• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Now I do like that Spaghetti Western rig, but again north of 400 bucks, I just can’t get past that. But to each his own.

I'm finding that a "fast draw drop holster Hollywood" type rig can be found for for much less...and this is a little trip down memory lane for me.

High quality leather work is a different thing.

It's like the difference in Western boots that have pegged soles and leather stacked heels and those that don't. Both work....just depends on what one wants.

One can be maintained and worked much longer though.

Better half and I have a little running joke about a certain pair of boots I've had for a while...LOL

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    I was looking at getting a revolver and lever gun in .44Mag. Wanted the revolver as a woods gun against dangerous game. Ended up finding a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt. I am interested in getting the a Ruger lever gun when they put it out in 45 Colt. The complication is that I run Ruger only loads in the Blackhawk as SD loads for dangerous game. I wouldn't want to run that load in the lever gun. So now I will face the issue of one caliber and two different loads.

My plan to eliminate the possibility of putting the heavy load in the lever gun, is not to carry spare heavy loads in the field.

Regardless of the potential load issue, I like the Blackhawk.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I'm finding that a "fast draw drop holster Hollywood" type rig can be found for for much less...and this is a little trip down memory lane for me.

High quality leather work is a different thing.

It's like the difference in Western boots that have pegged soles and leather stacked heels and those that don't. Both work....just depends on what one wants.

One can be maintained and worked much longer though.

Better half and I have a little running joke about a certain pair of boots I've had for a while...LOL
    Similar, my old Double H wellingtons, I don’t leave home without’em. She’s ashamed to be seen with me in’em. But for some reason she keeps me.

I’ll brake down one of these days and spring for a good holster, just have to catch the fever. Almost did once, I’ve still got the quick links to the ones/websites I like.
    :thumbsup:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Similar, my old Double H wellingtons, I don’t leave home without’em. She’s ashamed to be seen with me in’em. But for some reason she keeps me.

I’ll brake down one of these days and spring for a good holster, just have to catch the fever. Almost did once, I’ve still got the quick links to the ones/websites I like.
    :thumbsup:
    Yep...know what you mean!

Reactions: Mij

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    Do you have experience with them? Their work looks to be high quality.
    I have one of their 1930 "Austin" holsters for my Les Baer....my BBQ rig if you will.

Extremely well made, think old world craftsmanship. Heavy and stiff where it needs to be, should last forever.

It all goes back to the "buy once, cry once" philosophy. I used to have numerous redundant firearms and lots I didn't shoot. Now I think more along the lines of "best tools for individual jobs" or "best example of it's type".

Last edited:

Lloyd S.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    My wife and I have been shooting cowboy action for over 25 years (hence my avatar) and we share a pair of Vaqueros. Never had any issues with them. These are the original design, basically a Blackhawk with iron sights. The new Vaqueros are a little lighter and smaller frame. Size is closer to a SAA now. The older model can take much hotter loads, like the Blackhawk, which is moot since I almost exclusively shoot light cowboy loads. We shoot 45 Colt because I always wanted a SA revolver in 45 Colt. Our lever actions are a Marlin Cowboy 24" octagon and a Rossi 1892 carbine.

Any of your choices should be fine. I just know that either iteration of the Vaquero is sturdy and will give years of service.

E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    I will vouch for the Uberti made SA clones. I shot Cowboy Action for 7 years with a pair of Uberti Cattlemen (case color hardened and brass frames). They are still going strong with after over 4,000 rounds. Those were lighter Cowboy action loads but not the mouse fart loads some use.

The Ruger Vaqueros and Blackhawks are outstanding pistols. If I were to run hot loads I would definitely go with the Rugers.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I have an old Vaquero in 45LC and really like it.

One thing to note is the commercial "Cowboy Loads" are very, very much lighter. I bought some by mistake once - never again.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    My large frame Vaquero 45 Colt and 'carry rig'. :)

Q8367lx.jpg

Top Bottom