happened out here in the past month. I live in Monroe county and work in Bloomington. This town is getting bad but most can’t see it
    I moved away recently but Bloomington was definitely going downhill. I don't know if there was some kind of low-key drug war that broke out in the last few years or what, but there has been a lot more violence recently compared to what I remember from growing up.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    A lot of it is IUPD they can’t arrest but can hold someone until bpd or sheriff get there. And the recent shooting was college kids I think. It hit a few cars.
    Welcome to INGO William. Click the link below and introduce yourself to the group. Good bunch here.

William.blanks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2021
    Bloomington, Indiana
    I moved away recently but Bloomington was definitely going downhill. I don't know if there was some kind of low-key drug war that broke out in the last few years or what, but there has been a lot more violence recently compared to what I remember from growing up.
    Bloomington was made a sanctuary city. That’s part of it

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Northwest Indy area. I thought this was an interesting tidbit that I didn't expect.

Wife went out to look for paint this morning and was told at Porter paints on Michigan road that they had none of the higher quality paints only the very lowest. They were hoping to get some in after the start of the new year.

She then went up to Sherwin-Williams in zionsville and was told that they had none of the good quality exterior paint but they had some interior paints. Supplies were tight and they were hoping things would improve after the start of the new year.

I don't remember which store but she asked what the builders were doing and was told that they're using whatever they can get and usually is the lowest grade paints out there.

My understanding is even that paint is on allocation, the contractors are allocated based on previous purchases...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Standing in a 30 minute long line to pay yesterday at Btown Krogucci, I mentioned to the crowd as I always do that "This would be a good place for a grocery store!" They had two cashier lines open plus the self checkout lanes. LONG lines were stretching every which way. There were no baggers, even though the handicapped person that used to bag along with 3 or 4 management people were seen off and on looking like they were busy with other things?

Older dude behind me defended Kroger saying they had run adds and just cannot get employees. I mentioned that it was difficult to tell how much Kroger was really concerned about that vs having an excuse to not have to be concerned for customer satisfaction during the busy times. Everyone was putting up with the wait, no one parked their cart and headed out the door.

Old dude then said this was a sign of the times. I'm trying to stay out of running my mouth, but (oops) I said "everything was good year before last." Dude goes into a rant about Trump. I ended the conversation and turned my back on the guy, quickly reminding him of that at least we didn't have to put up with mean tweets, while waiting in long lines to pay nearly double for food and fuel.

Later, when I finally got to the checkout belt, I was stacking stuff and the guy was noting what I'd bought. He mentioned that he thought I was gonna have "one helluva deer camp." I had a dozen pounds of butter, 5 large cheese blocks, 6 quarts of heavy cream, 5 pounds bacon, 6 quarts of rubbing alcohol, a sale turkey, etc. Told the man that I was just shopping the sale items to stock up.

After saying I was stocking up, I might have started a bad rumor... :evilangel:

...Told the obnoxious nevertrumper that I had heard of possible food/fuel rationing coming soon. Wish I could have seen the guy's whole face through the mask, but his eyes looked pretty freaked out. He started rattling on about me hearing than on the Internet and I quickly told him that I was just teasing him. Not sure he believed that I was teasing??? Oops...

I helped bag and paid for the groceries. As I pushed the cart away, told the dude "No more mean tweets" :nono:

;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've been to two Krogers in the past two days and both were out of roast beef in the deli. The one near me has been out for over a week. Is there a roast beef shortage I didn't know about? They had plenty of ham, turkey, pastrami, and all the other deli meats, but no roast beef.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've been to two Krogers in the past two days and both were out of roast beef in the deli. The one near me has been out for over a week. Is there a roast beef shortage I didn't know about? They had plenty of ham, turkey, pastrami, and all the other deli meats, but no roast beef.
    I can't speak to your roast beef issue, but the Krogucci was out of kroger brand cream cheese. I talked to a blue shirt going into the back room doors that was kind of a dickhead to me. Acted really bothered to tell me that everything they had was on the shelf and put some emphasis on the fact that they got trucks in everyday, as if I should already know that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I can't speak to your roast beef issue, but the Krogucci was out of kroger brand cream cheese. I talked to a blue shirt going into the back room doors that was kind of a dickhead to me. Acted really bothered to tell me that everything they had was on the shelf and put some emphasis on the fact that they got trucks in everyday, as if I should already know that.
    To be fair, I have to wonder how much of that is actually under a store manager's control. I suspect that the decisions of how to allocate products is probably made much higher up. I mean when you go in the store early on the day that an ad takes effect, only to find a lot of the "sale" items aren't even in stock makes no sense. I've talked to some employees before (seems to happen in the meat department a lot) and they're just as frustrated as the customers. They've told me it happens a lot. Sometimes they never get the "sale" product in.

