• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Always been interesting to me that alot of people are willing to buy a new dryer because they are replacing the washing machine. I guess I understand if having a (somewhat) matched set is a requirement, but seems to just increase the purchase if the dryer is doing fine and the washer is the problem (or even vice versa).

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Always been interesting to me that alot of people are willing to buy a new dryer because they are replacing the washing machine. I guess I understand if having a (somewhat) matched set is a requirement, but seems to just increase the purchase if the dryer is doing fine and the washer is the problem (or even vice versa).
    I think it’s a woman-thing. It is with my wife. She likes for them to match. :rolleyes: We don’t always do it but we did when we bought our last set. Happy wife, happy life (and she complains less when I need a new gun when I’ve already got perfectly good ones already.)

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    Does anybody have a recommendation for a local Thermador fridge/freezer repair company?

My go to appliance repair guy has retired.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I think it’s a woman-thing. It is with my wife. She likes for them to match. :rolleyes: We don’t always do it but we did when we bought our last set. Happy wife, happy life (and she complains less when I need a new gun when I’ve already got perfectly good ones already.)
    They’ll match before to long, having them in the garage isn’t exactly great for keeping them clean with all the stuff I do in the garage.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I have been reading this appliance thread, and chuckling to myself, knowing that others have had situations with new appliances. Bought a new Whirlpool washer in Mar 2022 from local store... 4 months later, washer leaks over the top of the tub, local store is now out of business. Contact Whirlpool for warranty.....what a joke... after 6 phone calls, (being cut off 2x) and 6 hours, we are told that they have no one to service it in our area. Contacted other appliance repair establishments, they won't touch it under warranty, seems they have to jump through too many hoops with Whirlpool. We offered to pay the going rate despite it being in warranty, no go. So, we continue using it with a leak, when the warranty runs out in Mar, will contact a couple of repair establishments and see if we can get it repaired with us bearing the cost..... I imagine it is probably the motherboard....some things you can't win without having a big hassle.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    It’s not a terribly fiscally sound reason but I’ve found it better to just buy the one my wife wants. :)

Yeah, when our washing machine went out I was surprised to find that we were "required" to replace the dryer at the same time. Something about them having to match.

Speaking of budget appliances they sometimes have hidden costs. Particularly if the "mother"board is involved.

TrailerPark.jpg

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Roughly the same time that this thread was created, our 23 yr old GE microwave took a dump while making bacon (mmmm bacon). Spent the rest of the day shopping for a replacement. Guess what, the STANDARD size the yr we built our home is no longer a STANDARD size. Now our cabinet will have an ill-fitting unit, barely filling the old opening...yea.

Reactions: Leo

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have been reading this appliance thread, and chuckling to myself, knowing that others have had situations with new appliances. Bought a new Whirlpool washer in Mar 2022 from local store... 4 months later, washer leaks over the top of the tub, local store is now out of business. Contact Whirlpool for warranty.....what a joke... after 6 phone calls, (being cut off 2x) and 6 hours, we are told that they have no one to service it in our area. Contacted other appliance repair establishments, they won't touch it under warranty, seems they have to jump through too many hoops with Whirlpool. We offered to pay the going rate despite it being in warranty, no go. So, we continue using it with a leak, when the warranty runs out in Mar, will contact a couple of repair establishments and see if we can get it repaired with us bearing the cost..... I imagine it is probably the motherboard....some things you can't win without having a big hassle.
    That's insane. I almost can't believe you cannot get someone to repair it if you are paying out of pocket.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Roughly the same time that this thread was created, our 23 yr old GE microwave took a dump while making bacon (mmmm bacon). Spent the rest of the day shopping for a replacement. Guess what, the STANDARD size the yr we built our home is no longer a STANDARD size. Now our cabinet will have an ill-fitting unit, barely filling the old opening...yea.
    Same size issue here as well. Bet you have what was called Spacemaker. New ones are all 2-3 inches farther out and 4-6 down over the burners. In new homes they made the cabinets shorter and maybe even a little deeper.

Are you saying the new ones are too big or too small? After rereading your post…

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel

Have you already bought one?1

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Same size issue here as well. Bet you have what was called Spacemaker. New ones are all 2-3 inches farther out and 4-6 down over the burners. In new homes they made the cabinets shorter and maybe even a little deeper.

Are you saying the new ones are too big or too small? After rereading your post…
    Over the range for the win! Same size today as my house built in '02 and '97...

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center

My wife spent a few hours online comparing and trying to find one that would fit. She only found a handful of options that filled the opening. Most of the choices available (in stock) were either a few inches too big in 1 or more dimension, or a few inches too small. I guess I'm complaining about a lack of an industry standard size, or a lack of consistency in that standard. Or maybe I'm just upset this whole escapade made me wait to get bacon that morning.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Have you already bought one?1
    Yes we did. She found 1.... ONE, that was the correct size and was in stock. It arrived yesterday. When trying to install it, the NEW STYLE plug was about 1.5 millimeters bigger than the existing one so to run the plug to the outlet I had to cut a bigger opening (yes, the outlet should have been right behind it but THAT was a miscommunication between the electrician and the cabinet maker 23 yrs ago)

Top Bottom