• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I don't know, I was glad to finish my work and get out before I lost any more money. I know you are right about mold. That super insulated, double wall house that Watt energy systems built molded up in a couple years.

I get a laugh that then turns to tears over the home energy regulations that have sealed up homes tight as a drum, and now some homeowners are spending thousands for fresh air induction systems. A function drafty windows perform very efficiently free…

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    And while entitled to your opinion this is comment is ridiculous. Are you an engineer? How many homes in central Indiana have fallen in because of this construction? What should the folks that cannot afford your utopian dream of how a house is supposed to be built supposed to live in?

Before engineering overbuilt was the way we built. Now we have knowledge. (Not that humans don’t sometimes fail.) I would prefer an overbuilt home, but would rather have a home first and foremost. Calling engineering a crime is silly…
    Mike, in that kind of construction it doesn't matter how well your front door is constructed and how big the lock plate or deep the deadbolt. It is easier to just kick in the wall next to the door

The point is, you're paying the same price or more for a new house as you would a better constructed older one. You won't want to hear it, but the answer is more time in an apartment saving so you can buy a better house. With those construction methods there will be almost nothing you can affordably do to make it better

Yes, we have engineering knowledge, but a home isn't an aircraft or spacecraft where weight is a major concern and it is built no stronger than it needs to be. It should be built like a tank to last for many years

PeeWee9999

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Plainfield
    The home I was raised in was build in the late 1940's and I know a .30-30 would not go through a inside wall and outside wall. The outside wall was built with wood lap siding, 1" white oak rough cut 10" boards nailed at an opposing angle, rough cut oak 2x4's, wood lath and plaster. Later years blowed insulation was added. How do I know a 30-30 would not go through a inside and outside wall? My baby brother (6 years old) caused a Savage bolt gun to discharge in mom and dad's bedroom. It went through the wall between the bedroom and living room which was lath and plaster into the living room wall but did not get through that wall. The .30-30 had a core lock bullet in it.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I am thankful our new home is brick on all exterior walls. The box-o-truth has shown over and over… .223, 9mm, .45, 00 buck, birdshot, slugs, etc ALL over penetrate. The myth of using a shotgun with birdshot to not over penetrate drywall was debunked 10+ years ago. Use what you can most reliably put rounds ON target with for safety. For me, it’s an AR with 75gr HP, Gold Dots or similar. Even a pistol with a proper grip and stance is as long as an AR. My 11.5” suppressed AR is a great rig for HD. I pray I’ll never need to use it, but it’s ready.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Being chastised for recommending that rifles are not always the best choice for CQC, I find this thread humorous as we witness the age of small rooms, thin walls, and plastic doors. Just a tad bit Hypocritical to arm yourself to the teeth with rifles, employ the best SA, put a Glock logo on your truck and live in a paper doll house. Have you seen how strong the door latches are?

I do truly understand economics, and we keep saying what a great economy we have, but look at what we have accepted in housing today. Not everyone can live on the Simon property but I would gladly take a 50 yr+ house than anything you can build for less than $250,000 today. Just me.

carbinekid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Gettysburg
    Bought my first house in '99, a CP Morgan house in Noblesville. As I watched it being built, I came to the realization that a sharp stick with a bit of force could penetrated through most of the house from the outside.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Not everyone can live on the Simon property but I would gladly take a 50 yr+ house than anything you can build for less than $250,000 today. Just me.
    Hell, half the price of most houses built these days, over or under $250K, seems to be spent on the ****ing kitchen or heads.

Just how in the hell did our grandmas get by without granite countertops and six-burner stoves? :):

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    Hell, half the price of most houses built these days, over or under $250K, seems to be spent on the ****ing kitchen or heads.

Just how in the hell did our grandmas get by without granite countertops and six-burner stoves? :):

And most people today will only use one burner at time anyhow... if they can use any at all.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Just make sure you hit center mass with a nicely expanding projectile on your bad guy target and you will not have to worry about a projectile going through the side of your house. Best of luck....

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    Oh, it is just BS old wives tales that the homes of the masses were that great in the old days, whenever that was…
    My 1916 house in Chicago had 3 courses of bricks with plaster and lath inside, the floors were 3 layers of subflooring plus the 3/4" hardwood. Hell, the bathroom had 2" of concrete on top of the planks. The vast majority of that house was exactly the same as it was when we escaped 2 years ago.

The ****box we live in now in a "nice modern" subdivision had a leak in a greatroom window up high, and managed to reduce the OSB sheathing to mashed potatoes. I could poke my finger through the wall, and about 2" into the structural members.

Not sure if the houses of the masses were great in the old days, but they sure are **** today.

IMG_0867.jpg

Reactions: Leo

USMarineVMA542

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2022
    Fort Wayne

It’s because women don’t care that the first 4 feet above the foundation are stone and it would do better to protect you, they don’t like the color or the shape…don’t get me started on how crazy she thought I sound when I said the stone is not just decoration but practical in this sense :ugh:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    And while entitled to your opinion this is comment is ridiculous. Are you an engineer? How many homes in central Indiana have fallen in because of this construction? What should the folks that cannot afford your utopian dream of how a house is supposed to be built supposed to live in?

Before engineering overbuilt was the way we built. Now we have knowledge. (Not that humans don’t sometimes fail.) I would prefer an overbuilt home, but would rather have a home first and foremost. Calling engineering a crime is silly…
    I am a contractor by trade, and I know Leo personally.
    I have known him for years.
    While I do not believe he is an engineer, it would not surprise me at all to find out he actually does hold some type of engineering degree.

That said, engineering is not all it's cracked up to be.
    Ever hear of the show, "Engineering Disasters"?

Did you realize that firefighters are being killed in the U.S. at an alarming rate because "engineered" floor and ceiling trusses are failing in fires..
    There was a firefighter killed in the news last week due to a floor collapse.
    Many first responders are told not to go into fully engulfed structures if it's known they contain engineered trusses.
    A lot of municipalities are requiring that a database be kept of structures erected using engineered trusses specifically so the fire department can make informed decisions about their own.

Engineers are great, when they're right.
    Engineers are also human, and we all know what that means...

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I am a contractor by trade, and I know Leo personally.
    I have known him for years.
    While I do not believe he is an engineer, it would not surprise me at all to find out he actually does hold some type of engineering degree.

That said, engineering is not all it's cracked up to be.
    Ever hear of the show, "Engineering Disasters"?

Did you realize that firefighters are being killed in the U.S. at an alarming rate because "engineered" floor and ceiling trusses are failing in fires..
    There was a firefighter killed in the news last week due to a floor collapse.
    Many first responders are told not to go into fully engulfed structures if it's known they contain engineered trusses.
    A lot of municipalities are requiring that a database be kept of structures erected using engineered trusses specifically so the fire department can make informed decisions about their own.

Engineers are great, when they're right.
    Engineers are also human, and we all know what that means...
    I believe I acknowledged most of theses points, so I agree. Not sure if codes are set to be safe while the homes are burning. I am not aware of any builders in Indy that do not use trusses and most use engineered floor joists too. At some point all homes are unsafe to enter when on fire, newer homes may have less time than a 100 year old home built with hardwood timbers. I just objected to the calling of construction of new homes criminal.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I believe I acknowledged most of theses points, so I agree. Not sure if codes are set to be safe while the homes are burning. I am not aware of any builders in Indy that do not use trusses and most use engineered floor joists too. At some point all homes are unsafe to enter when on fire, newer homes may have less time than a 100 year old home built with hardwood timbers. I just objected to the calling of construction of new homes criminal.
    Object all you want.
    I tend to agree with Leo.

Top Bottom