Single action revolver notches and lands.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Taeverling

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Swayzee indiana
    Hello all. I was wondering if anyone had experience with deepening and lengthening the notches and lands on a single action? Wanting to do so for faster and better running for fast draw.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Before I did anything to the cylinder notches I would try a new or stronger spring. The leaf spring that controls the bolt and trigger return has always been a weak point in the SAA design.

Taeverling

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Swayzee indiana
    Before I did anything to the cylinder notches I would try a new or stronger spring. The leaf spring that controls the bolt and trigger return has always been a weak point in the SAA design.
    I can see where that would be needed. I know the bolt will need modified a Good bit. The gun is brand new. Suppose the spring will be good enough as is?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I can see where that would be needed. I know the bolt will need modified a Good bit. The gun is brand new. Suppose the spring will be good enough as is?
    I know people who replace that spring straight away when they buy a new Italian clone, but those are CA shooters. Wolff makes some good options for this. Myself I don't shoot that fast so replacement is usually limited to the revolver going off time.

Taeverling

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Swayzee indiana
    I know people who replace that spring straight away when they buy a new Italian clone, but those are CA shooters. Wolff makes some good options for this. Myself I don't shoot that fast so replacement is usually limited to the revolver going off time.
    I'll give wolf's a look in that case. I know already I'll get into it deeper and end up replacing all springs like you said.
    I'm not looking to be anything crazy fast. I mainly want it built for it so i can run it without having to worry about ruining it from practice.

Taeverling

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Swayzee indiana
    Have it all polished and new springs fitted and put in. Runs extremely smooth but definitely needs the lands and notches deeper now. These shallow ones work for light use perfectly but would not want to push it.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    I have an 1851, if you hand looks like this one:

1687132958805.png

That spring is horrible. If you dont want to drill and tap the frame to replace with a ruger style coil spring, i replaced mine with a section of bobby pin, cut to length and shaped after I took the plastic off. So far its lasted over 10 years, MUCH better spring steel than the factory provides.

Top Bottom