• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I have found myself "casually" kicking around the idea of a SAA style handgun.

The honest reason is I've wanted a "cowboy gun" since I was about 5yo. Even after all these years, I have never picked one up. Other things came up.

Now I'm back to casually kicking the idea of one around. More a "fun piece" than anything else. It would likely get used as a range toy, a plinker, and occassional carry in a western gun belt rig.

While Colts are out there, I'm not sure I can justify the price for what is essentially a "fun gun", so I've also been looking at alternatives.

Do any of you folks in the know have thoughts / comments/ opinions on things like:

Uberti
    Cimmeron
    Vaquero
    Others

Something closer to the original is preferred....mostly for sentimental reasons.

Like I said, just kicking it around.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Before further comment, question: have you decided on caliber?

Reason asked, my reason for getting one is similar. Wanted the "cowboy combo" of lever gun and revolver since as far as my memory goes. Took me 30 years but I finally got it. My first pairing was/is a Ruger Blackhawk and Rossi 20" both in .357. Having the matching pair is the bees pajamas.

I've always been a fan of the Lipsey Vaquero. So there's my vote.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Leaning towards 45 Colt.

I'm keeping the door open to a same caliber rifle. Thinking about a Winchester 1873, but going 44-40 would reduce the alternatives for the handgun.

45 seems like it would lend some measure of "authenticity" while keeping it easy.....and I believe I can get a Winchester in 45 Colt (which could serve some deer duty....see how I rationalize? LOL!)

Last edited:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Leaning towards 45 Colt.

I'm keeping the door open to a same caliber rifle. Thinking about a Winchester 1873, but going 44-40 would reduce the alternatives for the handgun.

45 seems like it would lend some measure of "authenticity" while keeping it easy.....and I believe I can get a Winchester in 45 Colt (which could serve some deer duty....see how I rarionalize? LOL!)

The theory is sound. I can dig it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Most current Italian clones are made by Uberti, are authentic looking and will serve you well in any caliber. The 44-40 was second only to the 45 Colt in popularity in the SAA, but old Winchesters are never in 45 Colt because of issues with the old rim size. Not an issue today as the rim is larger and if you hunt around you can find a modern Winchester 1892 in 45 Colt, but Uberti also makes their 1873 copies in 45 Colt. They are also fine rifles.

Old Colts and old Winchesters, love them and have several. Both are expensive and the old Colts have very heavy hammer springs, a reflection of how primers have changed. You are buying history with these guns.

Best of luck.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Most current Italian clones are made by Uberti, are authentic looking and will serve you well in any caliber. The 44-40 was second only to the 45 Colt in popularity in the SAA, but old Winchesters are never in 45 Colt because of issues with the old rim size. Not an issue today as the rim is larger and if you hunt around you can find a modern Winchester 1892 in 45 Colt, but Uberti also makes their 1873 copies in 45 Colt. They are also fine rifles.

Old Colts and old Winchesters, love them and have several. Both are expensive and the old Colts have very heavy hammer springs, a reflection of how primers have changed. You are buying history with these guns.

Best of luck.

Thank you, Sir.

How can I be confident you know what you're talking about?

That's a joke, I say a joke!

I always appreciate your pieces on firearms....a visit with you on firearms history would be a day well spent.....well, at least for me!

I do make a decent pork butt...just sayin'

LOL!

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany

Reason asked, my reason for getting one is similar. Wanted the "cowboy combo" of lever gun and revolver since as far as my memory goes. Took me 30 years but I finally got it. My first pairing was/is a Ruger Blackhawk and Rossi 20" both in .357. Having the matching pair is the bees pajamas.

I've always been a fan of the Lipsey Vaquero. So there's my vote.
    That's what I want, a .357 lever gun to go with my .357 revolver.....seems like the stars never align for me to get the rifle.....dang it OP, Uberti makes some very good guns..I think all on your list would fit the bill......we all want to act out our inner cowboy.....
    "Curse you Black Bart"!!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have found myself "casually" kicking around the idea of a SAA style handgun.

The honest reason is I've wanted a "cowboy gun" since I was about 5yo. Even after all these years, I have never picked one up. Other things came up.