I worked in restaurants for 15 years. I know enough that you don't advertise salmon as your "catch of the day" when all you have back in the kitchen is catfish.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I’m noticing lots of empty gas station coolers for Coke products. No problem finding Pepsi, but Coke is conspicuously missing.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    To be fair, I have to wonder how much of that is actually under a store manager's control. I suspect that the decisions of how to allocate products is probably made much higher up. I mean when you go in the store early on the day that an ad takes effect, only to find a lot of the "sale" items aren't even in stock makes no sense. I've talked to some employees before (seems to happen in the meat department a lot) and they're just as frustrated as the customers. They've told me it happens a lot. Sometimes they never get the "sale" product in.

I worked in restaurants for 15 years. I know enough that you don't advertise salmon as your "catch of the day" when all you have back in the kitchen is catfish.

Kroger brand creamed cheese wasn't a sale item. It just often runs out at this location. They just can't seem to keep it on the shelf here. Often, it is a shelf stocking problem and there is more product back of the store. Not this time. Or maybe the employee who seemed as if I inconvenienced them just didn't want to go look?

I've grown skeptical of Kroger. Learned not to expect much in the way of service. They have the market cornered in this area, other than Walmart.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Kroger brand creamed cheese wasn't a sale item. It just often runs out at this location. They just can't seem to keep it on the shelf here. Often, it is a shelf stocking problem and there is more product back of the store. Not this time. Or maybe the employee who seemed as if I inconvenienced them just didn't want to go look?

I've grown skeptical of Kroger. Learned not to expect much in the way of service. They have the market cornered in this area, other than Walmart.
    I like ours, but it's one of the older ones in the area. Speaking of stocking, I miss the old days when they stocked shelves overnight. Nothing more irritating than not only having to fight the people that insist on bringing all 3 generations of their family with them to go to the grocery store but to also have to squeeze past the pallets of crap in the middle of the aisles too. Seems like nobody does it that way anymore though.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I like ours, but it's one of the older ones in the area. Speaking of stocking, I miss the old days when they stocked shelves overnight. Nothing more irritating than not only having to fight the people that insist on bringing all 3 generations of their family with them to go to the grocery store but to also have to squeeze past the pallets of crap in the middle of the aisles too. Seems like nobody does it that way anymore though.
    Dont get me started on that. Last year Walmart said "We are stopping 24 hour service and closing overnight. That way we can restock our shelves and disinfect and not be in the way to help social distancing ."

Guess what? 3 months later and they were back at it, rolling pallets of goods out into action alleys and restocking during the day.

So what are you doing overnight now? (saving money by not paying staff, most likely)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

There is no back room anymore. (Defined as a storage room.) JIT, pallets right of the truck, straight to the isle, employees will put on shelves when they can. BTW, if an employee says let me check in back they most likely are getting it off a truck or a pallet that hasn’t moved yet…

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There is no back room anymore. (Defined as a storage room.) JIT, pallets right of the truck, straight to the isle, employees will put on shelves when they can. BTW, if an employee says let me check in back they most likely are getting it off a truck or a pallet that hasn’t moved yet…
    I'm sure that's a lot of it too, but like I said, my particular Kroger is one of the older ones and they do indeed have a back room and storage area. Now having said that, I suspect it's being under-utilized and they're doing just what you said. I have always hated JIT inventory. When I worked for TGI Fridays we would "86" things all the time because of JIT. And it wasn't even like it was perishable goods either. No reason to ever be out of non-perishable items whatsoever. What costs more, keeping it in stock when you have plenty of storage space, or losing sales because you can't serve items on your menu because you're out of a simple ingredient?

Top Bottom