Silver Krugerrands/Austrian Phil, Perth Roos etc versus Walking Libs and Buffs...is it worth the extra $$

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Short answer IMHO: no.

Unless you are collecting for numismatic value, or really like the design.
    For exchange/barter/store of value/SHTF, junk silver or plain rounds/bars (as long as content is labeled) have smaller premiums, giving you more metal for the money.
    Resale to a local or online dealer may preserve some of that premium (though the cash you receive will be further debased), but trade to SHTF survivors will probably not.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Short answer IMHO: maybe.

I think except for the extreme SHTF scenario, sovereign coins have an edge in value over generic rounds and bars. Often the difference can be minimal. Right now at Provident a new generic round can be had for $32.91. Phills, Britannias and Kangaroos are $33.55-$33.96. When I can get a .9999 sovereign round for $1.00 or less above a generic round I go that way. This gap has narrowed with the current higher premiums.

But I do agree with spencer rifle for the most part. I won't pass up common bars and rounds if they are significantly cheaper. Constitutional silver (junk silver) has gone up lately as well. $100 face of circulated Quarters is currently $35.97/oz. I remember not too long ago getting some from Provident slightly below spot.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Depends how much extra. Precious metals from sovereign mints are recognizable and may be more readily accepted than generic rounds (unless maybe the rounds are from a well known minting company). Otherwise, some may doubt what kind/purity of metal that round actually is. I think a smallish premium for actual coins can be worth it for the increased recognition and thus liquidity. But like anything, it's "how much" of a premium, how much of an issue one thinks it might be, etc. You pays your money and takes your chances. Premiums on American Eagles right now are nuts.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Premiums on American Eagles right now are nuts.
    Agreed! I posted this in the other thread yesterday showing the differences even between sovereign coins:

American Eagle, type 2 - 2044.25
    American Eagle, type 1 - 2134.25
    Canadian Maple Leaf - 2024.25
    Britannia - 1994.25
    Australian Kangaroo - 1994.25
    American Buffalo - 2074.25
    Krugerand - 2014.25
    Austrian Philharmonic - 2004.25

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    If people who don't know much about PMs would question a content-labeled round or bar as possibly counterfeit, why wouldn't they do the same for Eagles or other sovereign mint products? A few have anti-counterfeit measures, but many don't and inexperienced people wouldn't know to look for them anyway.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    If people who don't know much about PMs would question a content-labeled round or bar as possibly counterfeit, why wouldn't they do the same for Eagles or other sovereign mint products? A few have anti-counterfeit measures, but many don't and inexperienced people wouldn't know to look for them anyway.
    I suspect many people would be more inclined to accept something recognizable as an American coin over a round....junk silver seems ( to me ) to be the best, most easily accepted medium of exchange...dealers and people who dabble in precious metals are a different story

Top Bottom