Should suppressors be legal, regulated, illegal, etc.?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I read this article and was curious as to what public opinion would be surrounding the legality of suppressors? As my name on here would indicate I generally endorse deregulation of all sorts so long as it does not stand to harm others.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    It's already legal to own suppressors in most states.
    I think they should be restricted to "proper persons" and treated like ammunition.
    Hearing protection should be for everyone, not just the rich.
    :) Does my stance on this make me a SJ warrior?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2022
    Indianapolis
    It's already legal to own suppressors in most states.
    I think they should be restricted to "proper persons" and treated like ammunition.
    Hearing protection should be for everyone, not just the rich.
    :) Does my stance on this make me a SJ warrior?
    See that is my focus as well. I think that public opinion often places suppressors in the realm of criminality which is unfair.

Xterminator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    Terre Haute
    I just got done watching John Wick 1-2 & 3. Silencers are plentiful. I want one of those ( they're really quiet). - this is what everyone who hasn't shot a gun with suppressors think. Politicians believe the same, so they restrict them for political gain. Now we have to register them, put on a list- (just encase they decide to outlaw). Crazy wait time on stamp - taxation. This alone keeps people from purchasing.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I took my father to the range a couple years ago. He is in his eighties and had never fired a gun. After he shot a .22 pistol both with and without a suppressor he said how much nicer it was to shoot suppressed. I explained the process of how to purchase a suppressor, that it was a million times easier to actually buy the gun.

My liberal father said that was stupid and should be repealed.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Suppressors (silencers) or whatever you chose to call the devices should not be regulated or taxed! There really was never a rational basis for including them in the NFA, though to be honest there was never a rational basis for the NFA period.

Worse, suppressors are really a health issue and their use should be encouraged not discouraged through taxation (theft). If the Federal government is going to claim they can tax and regulate cigarretes and alcohol due to the negative health consequences of use, then the corollary for suppressors should be subsidizing them for sale with any firearm which can host one.

The devices are quite literally a muffler for your firearm. Does the government likewise specifically tax and regulate the muffler for your vehicle? The function and reason are the same, and thus the regulatory / tax treatment should be equivalent.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I was in a gun store in South Africa a few years ago. It seemed odd too see suppressors laying on a shelf just like boxes of ammo might be in this country. Just pay the man and walk out. That's how it should be.

They are simply mufflers for guns. If we weren't talking about 'guns' OSHA and the consumer protection folks would have required suppressors years ago. If I were in a suburban neighborhood it would seem rude to run my lawnmower without a muffler.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If guns were tools used in industry, or used on the highways, OSHA and DOT would REQUIRE their use for personal safety.

And since they dont work IRL like they do in the movies (make a fffffft! sound that would allow somebody in the next room to not notice) there is no good reason for them not to be sold at least like a firearm, if not ammo. Its a freakin safety device.

And as its a safety device, You should be able to order/purchase one just like you would any other firearms accessory. Specifically like gun muffs/plugs.

Top Bottom