SHTF rifle iron sights. Magpul mbus gen 2 durability? Bobro lowriders?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    So my dream build is almost done, and I went with parts that were all as lightweight and still durable as can be but didn't go with a pair of back up irons.

After realizing I wouldn't want my handgun to not have back up irons and putting all my faith in my red dot just because it has a solar panel I realized I should probably put irons on the AR as well.

Keeping with the lightweight goal in mind I was going to go with the mbus gen 2's to save another 1.5 or 2 ounces over most competitors but I've got nothing else polymer on the rifle and don't plan on anything unless the discontinued Trijicon acog I'm still hunting for has any in its construction.

Are the gen 2 mbus pretty durable? Or should I just give in and get irons.

I know it sounds silly but I'm trying to keep this build at the target weight of 6lbs with optic and loaded. Without optics / mag it's about 4.3lbs. You don't get that low without considering every ounce.

Edit: I posted this below when I found it - has anyone ever had these Bobro lowrider buis?

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    WnNvzGZ.jpg

It's an extra 1/2 oz but I would go with the MBUS Pros myself (at least according to Amazon) , I tend to agree with your school of thinking. Not a fan of any plastic sights on any guns period , including pistol RDS if it has a polymer frame I don't even look at it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Give these a try. They are American made, and they are tough. For the cost you can't beat them.

Use promo code: Freedom40
    For 40% off anything on the site.
    Buy $50 worth of product get free 2-3 day shipping.

This is owned and operated by a combat veteran, and Jake is a great guy, and they have outstanding customer service and support.

Lifetime Warranty.
    100% Satisfaction Guarantee.
    No Restocking Fees

They really do honor that.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If Magpul would ever come out with the MBUS 3, I would buy a set. I have been waiting for over a year and they keep saying "coming soon".

Aero also has a set that look good, but they seem to be permanently out of stock also.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Someone did a durability test several years ago and the plastic MBUS actually came out on top. Their thoughts were the plastic will spring back into place vs metal which doesn’t. Probably not very scientific but I’ve never had a problem with MBUS on my guns. They are back up sights after all.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I have Troys, Magpul MBUS, MBUS Pros, and Scalarworks fixed sights. As much as I want to hate the Magpul plastic sights, I can't. They're pretty robust and do their job. I still like the Pros better because they aren't so big. I don't have any experience with the Bobro sights, but they generally make quality parts. Scalarworks is coming out with a set of folding sights, but not until October.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It does me good to see the last couple posts. I have always wanted Troy folding sights, because "they are the toughest." As I built a few different configurations and specialty guns, I started running into NOT wanting to spend $200-$250 per build.

As the Magpul MBUS ended up on more and more guns, the reviews were coming in that they really weren't the cheap fragile junk that a lot of folks would like us to believe. Combine this with the weight saving and of course the good pricing, MBUS became easy to say yes to.

Long story short, I got an optic I had been waiting for this afternoon. That prompted me swap around some parts that got me into a Magpul FDE furnished gun. Aaaaand I just happened to have a set of FDE MBUS looking for a home. Soooooo... I may have a set of Troy BUIS for sale, if anyone is interested?

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    I can not fault magpul polymers and have a couple.

I prefer magpul pro's for the size. Pro offsets are heavier but the convenience of rapid flip up in event of anything temporarily affecting your optic.

The magpul pro long range, elevation dial equipped, do work for me taking 223 out to 600.

Magpul pros easier to adjust front sight elevation but that is seldom done.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I must disagree here. The A1 style carry handle upper and an A1 style FSB are the pinnacle of lightweight SHTF perfectness.
    Nothing beats the durability a taper pinned FSB gives you. Yes I realize that means using the old school method of using the carry handle hole (and having it higher) for your red dot.

