• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Anyone have any real world experience with a bandolier? Seems like there's a lot of slings out there but I'm not really interested in having a dozen shells hanging off the bottom of my gun.

I'm not really looking for a budget option where I spend more time picking shells up off the ground than I do carrying them.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I've had a sling bandolier on a shotgun and although a great idea on paper, it maintained 100% suck status. The weight of a half box of 12g high brass swinging, while you're trying to move, aim and fire is madening to say the least.
    I gave up on them and went with (2) velcro shot cards. If the gun is fully loaded and both shotcards are too, that gives me 17 rounds of 12 guage, 00 on the gun.
    If that's not enough, I grabbed the wrong tool for the job.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    I've had a sling bandolier on a shotgun and although a great idea on paper, it maintained 100% suck status. The weight of a half box of 12g high brass swinging, while you're trying to move, aim and fire is madening to say the least.
    I gave up on them and went with (2) velcro shot cards. If the gun is fully loaded and both shotcards are too, that gives me 17 rounds of 12 guage, 00 on the gun.
    If that's not enough, I grabbed the wrong tool for the job.
    Agreed. That's why I don't want it attached to the gun whatsoever. I'm thinking something like this but I want to make sure it's decent quality.

Attachments

• 41c7FwL9qhL._AC_.jpg
      41c7FwL9qhL._AC_.jpg
      21.4 KB · Views: 0

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Having played with both I'd defiantly recommend a belt over a bando with the buckle on the non reload hand side, brass up.

I'll echo the able statement though, Velcro shot cards are probably the best solution.

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Tried the bandolier, belt, and slings with the elastic loops decades ago. Elastic ages very poorly, gradually moving toward ever increasing retention failures. Even when new these loops are already retention failures; you are trying to use friction to hold a cylinder of smooth plastic plus even smoother metal at the base of the round. This just does not work reliably, outside of standing at the line on the range. On belts and bandoliers it is also a problem to reach each round in a changing location (and shifting weight balance for a bandolier) as you use them up.

First thing I recommend if you can tolerate the increased width is a good receiver-mounted side saddle style carrier. That is the place to go to rapidly top off after rounds fired, or rapidly reload a few for oh-crap-it's-empty.

If you plan on tromping through the woods and hills or doing anything dynamic, elastic loops are only useful when they are inside another pouch. There's the cards that slide into M4 pouches, secure but I find them too slow. If "geared up" I prefer a couple of the Eagle SFLCS type pouches somewhere between the center and weak-side low enough to easily reach with the off hand. These are horizontal pouches with a single wide Velcro flap and internal elastic loops to organize a portion of the enclosed rounds.

Belt mounting one or two of the same pouches on the weak-side belt also works. If I wanted to carry close to bandolier quantities I would look at a bulk pouch with a secure but fast to operate one-handed closure on a solid belt, with handgun carry on the other side of the belt to offset the loaded weight.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    This is a Rothco brand bandolier. Nylon webbing, elastic loops. Holds 37 rounds.
    001.jpg
    It has hung in my safe for 10+ years (with the ammo you see) and is in the same condition as the day I bought it. I've never been a big Rothco advocate but the webbing still holds like they did day one.

It has one purpose - grab it when you're in a hurry and gotta go. The way it is shaped I don't think it would fling around much if you were running with it (I don't run, that's what I have firearms for). It is not heavy at all with 25 rounds of 00 Buck.

YMMV

Top Bottom