Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Take good care of your teeth now, have supplies on hand to do so in the future, and therefore reduce the need for "dramatic" dental care should SHTF.

After that, alcohol and pliers.

About 40 years ago, a local band all lived together in a "band house." One of them got an abscess and was having horrible tooth pain. So they decided that he should get sh*t face drunk and stoned, and one of them would pull it using pliers. He proceeded to get plastered, and finally announced "I'm ready."

As soon as someone started pulling with the pliers, he screams "I'M NOT READY!"

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Brush and floss at least twice a day. Rinse after every meal and sugary drinks/snacks.

Gonna need lots of floss and toothpaste stored up for TEOTWAWKI.
    Baking soda works well for substitute toothpaste, and is good for other things as well.
    One of my CW friends (a dentist) makes his own toothbrushes out of a stick and pieces of corncob.
    It might be good to have a set of stainless steel dental tools for future use. They are also good for many other things, and I use mine weekly for small jobs.

"Dentists constantly tell you never to put sharp metal objects in your mouth, and that's the first thing they do when you go see them."

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    There was some joking about marrying a dentist, but topics like this reinforce the importance of having dentist, doctors, nurses etc. in their close circle of like-minded folks who may be engaged in the event of an emergency or SHTF scenario.

In addition to having someone with the soft skills to be able to address medical issues, one of my big concerns is about having the tools and hardware handy too. For instance, how many people have supplies needed to perform surgery, or a blood transfusion in the case of an injury, illness, accident or some type of armed conflict?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    For instance, how many people have supplies needed to perform surgery, or a blood transfusion in the case of an injury, illness, accident or some type of armed conflict?
    We have a complete surgical kit, plus sutures and staples. But no first-hand practice using them. That's likely to be a problem, since backyard surgery tends to be frowned upon, both by the authorities and potential patients.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Just the thought of primitive dental work give me the shivers. Good thing I have plenty of anesthetic.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Baking soda works well for substitute toothpaste, and is good for other things as well.
    One of my CW friends (a dentist) makes his own toothbrushes out of a stick and pieces of corncob.
    It might be good to have a set of stainless steel dental tools for future use. They are also good for many other things, and I use mine weekly for small jobs.

"Dentists constantly tell you never to put sharp metal objects in your mouth, and that's the first thing they do when you go see them."
    I have the basic dental tools myself, including mirror, scalers and what not. I don't use them for anything but oral care though. Something about using a tool in my mouth after having used it in the garage...

Baking soda is a terrible substitute for toothpaste (taste and grit-wise), but it will work in a pinch. Nothing minty fresh about that!

This topic underscores for me the near futility in being "prepped" for a year of self-reliance. I wouldn't suggest to not try or to not be prepared for emergencies, but to be stocked up/educated for all needs and emergencies...that is a Herculean task.

It is a task that someone has to spend their entire life working on. I have come to wonder, what kind of life is that? Now that I am getting older I believe my survival depends more heavily upon chance, providence, or the hand of God. While I am in ho hurry, I have started to believe I would be more grateful among the dead.

GD.JPG

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    In 2012 I had Lasik done so I wouldn't need prescription glasses any more. Well one eye is failing the mission and the other is close behind. I go in November to get a consult about lens replacement. Wish I had known about this back then. Guy I know had it done 10 years ago and is still good to go.

I had the wisdom teeth removed, as well as two cut out. That was worth it for peace of mind.

I have sutures, dental tools and the like in my stores. Bought a lot of them from the guy that worked the 1500. He explained a little about the different tools and such. I have books on the subjects, but no experience. Had planned to get a pigs foot from the grocery but never did.

I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, but if a tooth acts up I am a whimpy little kid. I do have the meds the dentist gave me last time a root canal was needed. Saved back, just in case. That will be temporary at best, but maybe it will help.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Brush and floss at least twice a day. Rinse after every meal and sugary drinks/snacks.

Gonna need lots of floss and toothpaste stored up for TEOTWAWKI.

This is a very good point!

Others talk of having liquor and cigarettes for bartering in SHTF. Do you really want to be trading with the addicted crowd or one's seeking clean teeth and mouth?

Piles of "free" toothbrushes, sample flosses and other stuff from past dentist visits combined with a full sized tube from your stockpile should bring a solid trade value?

100 rounds of .308, 5.56, or even 9mm for my mouth care package?

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    My recently passed FIL owned an insanely substantial collection of scotch and bourbon, of which we have inherited quite a bit. We should be able to handle the anesthesia, or at least the painkiller.

Top Bottom