• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Hey, if a guy is burning a flag, and another guy punches him in the face, I’m going to chuckle and keep walking.
    If I’m on a jury and the guy’s crime is “burning the flag,” I won’t convict.
    I disagree with the act, but know it is, and forever should be, protected speech.
    To add to this, if the guy's crime is punching a flag burner in the face, I'd vote to acquit him too.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hey, if a guy is burning a flag, and another guy punches him in the face, I’m going to chuckle and keep walking.
    I disagree with the act, but know it is, and forever should be, protected speech.
    And this is fine. I have to say yes it’s the right thing if it’s a jury trial.
    I figured you felt as I do because it is a terrible act.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

Here's my problem Kut,

Burning the flag is NOT speech, it is a action.

The 1st has been manipulated.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech,
    or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

R3COIL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    NWI
    Burning the flag is protected speech. A disgraceful act for sure, but protected none the less. Making this act a felony weakens freedom of speech and creates a slippery slope moving forward.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    It should be a felony to burn the American flag !

EXCLUSIVE - BMX Freestyle rider Chelsea Wolfe, who qualified as an alternate to represent the U.S. at this year's summer Olympics in Tokyo, said last year that her goal was to win an Olympic medal "so I can burn a US flag on the podium." "My goal is to win the Olympics so I can burn a US flag on the podium.2 hours ago
    Wanna make a real impression, don't compete and lose out on some financial endorsements...

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Burning the flag is protected speech. A disgraceful act for sure, but protected none the less. Making this act a felony weakens freedom of speech and creates a slippery slope moving forward.
    But the problem is, that it is NOT speech, it is a action.

R3COIL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    NWI
    I don't want to argue semantics, but I would say it is an expressive action which is protected. A call to action, like yelling "fire" or something similar is different.

I think the opinion piece in the Johnson case sums it up quite nicely.

“If there is a bedrock principle underlying the First Amendment, it is that the Government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because society finds the idea itself offensive or disagreeable,” - Justice William Brennan.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Free speech covers more than actual speech.
    It's the right to express your opinion, no matter how you do it.

Holding a sign wit written words on it is considered free speech ... even though you're not speaking.

Same with writing a letter, typing on a computer etc.

Or even flashing your high beams ...

In the United States, although the legality of headlight flashing varies from state to state, a federal court ruled that flashing headlights was a constitutionally protected form of speech, issuing an injunction prohibiting a police department from citing or prosecuting drivers who flash their lights to warn of radar
    It's actually illegal in many countries btw. :patriot:

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    These are actions too IBM...
    But these actions are actually written out that it is allowed. The first says that you may "assemble"
    Free speech covers more than actual speech.
    It's the right to express your opinion, no matter how you do it.

Holding a sign wit written words on it is considered free speech ... even though you're not speaking.

Same with writing a letter, typing on a computer etc.

Or even flashing your high beams ...

It's actually illegal in many countries btw. :patriot:
    Speech and written words are covered under the 1st.

Flashing headlights here in the USA is against the law in some states, even though the Federal Courts have determined it is a form of communication, because ya know it's a little hard to stick your head out the window at 65mph to yell at some one on the interstate to warn them of a wreck or police up ahead.

Under this thought, wouldn't burning down a police station because you are part of the establishment against the police be consider "Free Speech" NO.
    The 1st is being twisted just like the 2nd has been for decades.

I look at it this way, I have not served in the military, I would have been 6th gen Navy if my recruiter had not lied to me, he was slime. The Flag represents this country and the millions of men who have gave up their lives to keep us and the millions of others around this world free.

If I ever have a flag burned in front of me, the burnee will be graced with a bloody nose or lips.

I fly Old Glory each and every day in my front yard to Honor the Men and Women who have gave up their life protecting it and our country.

Say what you want, you will not change my mind on this.

Nevermore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018
    Somewhere
    But these actions are actually written out that it is allowed. The first says that you may "assemble"

Flashing headlights here in the USA is against the law in some states, even though the Federal Courts have determined it is a form of communication, because ya know it's a little hard to stick your head out the window at 65mph to yell at some one on the interstate to warn them of a wreck or police up ahead.

Under this thought, wouldn't burning down a police station because you are part of the establishment against the police be consider "Free Speech" NO.

I look at it this way, I have not served in the military, I would have been 6th gen Navy if my recruiter had not lied to me, he was slime. The Flag represents this country and the millions of men who have gave up their lives to keep us and the millions of others around this world free.

If I ever have a flag burned in front of me, the burnee will be graced with a bloody nose or lips.

I fly Old Glory each and every day in my front yard to Honor the Men and Women who have gave up their life protecting it and our country.

You can't burn down a police station because it is not your property. Your freedom ends where mine begins yadda yadda. I can burn a flag because I own it. If you would like to pass a law restricting my right to use my own property as I see fit to suit your emotional response to the action by all means. Just expect me to do the same in return, vindictively if need be.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Felony? No

But he shouldn't be allowed to re-enter the US, since he thinks the US is so bad.
    He should be perfectly fine with that, afterall.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    You can't burn down a police station because it is not your property. Your freedom ends where mine begins yadda yadda. I can burn a flag because I own it. If you would like to pass a law restricting my right to use my own property as I see fit to suit your emotional response to the action by all means. Just expect me to do the same in return, vindictively if need be.

Agreeable

But I'm a firm believer that the blood spilled to protect our country that this flag represents should be treated with the same respect that our covers the very coffins of the men and women who gave their life's and flies over the grave yards of where they are buried.

People who burn the flag are no better than the random dog :poop: that gets stepped in.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Tell that to the SCOTUS

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/391/367/

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

I'm interested in hearing your arguments to how the US Supreme Court got this wrong in their ruling?

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    It shouldn't be a felony to burn a flag, unless you're destroying someone else's property after you stole it.

You want people to not burn the flag because they respect the flag.
    Not because they fear a felony charge.

Having so much freedom that you can burn your own flag is awesome. :patriot:
    I may be wrong , but haven't people been charged with a felony and jailed over burning the lbqt whatever flag ? So why not the American flag

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Top Bottom