Now I'm back to casually kicking the idea of one around. More a "fun piece" than anything else. It would likely get used as a range toy, a plinker, and occassional carry in a western gun belt rig.

While Colts are out there, I'm not sure I can justify the price for what is essentially a "fun gun", so I've also been looking at alternatives.

Do any of you folks in the know have thoughts / comments/ opinions on things like:

Uberti
    Cimmeron
    Vaquero
    Others

Something closer to the original is preferred....mostly for sentimental reasons.

Like I said, just kicking it around.
    My son bought a beautiful Ruger Vaquero 45colt. I never thought I'd want one, but after shooting his I can definitely say they are fun. They are accurate and hard hitting with a 250gr bullet at around 1000fps.
    My son has two Henry's in 45colt and 44mag.
    He carries his Vaquero and he's very good with it. He's using Hornady Leverevolution ammunition.
    20200702_215520.jpg

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I do enjoy black powder revolvers.

View attachment 218221
    A buddy and I stumbled upon this shop up near Anderson I think. It was a hunting bait style shop that sold black powder guns and deer hunting air rifles etc.

He had the model I pictured above. It wasn't the best price I had seen but I was on the fence to buy or not. He told me this story about how many years ago he was involved in a straw purchase for people from Ohio. He got raided and sent to prison for like 10 years. I just really didn't feel comfortable dealing with him so we left. I've not seen that pistol since.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    A buddy and I stumbled upon this shop up near Anderson I think. It was a hunting bait style shop that sold black powder guns and deer hunting air rifles etc.

He had the model I pictured above. It wasn't the best price I had seen but I was on the fence to buy or not. He told me this story about how many years ago he was involved in a straw purchase for people from Ohio. He got raided and sent to prison for like 10 years. I just really didn't feel comfortable dealing with him so we left. I've not seen that pistol since.
    Sounds like Ludco guns in Parker City. If thats the store Fred Ludington did a wee bit more than that. He was missing almost a thousand firearms for starters.
    Hes a convicted felon with doing about 10 years of Federal time.

drm-hp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I personally like the Ruger Blackhawk, have had several in 45 lc. This is actually a very versatile cartridge in this gun. You can plink with it or belch fire and lead hotter than a 44 Magnum could think about!
    Also, as far as the cartridge is concerned the classics were:
    Soldiers = 45 lc
    Cowboys = 44-40
    The cowboys paired the revolver with a Winchester lever rifle in the same clambering.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have kicked around having one also. I won't ever do cowboy action shooting but I thought it would be neat to have a SA and a matching lever action.

I'd probably go .357 since I already have a revolver in that caliber and I'm into minimizing calibers.

But if it wasn't for that, I'd go 45.

I have always favored Smiths for DA revolvers and Ruger for SA stuff. No real quantifiable reason, just what I like.

BUT...I would seriously look at the Uberti offerings. They are just so cool looking! How is their quality? Fit and finish? That Cattleman II looks mighty fine!

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    My wife and I have been shooting cowboy action for over 25 years (hence my avatar) and we share a pair of Vaqueros. Never had any issues with them. These are the original design, basically a Blackhawk with iron sights. The new Vaqueros are a little lighter and smaller frame. Size is closer to a SAA now. The older model can take much hotter loads, like the Blackhawk, which is moot since I almost exclusively shoot light cowboy loads. We shoot 45 Colt because I always wanted a SA revolver in 45 Colt. Our lever actions are a Marlin Cowboy 24" octagon and a Rossi 1892 carbine.

Any of your choices should be fine. I just know that either iteration of the Vaquero is sturdy and will give years of service.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Inherited a Vaquero in 45 Colt & it pretty much stays in the Safe.
    I also wanted a 45 Colt SAA-type revolver for plinkin & wouldn't give up an extra $1000+ for the "Dancin Pony"
    I decided on this Cimmaron & thoroughly enjoy shooting it.
    With the 4" Bbl, I run "light loads" thru it.
    Now looking for a Nice Western Holster Rig just for Show (No Quick Draw nonsense, lol)
    1660737776352.jpeg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom