• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Those very people fought and died to protect everyone's rights, including those with whom they disagreed. It's part of the 1st Amendment rights that are protected by our constitution. You don't get to silence the expression of those opinions that you disagree with. That would make us like North Korea or China, or Russia.
    Truth. But I will still stomp a mud hole up in "ITS" ass given the opportunity as an ex[pression of my beliefs.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Out of respect to the veterans who fought and died & or give for this country and also out of respect for the USA it should be a felony !
    One of the rights my father fought for (WW2) was the right to freedom of speech. He recognized that everyone has the rights spelled out in the constitution and that he might not agree with how they used those rights.

I can remember watching protesters on TV during the Vietnam war, he thought they were misguided and mistaken, but he would have gone to war again for their right to peacefully protest and have their say.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Truth. But I will still stomp a mud hole up in "ITS" ass given the opportunity as an ex[pression of my beliefs.
    I understand the sentiment CM, but if that were to happen, guess who is going to jail for assault? Like it or not, THAT is the law of the land. I'd think long and hard about wanting to get rid of the 1A.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I think they actually buy flags in order to burn them.
    People who do that are cowards, they're not going to steal a flag for someone's yard.
    They know that could get them a good beating, and/or an arrest.
    Or they could even legally get shot in most states.

Not that I know for sure, I've never burned or stole a flag.

Burning a flag (that you own) is covered under the first amendment, it's freedom of speech.

That's actually a beautiful thing (the level of freedom, not the flag burning itself).
    The fact that protesters on US soil can stand in the middle of the a street, in front of cops, while burning an American flag and spewing hate towards their own country ... all that without fear of being arrested.

It's actually ironic since they couldn't do that in China, or Russia (burning the national flag there) or any other country that they claim are better than the US.

I have no respect for people who burn US flags obviously, especially American citizens who do that.

It's a bit different with brainwashed foreigners doing that.They usually don't know any better.

Where do we get off the highway to he77 that those that hate this country are educating our young?

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Those very people fought and died to protect everyone's rights, including those with whom they disagreed. It's part of the 1st Amendment rights that are protected by our constitution. You don't get to silence the expression of those opinions that you disagree with. That would make us like North Korea or China, or Russia.
    We`re already very much like North Korea, China and Russia, the cancel culture has seen to that. I`ve heard some, even here, say that we have freedom of speech, but you have to live with the consequences. That`s nonsense. By that logic, North Korea, China and Russia have free speech too since they can say whatever they want there, just so long as they`ll live with the consequences. If there are consequences to what we say or express, then it`s not free speech.
    And my emotional rage says that burning the United States Flag ought to get you a one-way ticket to North Korea, China, or Russia.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I understand the sentiment CM, but if that were to happen, guess who is going to jail for assault? Like it or not, THAT is the law of the land. I'd think long and hard about wanting to get rid of the 1A.
    Never said a thing about the 1A as I am right in lockstep.
    But stupid actions require sever consequences. And I do understand the ramifications of this.
    But in this I do not care. If you hate that flag so much let me help you pack and get to the air[ort. There are a dozen places you need to be but not here.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Felony? No. Harsh consequences? Fine by me.

I do believe, however, that making the statement this freak made, should automatically disqualify it from competing for this country in the olympics. I’m not holding my breath that our olympic committee has the balls to make that stand, but I guess we’ll see.

Oh yeah, and it’s a dude competing as a woman, but the best he can get is being an alternate? Lol! No wonder he’s so hateful and angry!

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    But stupid actions require sever consequences. And I do understand the ramifications of this.
    But in this I do not care. If you hate that flag so much let me help you pack and get to the air[ort. There are a dozen places you need to be but not here.
    I`m on a retirement income, but I`ll chip in for airfare or boat fare for anyone who wants to live somewhere else. If this country troubles anyone that much, it`s best for everyone if you go elsewhere.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If there are consequences to what we say or express, then it`s not free speech.
    And my emotional rage says that burning the United States Flag ought to get you a one-way ticket to North Korea, China, or Russia.
    You don't see a logical contradiction in these two statements?

"If there are consequences to what we say or express, then it`s not free speech." - yet you are saying there should be consequences for exercising what SCOTUS has determined IS protected "speech" under the 1st Amendment.

"And my emotional rage says that burning the United States Flag ought to get you a one-way ticket to North Korea, China, or Russia." - Yet, you want people punished for exercising their 1A rights. Again, this has been to SCOTUS and has been determined to be part of the 1A.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Again, I agree with the sentiment. I think it's total BS for people to burn the flag, but it IS constitutionally protected.

What if someone is SO opposed to the 2A that they want to beat the crap out of anyone that owns a gun. Are they right to do so? Because it's exactly the same argument. Getting shot notwithstanding.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I do believe, however, that making the statement this freak made, should automatically disqualify it from competing for this country in the olympics. I’m not holding my breath that our olympic committee has the balls to make that stand, but I guess we’ll see.
    And this I would agree with, because the Olympic Committee is NOT the government and they would be well within their rights to do so. Remember, the Constitution protects us from GOVERNMENT overreach only.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    You don't see a logical contradiction in these two statements?

"If there are consequences to what we say or express, then it`s not free speech." - yet you are saying there should be consequences for exercising what SCOTUS has determined IS protected "speech" under the 1st Amendment.

"And my emotional rage says that burning the United States Flag ought to get you a one-way ticket to North Korea, China, or Russia." - Yet, you want people punished for exercising their 1A rights. Again, this has been to SCOTUS and has been determined to be part of the 1A.
    I disagree with the supremes that, flag burning is protected free speech. That flag represents TOO many valiant men and women who gave everything to protect this nation.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I disagree with the supremes that, flag burning is protected free speech. That flag represents TOO many valiant men and women who gave everything to protect this nation.
    Well, you're certainly free to lawyer up and challenge it.

Edit: Ironically it's the 1A that protects your right to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It's political speech. Speech we do not like is PRECISIOUSLY the speech that should be protected. I find it interesting the board that touts freedom from Gov intervention supports felony charges for someone burning THEIR OWN PROPERTY. Freedom on your terms.
    Exactly. I mean it even gives you the right to spell "precisely" as "precisiously". :stickpoke:

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I recall 16 -B25's that visited Tokyo back in 1942. Sadly the crews are all passed away now. Im sure the flag burning wasn't on their mids when they took off from the Hornet. Old story, but they went there to allow us freedom from tyranny.
    Agree with others that it is our flag, not anyone else's. I don't care who furnishes it. Ask any Veteran about those flags. RESPECT IT!

Top Bottom