• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    As long as there is soap and water, toilet paper is optional in a shortage situation. I can always scrounge up enough rags . OK, maybe I'm a bit obsessive about the rags. I never throw away a t-shirt or a pair of underwear without salvaging the flat, unsewn pieces. They are in a couple of ziploc bags under my kitchen sink.

looper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2019
    NWI
    As long as there is soap and water, toilet paper is optional in a shortage situation. I can always scrounge up enough rags . OK, maybe I'm a bit obsessive about the rags. I never throw away a t-shirt or a pair of underwear without salvaging the flat, unsewn pieces. They are in a couple of ziploc bags under my kitchen sink.
    ABLE PAPER & JANITORIAL SUPPLY in Merrillville has tons of TP and all the cleaning and disinfectants you need. They do have a facebook page they put updates but I havent been on in a while, easier to just call or stop in.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Bread is becoming strangely limited around me.

Can't find the brand and type we normally buy, and the gas stations locally have had trouble getting any bread.
    Very bizarre.
    Also noticing a lot of shelves being labeled with quantity limitations. TP is starting to thin out again.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    ABLE PAPER & JANITORIAL SUPPLY in Merrillville has tons of TP and all the cleaning and disinfectants you need. They do have a facebook page they put updates but I havent been on in a while, easier to just call or stop in.
    I'm fixed pretty well for TP right now, thanks. I did go over to Able during the last shortage just to see what they had. Seems like they were out of TP and Lysol at the time, but I know the best time to buy is before the shortage.

When Lysol spray was not available, I bought a half-gallon jug of concentrated commercial disinfectant through Walmart for like $30. It will make 64 bottles of spray at one ounce per spray bottle of water.

For general cleaner, next time I need some, I will probably just pick up a gallon of either Simple Green or Fabuloso, depending on where I am and how much I want to spend. They are both pretty much all-purpose except for dishes.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Bread is becoming strangely limited around me.

Can't find the brand and type we normally buy, and the gas stations locally have had trouble getting any bread.
    Very bizarre.
    Also noticing a lot of shelves being labeled with quantity limitations. TP is starting to thin out again.
    We've ordered flour and yeast, and many other items direct from Bob's Red Mill. Very good quality products for baking that the larger chain stores don't often carry much of. If they're low on stock, they'll notify and ship later and charge you then.

Bread recipes are on the Artisan flour bag. Their pastry flour is good for butter pie crusts. Whole wheat flour a bit heavy for banana and persimmon breads, etc. They have pancake, cookie, granola, lots of products, many gluten free.

Edit:. Can also freeze all their products including the yeast.

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    We've ordered flour and yeast, and many other items direct from Bob's Red Mill. Very good quality products for baking that the larger chain stores don't often carry much of. If they're low on stock, they'll notify and ship later and charge you then.

Bread recipes are on the Artisan flour bag. Their pastry flour is good for butter pie crusts. Whole wheat flour a bit heavy for banana and persimmon breads, etc. They have pancake, cookie, granola, lots of products, many gluten free.

Edit:. Can also freeze all their products including the yeast.
    Yep, I've still got two bags of flour in the freezer from the last go-round.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    LOL - like we have any room in the freezer!
    And with deer season approaching, gonna have to make some, but garden produce is making that tough. We have literally gallons of shredded zucchini and sweet corn competing with the frozen blackberries and blueberries for space.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    And with deer season approaching, gonna have to make some, but garden produce is making that tough. We have literally gallons of shredded zucchini and sweet corn competing with the frozen blackberries and blueberries for space.
    Sounds similar to our situation. Good thing we have been caning alot this year!

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Good problem blessing to have. Congrats.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Having the same issue. Rural King and others had those cheapo "cause it's from China!" 7 cf freezers for $200, now upwards of $280. Figure if one goes bad, there may be room in the others, plus have a spare one still in a box. That's if you have the extra room in a home or garage

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

Make wine out of the fruit, requires no refrigeration. ;)

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Meijer in Plainfield: limiting all pickle purchases to two jars per variety. Pickle shortage?? Also (you may want to sit down) very little bacon available.

William.blanks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2021
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Monroe County. Not a lot to report out here in the sticks, yet...

Daughter says the Bloomington restaurant she works at was terribly slow yesterday lunch. She somehow was able to bail on the dinner shift that she would normally have worked also.
    Several shootings have happened out here in the past month. I live in Monroe county and work in Bloomington. This town is getting bad but most can’t see it

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Several shootings have happened out here in the past month. I live in Monroe county and work in Bloomington. This town is getting bad but most can’t see it

You hear about it on the radio scanner apps. Otherwise, not big headlines in the news.

Kind of like Indy or Chicago. Bury the story deep, unless it involves someone you cannot escape stirring up social media with outrage.

Basically, if its thugs on thugs or methheads or homeless derelicts going after each other, it doesn't matter in the mind of the news. Bad press for the progressive leadership is bad for the local news.

I think Bloomington has quietly done their own version of social workers patrolling vs cops? Seems as if, especially on the weekends, that the "police" radio chatter often involves calling for law enforcement? Maybe the first sent or patrols aren't really cops?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom