SHTF rifle iron sights. Magpul mbus gen 2 durability? Bobro lowriders?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    That's what I'm going to go with too.

They also look really awesome, but I swear that totally didn't have any impact on my decision. It's all ruggedness and practicality, no way anything on my guns is for aesthetic purposes.

Plus I really want to get a lot better with irons just in case, so I'm going to probably take a few classes running just irons or at least leaving the dot off.

I might replace the rear with a folding sight when the peak 2s come out but I don't know yet.
    I like the clicks being set up for 15” sight radius. As this is a short range build, no problem getting an excellent zero for 0-200y. Light, strong, and look good. I cried once.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    It's an extra 1/2 oz but I would go with the MBUS Pros myself (at least according to Amazon) , I tend to agree with your school of thinking. Not a fan of any plastic sights on any guns period , including pistol RDS if it has a polymer frame I don't even look at it.
    Amen! Pretty much the same...metal sights only!
    On my AR pistol, I went with Daniel Defense fixed sights...and put a tritium front sight on the front post from XS Sights...absolutely LOVE it!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I must disagree here. The A1 style carry handle upper and an A1 style FSB are the pinnacle of lightweight SHTF perfectness.
    Nothing beats the durability a taper pinned FSB gives you. Yes I realize that means using the old school method of using the carry handle hole (and having it higher) for your red dot.

A compromise might be an A1 style F marked front FSB and using something like a Daniel Defense A1.5 Fixed Rear Sight Assembly.
    Or just the rear MBUS.
    We use A1 fronts and when back up rears are warranted we use steel adjustable yardage,

MaTech Mil-Spec Back-up Iron Sight (B.U.I.S)​

cp1149

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2022
    Bargersville
    I'm a big fan of running fold down rear and fixed front for my SHTF rifle. It provides quick and easy transition if you raise the rifle and your dot isn't there. You can use your red dot as rear sight essantitly.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I must disagree here. The A1 style carry handle upper and an A1 style FSB are the pinnacle of lightweight SHTF perfectness.
    Nothing beats the durability a taper pinned FSB gives you. Yes I realize that means using the old school method of using the carry handle hole (and having it higher) for your red dot.

A compromise might be an A1 style F marked front FSB and using something like a Daniel Defense A1.5 Fixed Rear Sight Assembly.
    Or just the rear MBUS.
    Shtf capable? Absolutely.

Pinnacle of lightweight and shtf? Arguably not.

Especially when it comes to lightweight.

The lightest A1 upper I've found was a slickside was 7 ounces without am ejection port doors.

Then the A1 FSB? Anywhere from 4.5 to 5.2 ounces itself.

My slickside upper weighs 5.8 without the door, gas block weighs .7 ounces, and if I added Scalarworks sights that's another 1.7 ounces.

Plus losing the rail real estate for me is an automatic no go. Even if I find an A1 handle with a top rail for just a red dot I'd lose the option to add a magnifier.

So durable, can't argue with you much. I'd still put more faith in a quality rail + fixed front sight over a gas block sight for never moving under heavy abuse. But they're both highly unlikely to move.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I like the clicks being set up for 15” sight radius. As this is a short range build, no problem getting an excellent zero for 0-200y. Light, strong, and look good. I cried once.
    I think I read somewhere that they have a mathematical formula in the owners manual for adjustments should you be using a different than 15" setup.

Is that true? Mine are on the way right now so I don't have a manual yet.

It'll probably be a 17" setup on mine roughly.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Wow, these things are Fing beautiful for a set of iron sights.

I couldn't believe how light they are too, an absolute perfect match for this rifle. New handguard should be here this week too. Gonna be really beautiful either way.

20220806_153649.jpg

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I think I read somewhere that they have a mathematical formula in the owners manual for adjustments should you be using a different than 15" setup.

Is that true? Mine are on the way right now so I don't have a manual yet.

It'll probably be a 17" setup on mine roughly.
    As you saw in the instructions, when each click is set for a 15” radius, the actual click is just proportional. 15”/(actual radius)= rated click value/(actual click value). Personally my radius is slightly longer but I’m zeroed at 50 and won’t be adjusting these since it’s specifically a 0-200y rifle.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    As you saw in the instructions, when each click is set for a 15” radius, the actual click is just proportional. 15”/(actual radius)= rated click value/(actual click value). Personally my radius is slightly longer but I’m zeroed at 50 and won’t be adjusting these since it’s specifically a 0-200y rifle.
    I bought mine used off of a display gun, everything but the instructions were in the box.

After looking on the site there's a download for the instruction card and it's actually 7.5 ÷ sight radius for the moa/click value

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It does me good to see the last couple posts. I have always wanted Troy folding sights, because "they are the toughest." As I built a few different configurations and specialty guns, I started running into NOT wanting to spend $200-$250 per build.

As the Magpul MBUS ended up on more and more guns, the reviews were coming in that they really weren't the cheap fragile junk that a lot of folks would like us to believe. Combine this with the weight saving and of course the good pricing, MBUS became easy to say yes to.

Long story short, I got an optic I had been waiting for this afternoon. That prompted me swap around some parts that got me into a Magpul FDE furnished gun. Aaaaand I just happened to have a set of FDE MBUS looking for a home. Soooooo... I may have a set of Troy BUIS for sale, if anyone is interested?

Top Bottom