• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    This is likely familiar to you with your background, but I'd encourage you to research epigenetics. Specifically, as it relates to this thread, the epigenetic "theory" (inappropriately used, but that's how it's referred to) of homosexuality.
    I have friends who have Doctorates in Counseling and Psychology, which is where I get a portion of my knowledge and understanding from, and this 'theory' explains how one's environment, actually their experiences, can help to shape their pattern of thinking, or how they respond behavior-wise, to their environment...all going back to that concept of 'trauma' in their youth!
    The good news is that, with proper counseling and a re-alignment or re-establishment of their true thought processes, their maligned way of thinking, or developed patterns of behavior, can be reversed and realigned, or set back to 'normal', as God would have had it from the get-go!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I have friends who have Doctorates in Counseling and Psychology, which is where I get a portion of my knowledge and understanding from, and this 'theory' explains how one's environment, actually their experiences, can help to shape their pattern of thinking, or how they respond behavior-wise, to their environment...all going back to that concept of 'trauma' in their youth!
    The good news is that, with proper counseling and a re-alignment or re-establishment of their true thought processes, their maligned way of thinking, or developed patterns of behavior, can be reversed and realigned, or set back to 'normal', as God would have had it from the get-go!
    Next time you talk to your doctor friends, ask them if this counseling works on animals that display homosexual behavior in the wild.

Not sure where your doctors got their degrees, but diagnosing homosexuality as some sort of disorder needing treatment fell out of favor in the psychology field decades ago.

Advanced degrees do not necessarily lend credibility. I mean, Obama was a constitutional law professor, so...

:):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Dude. You are seriously suggesting therapy as a cure for homosexuality? :n00b:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Next time you talk to your doctor friends, ask them if this counseling works on animals that display homosexual behavior in the wild.

Not sure where your doctors got their degrees, but diagnosing homosexuality as some sort of disorder needing treatment fell out of favor in the psychology field decades ago.

Advanced degrees do not necessarily lend credibility. I mean, Obama was a constitutional law professor, so...

:):
    Probably they got their training from religious institutions that mixed in religion/ideology in with the the coursework. This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but universities that infuse religion/ideology with science like that should not be accredited. Ideology does not belong in STEM, period. It’s no better than infusing wokeness into STEM.

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    TLDR. While I agree that only one flag should ever fly at our embassies, religion should also never be used for the basis of any US policy.

There are just as many (maybe more) geneticists, psychologists and psychiatrists who believe that ones preference is not a choice. If so, explain why humans aren't the only animals that have same gender relations.

I am not going to argue with one's religious beliefs as it will never change anyone's mind just as I won't change mine.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Absolutely! As a former high school biology and health teacher, and I got stuck teaching 'sex-ed' in GA for 2 years, there is no 'gay-gene' present on the chromosomes list...so you're not 'born' with it...it does not a biologically manifested cause!
    If, however, one looks at traumatic incidents in a person's life, and often times they occur during childhood or the early teen years, there are key characteristics of incident(s) that can sway an individual's emotional and psychological thought processes towards that lifestyle...at which point they choose to participate in those types of activities.
    They then tend to bury or repress the memory of the incident or causation and move forward in a different direction in life, in an attempt to avoid the pain of the reality of it! Sad, really...
    Actually evidence seems to indicate that it is both, biologic and environmental. In a study of identical twins seperated at birth and raised apart. Where one twin was gay, the other twin had a very disproportionate percentage of also identifying as gay. IIRC if one twin was gay the chance of the other twin being gay was somewhere around 50%, if it was strictly biological that number would be at least approaching 100% if there was no biological factor it would be in the single digits. There is also studies that have shown that males with older male siblings are more likely to be gay rather than first born males. Which could be due to biologic or environmental factors or quite possibly both.

In other words, studies seem to indicate while someone may not be born gay. There are biological factors that would influence it along with environmental factors.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Born or choice?

From a theological standpoint, I contend the question is moot. (and a detrimental distraction)
    Au contraire...the entire question is only moot outside of theology. It is theology that requires that it be a "choice" in order for it to be appropriately sick, sad and disgusting.

What reasonable justification can be made for the disgust and hatred that some view homosexual people with, outside of the backing by their god and commensurate world view? I think that most reasonable people would agree that someone who hates a person for a characteristic that they are born with would be an unmitigated *******. Even religious text cherry-pickers are self-aware enough to realize that fact, hence the religious mulligan.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Au contraire...the entire question is only moot outside of theology. It is theology that requires that it be a "choice" in order for it to be appropriately sick, sad and disgusting.

What reasonable justification can be made for the disgust and hatred that some view homosexual people with, outside of the backing by their god and commensurate world view? I think that most reasonable people would agree that someone who hates a person for a characteristic that they are born with would be an unmitigated *******. Even religious text cherry-pickers are self-aware enough to realize that fact, hence the religious mulligan.
    The tone of your post is certainly not lost on me, but I'll response in a straight-forward manner. ;)

No, I contend Christian theology doesn't require it.

Sin is "sick, sad and disgusting" in the eyes of a pure and sinless God, regardless the origins. As a Calvinist, I believe that everyone is born with original sin.

But you're right, if you can make it a choice, then you can tell someone, "First you have to change your choice - which you can freely do if you just really want to - then we can have a good Christian relationship. Till then, stay six feet away."

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    That's not what epigenetics is. The theory I referred to discusses a literal change in DNA expression based on a variety of factors, some external and some internal, but the bottom line is it creates a physiological change. No amount of therapy will change that anymore than it would change a cancer diagnosis.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The tone of your post is certainly not lost on me, but I'll response in a straight-forward manner. ;)

No, I contend Christian theology doesn't require it.

Sin is "sick, sad and disgusting" in the eyes of a pure and sinless God, regardless the origins. As a Calvinist, I believe that everyone is born with original sin.

But you're right, if you can make it a choice, then you can tell someone, "First you have to change your choice - which you can freely do if you just really want to - then we can have a good Christian relationship. Till then, stay six feet away."
    I didn't turn my tone detector on. It was sharply worded. I think the message is pretty true though.

And oh, jeez. A Calvinist. Okay. There's no use in talking about it further.

Top Bottom