• ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Because he stole the flag.

Had it been his own flag, it wouldn't have been arson.

I thought crimes against property weren't just cause for this kind of punishment to people in your pursuasion?

Or is it just went it's against some sort of property you like?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Damned First Amendment.

One of the least American things I can think of is to make someone else's political speech illegal.

Ehhhhh

Are they conveying an idea with the burning of the flag? Something to motivate some sort of political change or educate in a political philosophy?

I don't think just straight up burning the flag is making a statement at all, it's just being a ****. That's why it teeters on the verge for me. Now if they were spreading some dangerous ideology, then yeah I'd see why that's protected.
    I don't see this as any different than someone taking selfies of themselves pissing on someone's grave.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I thought crimes against property weren't just cause for this kind of punishment to people in your pursuasion?

Or is it just went it's against some sort of property you like?
    I didn't say anything about the punishment being fitting for the crime of destroying $50 or less of stolen property. I was merely explaining the difference between a political statement (burning one's own flag) and a crime (burning someone else's flag).

But thank you for trying to make it personal.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

Charged with Arson, hate crime, harrassment
    Thank you. Interesting. Sub in an American flag in this specific situation and he would have committed arson and with the habitual violator enhancement = 15yrs. The LGBT "hate crime" charge was only a minor addition. So like many things in life, the devil is in the details.

Top Bottom