A compromise might be an A1 style F marked front FSB and using something like a Daniel Defense A1.5 Fixed Rear Sight Assembly.
    Or just the rear MBUS.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I use optics if I’m practicing drills but switch to irons when I’m shooting for fun, so I’ve used a variety. The Magpuls we’re definitely better than I anticipated. Troy’s are good but not worth the price IMO. Diamondheads are my favorite. I figured they were a gimmick but decided to roll the dice and they worked exactly as advertised.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    My experience with irons is that I like the metal sights better over the Magpul MBUS as they don't block out as much of the target. For me the weight savings and cost savings does not outweigh the visibility I gain with iron's like GG&G, Troy and the like. GG&G are my personal favorites. They are basically a high quality flip up A2 sight. For fixed Irons I like the UTG Super Slim fixed irons. They are Chinesium, but in my experience they are solid sights.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I use optics if I’m practicing drills but switch to irons when I’m shooting for fun, so I’ve used a variety. The Magpuls we’re definitely better than I anticipated. Troy’s are good but not worth the price IMO. Diamondheads are my favorite. I figured they were a gimmick but decided to roll the dice and they worked exactly as advertised.
    I've never heard of these either but looking into them the weight listed seems to be in the ballpark of the BoBros I was about settled on.

I've seen mostly posts and reviews mimicking yours - everyone thought it was a gimmick but it works.

That's my favorite type of thing. Oddball stuff that just works.

Thank you for the post!

And thank everyone else for your input so far. I'm so glad I started actually using the forums for their intent rather just the classifieds.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I've never heard of these either but looking into them the weight listed seems to be in the ballpark of the BoBros I was about settled on.

I've seen mostly posts and reviews mimicking yours - everyone thought it was a gimmick but it works.

That's my favorite type of thing. Oddball stuff that just works.

Thank you for the post!

And thank everyone else for your input so far. I'm so glad I started actually using the forums for their intent rather just the classifieds.
    I’m won’t attempt to try and explain the science, but you’ll notice an immediate improvement when it comes to sight acquisition and alignment. There’s just something intuitive about them, and you get what you pay for in terms of quality. I’d have them on all my rifles if they were a bit cheaper. That said, I can’t speak for their polymer models. I’d imagine you’d get the same benefits in terms of the sighting system but I don’t know about build quality.

Gravyman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 21, 2022
    Fishers
    MBUS pros would be the way to go. But realistically standard MBUS are almost certainly durable enough. Pair them with a tank of a prism optic and it's going to take a real disaster for you to be left with no sighting capabilities

VostocK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010

Give these a try. They are American made, and they are tough.
    I have some of these. They are not a bad set of sights, but they are not made in America. It is an "American Owned Company" but the products the company sells are mass-produced and custom branded in China.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    So my dream build is almost done, and I went with parts that were all as lightweight and still durable as can be but didn't go with a pair of back up irons.

After realizing I wouldn't want my handgun to not have back up irons and putting all my faith in my red dot just because it has a solar panel I realized I should probably put irons on the AR as well.

Keeping with the lightweight goal in mind I was going to go with the mbus gen 2's to save another 1.5 or 2 ounces over most competitors but I've got nothing else polymer on the rifle and don't plan on anything unless the discontinued Trijicon acog I'm still hunting for has any in its construction.

Are the gen 2 mbus pretty durable? Or should I just give in and get irons.

I know it sounds silly but I'm trying to keep this build at the target weight of 6lbs with optic and loaded. Without optics / mag it's about 4.3lbs. You don't get that low without considering every ounce.

Edit: I posted this below when I found it - has anyone ever had these Bobro lowrider buis?

I did Scalars on my Kenosha build. Not backups— they are primary. Superb quality.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I did Scalars on my Kenosha build. Not backups— they are primary. Superb quality.
    That's what I'm going to go with too.

They also look really awesome, but I swear that totally didn't have any impact on my decision. It's all ruggedness and practicality, no way anything on my guns is for aesthetic purposes.

Plus I really want to get a lot better with irons just in case, so I'm going to probably take a few classes running just irons or at least leaving the dot off.

I might replace the rear with a folding sight when the peak 2s come out but I don't know yet.

Top Bottom